Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sanity Check, D44 Full Floater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 8:15pm
Final update on this project.  

First thanks to all who gave input and helped evolve this along the way.

I spoke about my lessons learned earlier, re: that if I were to do this again, I would do the Inner & outer Set47 bearings and change the snout thread to 1.75" x 16TPI as opposed to the 1.75" x 12TPI I used.  

I went with the 1.75 x 12TPI because that was the pitch of the Dexter spindle nuts I sourced.  Those nuts, thrust washer, and lockwasher turned out to be unusable to me.  I ended up making my own spindle nuts and thrust washer.  For the lock washer I sourced part #WI-09 from Whittet-Higgens and they work perfectly (they come slightly pre-bent and you need to flatten them before using them in this application).  

Because of having to make your own spindle nuts and washer, the large snout design is a PITA and frankly, I don't think it's worth it when using high tensile material.

If using this design (1.75" snout of 12 or 16 pitch), I think material selection is not terribly important and you could use any free machining steel if it saves you money.  I think if you went with the 1.625 x 16TPI snout, you should stick with a higher tensile material.

Another option is to use the dual Set47 setup with Toyota spindle threads of M42x1.  OEM replacement and high performance upgrade parts are commonly available for this thread pitch if you can stand the idea of having metrique cork sniffer threads instead of freedom units on your flatty.  The pro is the M42x1 gives you a greater OD and the minor diameter of the thread is about .050" greater than the 1.625" x 16 pitch and that also gives you a greater amount of material at the snout.  Again, may not be worth it but it is a straightforward and easier design to complete.

Another option is to use the 1.625 x 16 snout and eliminate the keyway altogether.  There are a variety of spindle/bearing shaft nuts on the market that have evolved past the use of tabbed washers & keyways.

One last item, the Set47 inner bearing race has a face diameter of 2.340" where the thrust washer contacts it.  The standard Jeep Set45 thrust washer has an OD of 2.180".  I've done no research to see if a larger diameter thrust washer exists for that application.  I do think it is important to have the thrust washer contact the entire face of the ID bearing race.

A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2020 at 5:24am
Has anyone ordered shafts yet? I’m struggling with my brake choice, I ordered a couple rotors this week and unhappy with them 
Jay
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2020 at 5:52am
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

Has anyone ordered shafts yet? I’m struggling with my brake choice, I ordered a couple rotors this week and unhappy with them 
Jay

Haven’t ordered them yet.  Hope to in the next couple of weeks.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2020 at 4:45pm
Been watching this as it is very interesting.  Just some food for thought.  I know you have done the hard work already and this is a little late but.....
-Gaffer
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2020 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Gaffer Gaffer wrote:

Been watching this as it is very interesting.  Just some food for thought.  I know you have done the hard work already and this is a little late but.....

No doubt that is stronger than Herm's version but it is still using 27 spline drive flanges.  What most of us involved in this want to avoid.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2020 at 5:10pm

The Roxor rear axle is also about 3.x" wider than the early jeep axle.

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2020 at 6:34pm
I ordered and then canceled mine.  I'm making a new set of spindles a full inch wider on each side and use the Toyota spindle nut dimensions.  It's one of those easier and cheaper to do it now than later deals.
A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2020 at 9:11pm
[/QUOTE]

No doubt that is stronger than Herm's version but it is still using 27 spline drive flanges.  What most of us involved in this want to avoid.
[/QUOTE]

True for the minor diameter of the spline but there may now be spindles ready for passing a 30 spline Dana 44 shaft.
-Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2020 at 12:23am

[/QUOT

[/QUOTE]

True for the minor diameter of the spline but there may now be spindles ready for passing a 30 spline Dana 44 shaft.
[/QUOTE]

Like herms kit the axel has to go in before the spindle, so I would guess off the shelf Yukon spindles.
Here is the install guide for it.
Jay

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2020 at 3:35pm

Like herms kit the axel has to go in before the spindle, so I would guess off the shelf Yukon spindles.
Here is the install guide for it.
Jay

The Roxor full-float kit uses the same Yukon early Jeep spindle as Herms kit. Still limited to a 27 spline outer connection. Personally, I don't think that is much stronger ( if at all ) than the stock 19 spline 2pc axle.

Being able to use a 30 spline carrier is nice for a larger locker selection though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2020 at 7:20pm
Just got off the phone with moser. They say they can't make the 6 by 3.4375 end.
Jay

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2020 at 8:38pm

Just got off the phone with moser. They say they can't make the 6 by 3.4375 end.
Jay

That seems a little off.  You would think those are all done CNC and they could do any pattern you want.  I guess Dutchman is it.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2020 at 11:24pm

Jay

That’s odd because they made a set for me just 2 months ago (August 2020).  There is a slight issue with the back side of the flange, however.  The backside is dished (slightly concave) to allow for spindle clearance on the larger axles assemblies.  This is a generic casting that they spline, shorten, and flange per your needs.  When they cut it down to the 3.435” and drilled the bolt holes they were slightly inside this recessed area.  This can cause lubricant to leak out if not addressed.  Mine have been on for 2 months now and one side is showing a little leaking of lubricant, while the other side is just fine.  Oh, and you will have to specify where you want the shaft to be polished for your axle tube seal (or polish it yourself with emery/crockus cloth like I did). I still feel this is our best option for flanged D44 axles at this time.  Here’s a couple of pics of mine.

My Videos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2020 at 6:21pm
Thanks to Rick for the help, I should have a set of axles next week. 
Jay
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2020 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Jay

That’s odd because they made a set for me just 2 months ago (August 2020).  There is a slight issue with the back side of the flange, however.  The backside is dished (slightly concave) to allow for spindle clearance on the larger axles assemblies.  This is a generic casting that they spline, shorten, and flange per your needs.  When they cut it down to the 3.435” and drilled the bolt holes they were slightly inside this recessed area.  This can cause lubricant to leak out if not addressed.  Mine have been on for 2 months now and one side is showing a little leaking of lubricant, while the other side is just fine.  Oh, and you will have to specify where you want the shaft to be polished for your axle tube seal (or polish it yourself with emery/crockus cloth like I did). I still feel this is our best option for flanged D44 axles at this time.  Here’s a couple of pics of mine.

What seal are you using?  I didn't find much of a 1.285" shaft size selection.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2020 at 3:44am
Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

What seal are you using?  I didn't find much of a 1.285" shaft size selection.

If you look closely at the axles they have a step 10” from the flange end.  This part of the axle is 1.248” in diameter, so the regular axle seal works fine.

My Videos
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2020 at 2:19pm
A note on the axle seal.

I initially tried to run the full floater with oil bath bearings with no success. Once everything was warmed up, the gear lube leaked past the stock spindle seal and would weep out at the axle flange.

I ended up adding one of the universal 'Seals-it' type seals to my spindle adapter spacer. It rides directly on the turned shaft. It hasn't leaked in going on 8 years now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2020 at 9:56pm
Brown Santa brought my shaft a day early today!! They look great and seem to fit properly.
Jay
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>