Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Ag PTO shaft to winch adapter?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMCSSeabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Ag PTO shaft to winch adapter?
    Posted: 23 Nov. 2021 at 12:22pm
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know of an adapter that will couple the Ag gearbox driveshaft to a 7/8" Koenig PTO winch input shaft? I know I can make something, but it would be great to find something even remotely close to working off the shelf.
Thanks in advance!
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2021 at 9:02am
That driveshaft is so large you are probably better off pulling it and building a new shaft to run from the PTO all the way to the winch.  You won't need a 2" tubular driveshaft to run the winch and if you wanted to sell it there is a market for them.  Building up a new shaft would be fairly simple.  I am thinking of the weight of the shaft hanging off that small input on the winch could also cause issues if anything is out of round/out of balance.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
CMCSSeabee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMCSSeabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2021 at 11:16am
Thanks for the reply! Although I agree with everything you said, I have all of the parts I need to do this (except an adapter!) and would really like to see if I can make it work. I may weld a 7/8" shaft coupler to a modified ag box input coupler. 
I have built my own PTO winch shafts before, so no mystery there. I have a Koenig model 40 twin stick and Koenig model 100's going front and rear. Low profile rear and upright front. This is actually going in a 43 GPW.
I did a similar Ramsey set up on my FC 170 with great results. Great fun having PTO winches fore and aft.
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2021 at 1:42pm
Sounds fun!
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2021 at 8:59pm
If I could dig out my model 50 to verify I thought the rear output on the dual stick Koenig was a keyed shaft already.  That could easily take a new shaft, although I hear you on trying to reuse what you already have.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMCSSeabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2021 at 12:30am
It is, but I already have an Ag shaft adapter on it. Also, the output is a 1" shaft and the winch is a 7/8" shaft, so I'd have to do a little swapping of yokes between two sets of u-joint pairs.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMCSSeabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2021 at 9:35pm
I took a 7/8" shaft bushing and welded it to the Ag adapter. I used an extra piece of shaft to line them up internally, cut a deep V into the ends of each piece on my lathe, applied a tack weld, spun and trued them on the lathe, and applied another tack weld on the opposing side and re-checked true. After that I finished welding them together. 
I would post a picture, but I can't figure out how to convert a jpeg into a pdf!
Seabee
 Post Reply Post Reply