Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

In tank filter idea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dconcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In tank filter idea
    Posted: 24 Nov. 2021 at 2:07pm
Came up with this after reading and seeing how easy rust will settle into the fuel line.
Cheap and easy to make. A bit trickier to install! But do-able.
Two pan magnets from automatic transmissions, and I cut open and old automatic transmission filter, for the fine brass mesh.
Any transmission shop will have this stuff laying around and probably give it to you for five bucks.
Cut the mesh to fit, put it between the thin magnets, push it up with your finger to create a “hill” so rust won’t settle and clog the screen. Hope it helps someone.
Dconcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dconcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2021 at 2:09pm

Edited by Dconcb - 24 Nov. 2021 at 2:53pm
Dconcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dconcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2021 at 2:55pm
RonF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2021 at 3:56pm
neat idea Wink
Best Regards,

Ron

Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2021 at 3:57pm
Dconb

What a great idea and thanks for sharing. Now I will have to go find a auto trans shop and see if I can get the items. 

Is sure would work good in my 45 2A.

Have a great Holiday weekend,

Frank
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2021 at 6:17pm
How will this work better then a servicable filter located right past the tank? Summit racing and others sell 40 micron stainless steel mesh filters that can be opened up and cleaned. I have one in my fuel line with a valve between it and the tank that allows me to service the filter with minimal loss of fuel no matter how full the tank might be.

If your in tank filter were to get plugged up how would you service it?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Dconcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dconcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2021 at 8:57pm
It probably wouldn’t work better. But, if you tank is pretty rusty, it’s fairly likely you’ll create a leak attempting to install the 40 micron filter ( that will likely need service often if your tanks pretty rusty)
But for five bucks and five minutes, maybe someone’s  jeep will stay running long enough to plow the driveway or whatnot.
Not trying to reinvent the filter to make a million. Just an idea.
Happy thanksgiving 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2021 at 10:06am
A creative idea for sure, but I don't see an advantage in placing a screen inside a rusty tank where it will be difficult to service.

I would address the rusty tank first, either by cleaning and sealing or replacing. Nothing more problematic than rust in the fuel system in my opinion. 

I would also have at least one good filter that is accessible for maintenance. I like the Carter glass bowl filters with the ceramic element and I mount them at the carburetor. On my CJ5 I have such a filter, with an additional canister filter mounted behind the floor riser. 

I used to fool with cleaning out old tanks, but after mixed results, and a long walk home a few months ago, I prefer to replace a questionable tank, especially if it is rusty inside. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2021 at 10:38am
New CJ2A gas tanks are cheap - under $200 and easy to install. I'd much rather just put a new tank in and be done with it. 

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2021 at 12:52pm
  I can see that it has good qualities and bad, but it is an ingenious idea. I have had fuel delivery problems in the past (that’s how I learned so much about them) and can see where this might be a good solution, even if temporary. I missed a day of FCT years ago because of a rat-turd sized piece of silicone sealer that kept plugging the outlet when the fuel level was low (you all know damn well that I was not responsible for it being in there!). This screen idea would have allowed me to enjoy the day’s run. I can see where if one had flaky rust in his tank this would allow him to enjoy his jeep, and if he cleaned the screen on a regular basis he would eventually collect up all the junk. The problem as I see it is as has been mentioned- How do you install it, and how do you service it?
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2021 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I can see that it has good qualities and bad, but it is an ingenious idea. How do you install it, and how do you service it?
BW 

What BW said!
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Dconcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dconcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2021 at 9:44am
So obviously, it would be way better to buy a new tank. And for a lot of Jeep’s, that means new straps, some anti squeak, likely new lines if original,maybe cutting out the seat bolts if rusted solid. and etc…so likely not 200$ and an hours work.

I’d originally tied to come up with a nylon thimble type that sits in the I.D. Of the drain hole. (Think any “modern” motorcycle tank) But couldn’t make it happen easily. So I did this.
My tank is new. So if you were to do this on old rusty, I’d put a magnet in a sock, affix it to a flexible stick (tent pole perhaps) and run the sock magnet around the tank to clean up the loose stuff first.
To install, I had some some old plastic bed liner pieces cut into strips I had used for a project long ago. One down the tank neck made for a nice ramp to slide the magnet deep into the tank.
I then used a large speaker magnet to drag the “filter” home.
    The mesh screen, although fine, isn’t likely so fine as to clog up, and the 1/2” bump the screen makes, should keep it clear enough to flow what the pump asks for.  
I get crafty out in the garage, and figured what the heck!
    So this isn’t better than sliced bread. No.
But it is better than burnt toast!

Edited by Dconcb - 26 Nov. 2021 at 9:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply