Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Special Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top Bow review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top Bow review
    Posted: 17 Sep. 2008 at 2:33pm
Sorry to start another "customer satisfaction" thread, but i think this will be the easiest for me right now, as we are still without full power...i have had several requests about purchasing the bows, but the buyers want to hear from people that have already purchased...so..whether you bought from jpet on the "A" list, or from me on the "B" list, if your product satisfied you, would you please leave a note here so others may read....thx again, see you when the full power returns...low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2008 at 4:33pm
I got to see Westfork Boyd's bows when they arrived.. Let me be the first to say they are spot on reproductions of originals, made very well, and every bit as good as having a mint original set. In fact, I bet a few sets will eventually make their way to Ebay and be sold as original bows.

They are NOT made like most offshore MD JUAN type stuff.. they fit and look right first time every time.

In fact, the research and engineering behind these bows is so impressive, I wouldn't hesitate to use a set of bows to check if my TUB was correct.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2008 at 5:59pm
I'll happily reply to this, Low!

I have one of the early sets from Jeff (jpet), and when they arrived, I installed them immediately, of course. They were not only spot-on, but I was VERY impressed by the fit and rigidity, once I had them in place. The impression that one would get from seeing these seemingly-frail looking pieces of tubing sticking up into mid-air would have you think that they're going to rattle and shake, but that's NOT the case...they're SOLID!

And for those who followed the earlier, and lengthy discussion as they were being developed, etc., may have seen my comments about the fit of the center bow's taper to the uprights. Well, that was simply the result of "teething problems" (really because Jeff was trying to be TOO perfect!). That was corrected quite a while back, and I now have replacement pieces that corrected the problem completely.

Frankly, my single problem with the set was my own...deciding how to hang them while painting! <g> These things are beautiful!
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2008 at 8:16pm
Low,
I'll get some pictures, hopefully later this week, when I get the windshield installed. They look great and fit perfectly. Jack, I used some old coat hangers to paint mine, put a bend in the end that will fit tightly into the tube, then you can hang them from a handy rafter and shoot away, had to fiddle with the bend to get a tight enough fit to hold them, but the bent pieces were no problem since the hanger wasn't pointing straight up. (I hung them bent leg up). They have to be metal coat hangers, the plastic ones won't work.LOL
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2008 at 8:31pm
I purchased two sets of bows, one for each Jeep, and am absolutely satisfied with them.  They fit well, and are made to look just like the originals.  The members having original bows have taken side-by-side photos of the new bows adjacent to original bows, and the new bows are spot on.  The icing on the cake is that the price is right, and the bows are made by fellow-enthusiasts.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2008 at 11:12pm
Mine are  PEEEEEEEEEEEEEERFECT  !!!!!!!!!!!     A +++  Engineering..

Someday I will get them painted 
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
mogger7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mogger7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2008 at 12:57am
Got my set of bows just last week, They look great and fit great. I've seen some of the other repos out there and these are by far the best .  Thanks again
mogger7

You'll start doing the canvas next week RIGHT.
mogger7
bloodspoint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bloodspoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2008 at 3:57am
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

Sorry to start another "customer satisfaction" thread, but i think this will be the easiest for me right now, as we are still without full power...i have had several requests about purchasing the bows, but the buyers want to hear from people that have already purchased...so..whether you bought from jpet on the "A" list, or from me on the "B" list, if your product satisfied you, would you please leave a note here so others may read....thx again, see you when the full power returns...low

I feel your pain on the power outage. It was like we had a hurricane with no rain.
Anyway, what's the story with the bows? Are they readily available somewhere? I saw a couple f threads with people measuring and sending CAD drawings. I would really like to put a canvas top on my '48 2A, but of course I don't have any of the supporting hardware.

Thanks,

Sean
'48 CJ-2A, Cincinnati, OH
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2008 at 5:09am
Originally posted by bloodspoint bloodspoint wrote:

I feel your pain on the power outage. It was like we had a hurricane with no rain.
Anyway, what's the story with the bows? Are they readily available somewhere? I saw a couple f threads with people measuring and sending CAD drawings. I would really like to put a canvas top on my '48 2A, but of course I don't have any of the supporting hardware.

Thanks,

Sean
'48 CJ-2A, Cincinnati, OH
Just PM Lowenuf, or go to www.topbows.com, and place an order. He's the one making them nowadays, having took over the manufacture from Jpet a while ago.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Roger B View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2008 at 6:32am
Have received the top bows from Jpet, and I have compared  them side by side with the orginal sets that I have, and I could only say:

You could not made them better than this!!

If all reproductions was of this high quality, the Willys world was much easier.

Roger B

1946 CJ2A Serial # 22728 Harvest Tan in parts

1947 CJ2A Serial #101548 Luzon Red Only 16000 km

1947? Bantam T3-C Serial # 20006
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2008 at 2:01pm
update from me.... one week now, and still no power.....they say maybe sunday, then they say maybe wednesday...who the heck knows :(  i know one thing for sure, monday i will take delivery of a new Generac 14KW whole house genset, and we will be without power no more :)  sorryt for the delay on the bows guys, some things are out of my control :)  low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2008 at 2:35pm
Very Very please with my bows! A great deal of time and effort went into the research and reproduction of these bows. I have seen both the 1st generation and 2nd generation bows and the are equally as good.

I don't think anyone on this site has one negative word to say about the bows or their makers.

OK theres your pat on the back, now get back to making bows!!
contact148 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote contact148 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2008 at 2:52pm
Power you dont need not stinking power to make bows  !!Wink

I was on the "A"  list Jpet made mine. Im VERY happy with them  they fit perfect even through the my tub is NOT perfectly straight
heres when I 1st got them  since painted

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2008 at 1:25am
ok, power is restored, bow making will resume on wednesday :)  thanks for your patience...low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2008 at 2:32am

update from me.... one week now, and still no power.....they say maybe sunday, then they say maybe wednesday...who the heck knows :(  i know one thing for sure, monday i will take delivery of a new Generac 14KW whole house genset, and we will be without power no more :)  sorryt for the delay on the bows guys, some things are out of my control :)  low

Mike, I know what you mean, we just got powered up today. Whata bitch, now carry on and more power to ya LOL
Too many jeeps.....GOT JEEP ?
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2008 at 9:39pm
I finally got the windshield installed so I could try at least the front bows (to install the Reedkini), they dropped right in. Here's a pic of the inside, there will be a couple more new pics in the project section. Great work, anticipating the rest of the parts to complete the puzzle.LOL

Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply