Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wrecker (Tow Truck) Equipment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wrecker (Tow Truck) Equipment
    Posted: 05 Aug. 2020 at 11:32pm
  I suddenly have a desire to turn one of my CJ’s into a lightweight wrecker, or tow truck. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a wrecker boom assy with winch, sling, etc?
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 06 Aug. 2020 at 12:06am
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2020 at 2:49am
With the right mindset and plenty of time a guy could possibly build a dandy setup custom to the CJ.. There's a guy here local that's got a ford and chebby 2-1/2tonners with booms for sale. They're real beat up but priced by the gold standard..he's lookin to sell em complete tho..

Edited by RICKG - 06 Aug. 2020 at 3:07am
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2020 at 3:15am
My current build will have a rear boom that’s already in progress.
The running gear is complete and a PTO winch has already been rear mounted. Runs off a Spicer 18H behind my overdrive.
The winch itself is mounted to all of the draw bar mounting points for maximum strength. It’s a friction disk type of winch so that I can operate it from inside or outside the cab.
The boom mounting is half done at this point. 
No actual work on the boom yet. Need to fit the body tub before I can do any more fabrication of the boom. Probably be an adjustable  jib pole design.
Not sure if it will see any wrecker duty at this point ???

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2020 at 1:52pm
In my previous text I apparently failed to note this is the wtb section.
I have not seen any nice wrecker booms designed specifically to take advantage of the jeeps strongest mounting locations.
I suggest you find your ideal PTO winch and get that properly fitted first.
The winch itself could feasibly be front mounted, bed mounted or rear mounted.
Then build a wrecker around the winch.
If you do find a nice cj boom be sure and let us know how it turns out..
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2020 at 3:19pm
The CJ2A Canfield wrecker with a folding boom was a nice but lightweight package.
The lowest serial number issued was purchased by Jim Marski, and now is owned by Daron Wanberg.

Daron is in the Littleton area +/1 20 miles if you want to see what Willys thought was a good flatfender wrecker with a manual hand crank winch.

If you like that package, you could easily weld one up, or there is a chance that someone here on the board from southern Ohio still has the Canfield rig he bought 5 years ago and never installed.

If you are looking for something more heavy duty for a flatfender, the rig Ken is describing was fitted to the CJ2A with a rear mounted PTO winch. It was not a 'folding' boom, so you couldn't install a rear seat over it, but you could leave the boom home and install a rear seat.

I had a 1956 CJ5 Wrecker. The bed mounted winch was so big there was a cutout in the half cab for it.
I sold the rig to someone from central PA 20 years ago. I'm not sure if I kept the helper springs.

Metalshaper also did a first class CJ5 or CJ6 wrecker a few years ago.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2020 at 3:58pm
  Thanks Keith. I’ll have to contact Daron, maybe he’ll let me take a look and some pictures. Maybe that other person here will respond. I sure can’t pay an outrageous price for one, and kind of figured I may have to fab one up. A hand-crank winch would be fine for my purposes. 
BW 

47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2020 at 12:29am
It can be done. Looks like it would be easy enough to fab up the gantry to make it look original. The old ratchet and pawl winches turn up every now and again.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2020 at 1:24am
  Thanks, 47. That gives me a start, anyway. 
BW 

mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2020 at 2:26am
Bruce - I have an old wrecking yard truck that has the remains of a Manley(?) hand crank lift.
Although the boom arms were replaced with heavy pipe, I believe the drum, gear sprocket and framework around it is still there.

I'll try to get pictures this weekend and post here.
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2020 at 2:28am
Good Evening Bruce:

Here are some pictures I found on the net of the folding Canfield.  The pictures of the original appear to be a hand operated model.  The brochure shows it as a center PTO.  I have the remnants of a 48 2A that had one of these Center PTO driven wrecker booms.  One of these days I will install it in another rig.  Enjoy!

Regards,

Walter

BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2020 at 2:38am
I'm not sure how much you would actually be able to do with one of these. As the CJ is fairly light, and very short, and the pulley on the boom is well behind the rear wheels, it seems like the capacity would be pretty limited. maybe tow a Yaris? I have some experience with small booms on tractors and what you can lift is pretty much determined by how much counter weight you have hung on the front. Even to get something like a 12" oak log off the ground with my 870 to drag it I'm steering with the rear brakes cause the front wheels are barely on the ground.And the 870 weighs more than twice what a 2a weighs, and it's longer. This is why the draw bar on a tractor is located where it is.

BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2020 at 3:01am
Big smile What do I plan to pick up and carry with it? Nothing more than other flatfender jeeps. But there are pictures and films (remember films? They call them "video" now) showing flatfender jeeps and CJ5's equipped with wrecker booms, lifting and towing 1950's full-size cars.
  I understand your troubles with the oak log and the 870. I've used the blade on the back of my 8N to lift and move jeeps, and yes, it is a brake-steered deal. LOL
BW

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2020 at 4:42am
Good Evening BD:

When I bought the wrecker jeep it was directly from a former dealer located about 25 miles from where I live.   It had been sitting for a number of years and had fallen into very poor shape.  It was in bad enough shape that I went to the added expense of hiring a roll back truck to pick it up and deliver it to my yard, rather than using my home made car hauler trailer.  He hooked the winch to it, by the time he got it on the truck bed it had completely split in half, both the frame and the body, in the front seat area.  Both were way beyond any hope of repair, and I have done some amazing things as we all have with various derelicts.  The real value was the wrecker body, PTO and accessories.  They were all there.  

The owner of the dealership was retiring and told me that when he was just a yonker, maybe 14 or 15, he worked part time for the then owner of that same dealership.  He was there in 1948 when the jeep was purchased brand new.  At that point they were a Willys dealership.  As he explained it to me, at the time they ordered it, it was a dealer option only.

The entire kit included helper coil springs as shown on one of pictures on this thread.  It also included a large flat "Pusher"bumper.  There was also a counter weight that went the front bumper.  The retiring dealer told me that they used it to tow in all sorts of vehicles including some of the larger GM vehicles such as full size Buick's and Oldsmobile's.  The only issue they had was the brakes.  Some of the bigger cars tended to push the smaller 2A down the hill!  At some point they changed the brake drums to a larger size.  I dont recall exactly what size.  I will try to get a measure on them over the weekend.

The other thing we all have to remember is 75 years ago our country was a lot more adventurous and there were not as many rules and safety concerns that we have today.  So their attitude was if it can physically haul it regardless of its size -- then why not.  It was a very different time than today.

Regards,

Walter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2020 at 4:52am
Good Evening BD:

Here is a link to another thread on this site from 2014 that shows promo pictures of a 2A towing both a 3/4 ton Dodge WC-51 and a large 40/50's vintage boat with the front wheels off of the ground.  Enjoy!!!

Titled: Tow Truck Option

Regards,

Walter

47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2020 at 5:09am
Here's one that has the wrecker set up on a Willys Pickup.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-Willys/303637029823?hash=item46b22d63bf:g:X1QAAOSw8lZfIZp3

Edited by 47 deuce alpha - 09 Aug. 2020 at 5:11am
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2020 at 6:10am
Bruce, That folding tow rig was the style that Daron owns. I think it is serial number 13.

I hadn't seen the ad for the wrecker from Daveys.
He's about an hour from me.
I've bought 3 Jeeps and lots of parts from him.
I'm about due for a trip to his place as soon as I get some money...
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2020 at 1:11pm
In my career of Propane related fun, we had a FC170 with a pair of "gin poles" and a pto winch that we used to move tanks with. The comment of what it will lift is quite correct. With a long bed and the 6 cylinder flathead engine, it did well until you got to the 1000 gallon size. That would lift the front wheels if you hit a bump. LOL. Felt like one finger power steering. We eventually moved the lifting set up to a F700 Ford Truck. That did the trick for us. 

I'm never surprised with what Willys Overland  thought their little American Wonder could do with a 60 HP 4 cylinder. The old days of the gas station service Jeep that was supposed to go haul in a broken down vehicle must have generated some amazing tales. The Jeep pickup wrecker picture reminded me of this. 

Seeing one of the WW2 Tugs with two rear axles and a 5th wheel plate in the bed that was supposed to haul a truck trailer----------all with 60 HP. What a joke. Cool looking but come on. 

I think moving engines with a CJ2A would be fine, but a entire Jeep, you are asking for allot. Very slowly I might add. 

I think the early frame in a universal Jeep is not heavy enough. You'll need a CJ3A frame at the least. A pickup would be much better. 

I look forward to what you end up with BW!  Big smile  Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2020 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by mullen46cj2a mullen46cj2a wrote:

Bruce - I have an old wrecking yard truck that has the remains of a Manley(?) hand crank lift.
Although the boom arms were replaced with heavy pipe, I believe the drum, gear sprocket and framework around it is still there.

Framework is bigger than I thought. More suited for a truck.
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>