Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WellFedHobo's '48 CJ2A project (#158011)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 31>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 10:24pm
  Wow, Ron, having a bad day?
  How dare you attribute WellFedHobo’s problems to his own actions or abilities. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 10:26pm
I'm definitely trying to not take the comments so seriously anymore. Obviously mistakes have been made and I've been harder on myself for letting them happen than others have been. I don't really have any automotive mentors available to me and I haven't found a local shop that will work on antiques, so I've had to learn by doing and by watching YouTube videos or asking questions here. I'm at least teachable, seeing as though the Jeep is (usually) drivable instead of rotting in a barn.
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 11:34pm
Heck yeah, I would buy you a beer while discussing it. 

1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 10:08am
If there is any doubt about the clamp holding, you can use a hose clamp around the axel housing with a piece of rubber hose around the brake line to pad it.
Not original, but very functional and if you are paranoid, you can add more. LOL
1946 CJ2A 14098

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 11:48am
I finally have the top bows for my summer top. Jason at Kaiser Willys really took care of me on this one. I was going to test out the Omix ones so you guys didn't have to, but Omix couldn't ship them to KW in anything resembling a timely manner. So after over a month of waiting, he was able to snag a set of Carl Walck's top bows for me instead (in addition to grabbing a pair of the brackets from Carl that hold the top bow components to the windshield when not in use).

I've done a test fit and it's mostly ok but not great, not because of the top bows or canvas, but because my two side brackets are gone and the two rear brackets are dinged and rusted. (And the VEC windshield that's on it has a bunch of holes that I'll likely have to patch and re-drill just to get the studs to be stable.

The Jeep has temporarily become plywood storage but I hope to get around to installing the new side brackets and repairing the rear ones soon. I might see if I can get one of Joe DeYoung's rear bracket mandrels to make them round again.
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 10:29pm
I found a deep well socket that was just about the right size to hammer down the rear pockets. It wasn't long enough but the top bows will sit about 3/4ths of the way down. I hope that's close enough for now. 

I've had to scour the internet for pictures and such for top bow installation instructions. There don't seem to be a lot of them that are really indexed as "instructions". 

This strap doesn't seem to be positioned right. I have the bow in the only intact section of bracket I have on that side so it's in the right place. I don't know if it's supposed to go forwards or backwards. I may need to gently persuade the rod and that L bracket to be straight. (Again, no clear instructions to be found yet...)

The straps are finally able to tighten down on the footman loops, though it's still sitting a little high. I need to be able to send the rear bow down to the bottom of the pocket. More finesse required on the rear pockets... 

Drivers side, mirror image of the passenger side. I don't believe I technically need these brackets and bars up front for a summer top, though, because it seems like their only purpose is to hold the doors that I don't have yet. 

All I have left is to bleed the brakes and I should be good to go again. 

I got a better look at the brake line situation while replacing the front axle brake line. It looks like the collapsed passenger side front spring and the blown shock allowed the axle to bottom out against the broken/half height bump stop. Normally wouldn't have been an issue but Bubba front bumper mount that's welded on the outside of the frame seems to have hit the bracket on the axle that holds the soft line. The clip was no longer there and the bracket is twisted. That allowed the hard line to wobble around freely with the soft line and contributed to the brake line. I have some new hose clamps to lock the brake line down to the axle once I confirm no leaks.

Edited by WellFedHobo - 28 May 2023 at 2:18pm
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
coastiereid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coastiereid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 12:44pm
Looking good.  

When I put my cover on ( after the body rebuild)- I used the position of the straps to mount my footman loops. Just because thr amount of work I had done and it wouldn't have matched original measurements, 

Looking good!

Edited by coastiereid - 28 May 2023 at 12:45pm
APRIL
1963 F100
1952 m38 "Salty"
52 M100 (DK) "Seabag"
Former MKC, NAVENG2,now LT (engineer officer) USCG. Served aboard 6 cutters, Recruit Company Commander and Operation Iraqi Freedom/New Dawn vet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 10:50pm
It's roadworthy again. The front axle brake line is replaced and double clamped down with fresh clamps instead of one of those old "quick release" style ones that it came with. No brake fluid leaks so far after the "around the block" test drive. 

I've got the top buckled down a little better than before but I do need to get the side brackets for the top bows welded in place. There's still some massaging to do on the rear bow pockets but I'll have to get a hotter torch for that. 

I've still got to overhaul the windshield, replace all suspension components, and rebuild or replace the rear axle. I also need to pull the transmission and transfer case at some point to swap over internals to the new transmission case. And I suppose I need to get around to swapping out the oil pan. And then installing the transmission skid plate. And I need to replace the exhaust gaskets to fix that leak.

What is it about vintage Jeeps? You scratch off a ton of things from the To Do list and the list only gets longer.

Edited by WellFedHobo - 28 May 2023 at 11:10pm
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 11:10pm
Ahhh.... don’t worry about it. Like the rest of us you’re an addict. Accept it. Jeeps are jeeps and you spend money on them. They run great for a period of time and then when you think you are the greatest  Jeep mechanic there is the old gal throws a monkey wrench in the works and you re flat on your back again. Enjoy the experience.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 4:16pm
I ended up getting a rear seat for the Jeep. It's an MD Juan repro. A few years back I picked up a used set of seat cushions off eBay even though I didn't have a rear seat at the time. (I needed the fronts, though. They've been installed for awhile.) The rears have been sitting in the Bantam trailer since then so I'm justifying this to myself as "cleaning out the trailer" since it has become junk storage. I got inspired by Scratch's rear seat spring clip rebuild so I started to tear down and rebuild my own. 

Mine were rusted in the open position, so I can tell that there WAS a rear seat in the Jeep at some point. I figured the springs were long gone, though.

Surprise, it turns out the springs were still there and still springy! Just really rusted.

They seem like they're springy enough to work for my purposes.

I've sand blasted, primed, and painted the clips. The rest of the parts got blued. If the hardware store was open on Sunday, I'd go get some stainless steel rod instead of reusing the old ones. But if I put the ugly sides inward, they should function sufficiently. 

Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 6:01pm
Wow those are in better condition than any of mine!
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 10:51pm
They turned out pretty well. I almost went to the Home Depot to get some stainless steel rod but reused the originals despite the rust pitting. It was a lot of work but it saved $70-100ish plus shipping on new ones.

This of course let me install the rear seat as securely as it was originally intended.

It's nice to finally have those rear seat cushions on a seat frame instead of taking up space in the Bantam trailer since December of 2020.

Edited by WellFedHobo - 04 June 2023 at 10:58pm
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2023 at 7:38pm
I did a (sort of long winded) video on installing the top bows and the summer top. I hadn't really seen any videos on the top bows themselves. They make a lot of sense now that I've worked with them and test fitted a few times before the final install so I thought I'd share the details. 

It's nothing new for everyone who already has top bows and some kind of soft top, but for those of us who are still new to vintage Jeeps, it might help someone. 

Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2023 at 12:43am
Just remember you are not learning if you don't make mistakes , keep up the good work 
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2023 at 10:58am
Here's the video on the rear seat retaining clip refurb and the rear seat installation. This will probably complete the "accessorizing the Jeep" phase for now while I turn my focus back to more important things, like overhauling the suspension and fixing the leaks. (Though I was looking at a Tractor Supply farm jack.)

Brad
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2023 at 5:52pm
I keep trying to take the Jeep to a local cars and coffee event and the next one is Saturday, but once again I'm having fuel issues. It runs fine for awhile but loses fuel pressure after a bit.  It has got to be the fuel pump this time. I think it was an Omix pump that was bought 3 years ago and it will fill the line and the filter, but if it's parked the fuel will drain back down and empty the filter, and it should not. I don't know if it's going into the oil or not yet but I'm to the point of throwing a part at it to see if it changes anything. It's one of those split glass style ones that are weird so maybe if I switch to the style with the single chamber and the raised cylinder in the middle with a screen over it, it'll work more consistently. 
Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2023 at 6:16pm
Oh boy...tough stuff right there...I always say the hardest part of owning an old vehicle is driving it...

Hope you can figure out these gremlins and get back out on the road with it...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2023 at 12:11pm
Dad and I took the Bantam out on a road trip. Couldn't take the Jeep on this one, too far on busy interstates. (I'm not that brave when it comes to Arkansas drivers on roads with 75 mph speed limits.) Got to use the chuck wagon cover at highway speeds for the first time and it definitely caused a little drag. We averaged 55-65 mph. It was a little bouncy when empty but it is a 500 lb trailer on bias ply NDTs so that was expected. Fortunately I already bought shock mounts and shocks for it months ago. Since it's an early T3-C, it has the WWII era features like the holes for the shock mounts. Should be a quick little project later.

Met up with Michael (cowboy64 on here) down in southeast Arkansas and picked up a pair of CJ2A axles to rebuild. I'm hoping the rear axle will end up in better shape internally than my current one after the rebuild. If so, I'll be in a better position with the Jeep project. If not, I'll at least get some practice with evaluating and rebuilding axles without making the Jeep non-drivable in the process. Win/Win in my opinion. 

These are currently in fully unknown condition and have been sitting up outside for awhile. No idea what year Jeep they came off of. The Dana 25 axle has the remnants of olive drab paint on it. The Dana 41 has some kind of dark greenish paint on it too but it's oxidized and mostly gone. I'll start evaluating them soon. They're currently pretty solidly locked up. Probably the brake shoes rusted to the drums, hopefully not the internals. No idea if there's oil in them or not.

Brad
1945 T3-C #1431
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 31>