Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - March 2020 - What did you do on your Willys today?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

March 2020 - What did you do on your Willys today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 3:00am
Spent time with the only stripper my wife approves of . . . LOL

Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2020 at 7:17am
Just be careful with that known carcinogen. It works well, but you need to keep away from the fumes & clean up any spills right away. Use the correct gloves. Ventilation would be good.

I worked with MEK for a few decades, I lost a few friends to cancer. IDK that the MEK was the cause, but I suspect that it was at least part of the cause. One fellow washed his bald head with MEK every day. He died of brain cancer at 52. Don't do that.

Please be careful.

Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2020 at 12:21am

Scanning through Craig’s List a couple weeks ago got me a driver side heater and a lower brush guard.

The heater is going to take a bit of work. So, that is on hold.

I spent the last couple days straightening up the rusty bent up guard. I shot some paint on it yesterday and installed it today. A simple install but takes a little time to pull apart the grill and reinstall. I like that it cleans up the grill and seals up the last portion of the radiator. It kept me entertained for a couple days.

Micah

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 28 Mar. 2020 at 12:23am
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2020 at 2:51am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Just be careful with that known carcinogen. It works well, but you need to keep away from the fumes & clean up any spills right away. Use the correct gloves. Ventilation would be good.

I worked with MEK for a few decades, I lost a few friends to cancer. IDK that the MEK was the cause, but I suspect that it was at least part of the cause. One fellow washed his bald head with MEK every day. He died of brain cancer at 52. Don't do that.

Please be careful.

I cut my teeth painting aircraft, so I've been using MEK since then. Its nasty stuff, but its also awesome. I don't know if I'd coat my dome in it thou. 

Edited by IRQVET - 28 Mar. 2020 at 5:03am
Dean
67 CJ5 (Sold)
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2020 at 4:17am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

One fellow washed his bald head with MEK every day. He died of brain cancer at 52. Don't do that.
I don’t mean to sound insensitive but why would he wash his head in MEK? What a foolish thing to do. 
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2020 at 6:14am
MEK was the only solvent that really cuts the cured B-2 sealant that we used at Boeing to seal the wing fuel tanks. Unless you keep clean while using this stuff, you just have to wait until it wears off. The rest of us were careful to stay clean & most of us wore stocking caps to keep it off of our heads. He did neither, he relied on MEK.

He was an "old fart" and knew everything, so our warnings about MEK, including reading him the MSDS sheets, fell on deaf ears.

Acetone only kind of worked & it required a lot of elbow grease. I never used either MEK, or acetone for cleaning myself up. I also almost always used the white coveralls that Boeing supplied for this and other purposes. It helped that we worked the graveyard shift, that way we were not sweating too badly in the summer months. Winters were chilly, but we had heaters for that.
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2020 at 2:39am
Put on a new vacuum advance today and went for a test drive. After I got back, my neighbor had his truck stuck in his backyard, so my 5 year old and I went over and pulled him out. 
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 4:28pm
Ran the new Walcks stainless fuel lines up to the new JMP Carter. Getting ready to reinstall the fuel tank.

Edited by IRQVET - 31 Mar. 2020 at 4:30pm
Dean
67 CJ5 (Sold)
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 4:49pm
Sandblasting.  Hard work!

IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 7:31pm
What combo are you using to blast? I have a red bull gravity feed unit, but my little 10 gallon/ 2HP compressor can't run it to save its life.
Dean
67 CJ5 (Sold)
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 7:54pm
A friend of mine rented me his blasting set up.  100lb pressure pot (lower left in the picture), supplied air hood (lower right in picture) & hoses.  I rented a 185CFM compressor and purchased (5) 60 lb bags of fine recycled glass abrasive.  

Rather than spend $1,500-$1,800 for someone else to do it, I figured I would do it myself.  Then again, I'm in the industrial coatings business, so it's familiar to me.  See the pic below.
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 10:30pm
At least you all are staying busy. I should be out there getting my 2 up.
john
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 10:32pm
where have you been? hope you're ok. good to see you posting again, or maybe I just missed 'em ? 😃
Rick Estes
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 10:45pm
I have been lurking, It took me several attempts to get back on.
Cant use that username, can't use that password, can't use that email as it is already in use. Who do think was using them? No way to contact anybody.
I'm back and hope to not give bad advice.
john

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2020 at 3:24am
John, Welcome back.

I missed you, Matt W.  
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2020 at 12:49am
I took her for a couple hour test drive. I needed to make sure the new lower brush guard worked. DisapproveTemp stayed at 160-170 the whole time. She really runs great. I had to take her for a short stint on the highway to get back to the house. 55 MPH and she was very smooth. I think a recent tire rotation and re-phasing the driveshaft helped with a vibration I was getting on deceleration.  
I didn't see any wild horses but did scare a couple Antelope.

Micah.

Edit: I just realized it is April and should have started a new list.

Edited by Steelyard Blues - 02 Apr. 2020 at 1:02am
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2020 at 12:57am
Working on the lighting harness for the Grill And I had to shorten the aluminum bottle I am using as a radiator overflow it was just to long. SO I cut off about 2" of the bottom then turned a new bottom on the lathe got lucky its just tight enough to be able to put it in with my hard rubber hammer and yet tight enough Brake cleaner would not pass through the joint. I think it will be just fine with coolant.

My new Ceramic Head light sockets showed up sooner then I thought so hopefully tomorrow I can get this done and move to the next thing on the list.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2020 at 2:42am
Great pics, Micah. Did you challenge those cantalopes to a drag race?
Mike in AZ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>