Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

11" Brake Upgrade - Tips and Lessons Learned?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2021 at 3:28pm
I'm the guy who started this thread over 3 years ago.  I can says that I love my 11" brakes. Discs are nice no doubt. But for these lightweight vehicles, the 11" bendix brake upgrade really makes a big difference without the need for a different master cylinder, proportioning valve or anything else.  For me, it was the right thing to do and I couldn't be happier with them.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Bills46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bills46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 9:57am
Thanks I will order 9inch brake kit from Herm today. Has anyone installed
a side draft carburetor on an F Head engine? If so which carburetor 
and manifold were used? My CJ2A has an F Head and the hood is modified to
fit the taller engine. I want to be able to use the original hood with the F Head engine.

WSPete
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 10:11am
So Scott, Why did you decide to order 9" brakes when 11" brakes are much better? Heck, if you order the correct backing plates & hardware, you even get self-adjusting brakes. The cost should not be much more than for 9" brakes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bills46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 10:18am
I’m ordering the 11 inch brakes. Made a mistake in my post.
Can’t wait to get rid of the 9 inch brakes.
Thanks 
WSPete
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 10:30am
OK, That makes sense. I have done the same slip up myself. No worries.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 11:17am
It was reading through this thread a couple of years ago that made up my mind to upgrade to 11" drums rather than disc brakes. A lot of good information in this thread.  

Nothing wrong with discs but I just don't like the look of that on an old Jeep and the 11" brakes stop these Jeeps with authority. 

Were I planning on a lot of wet and muddy use for my Jeeps I would probably consider disc brakes, but I will not be doing a lot of that.

I found the "kits" out there to be too expensive and though the backing plates are getting scarce they can still be found with some searching, which is what I did until I accumulated enough of them for my 3 Jeep projects.

Last year I upgraded to 11" on my CJ2A, recently finished doing the same on my CJ5, and have started doing the conversion on the set of axles going into my MB clone build. 

I am very pleased with how well they work. The greatest advantage besides better braking is the self adjustment feature which keeps all four brakes consistent and they don't pull to one side as the 9" system will when not kept in adjustment. 

Just be sure if you order a "kit" it is one built on the self adjusting Bendix backing plates and not one built on the old Willys truck plates some offer as a "kit". 

I looked at what Herm offers and his kit is the self adjusting Bendix design. His price is also very reasonable. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 27 July 2021 at 11:27am
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Just be sure if you order a "kit" it is one built on the self adjusting Bendix backing plates and not one built on the old Willys truck plates some offer as a "kit". 

Nothing wrong with the "old Willys truck" 11" brakes if that is what you want. With one adjuster nut per wheel it takes about 10 minutes to adjust all four wheels as part of an "all wheels up off the ground" grease job. I installed the "old Willys truck" 11" brakes on Ol' Red in 2018 and now have 3500 miles on her since then with no hint of needing a brake adjustment. I have done all my own mechanic work on her for 52 years and was always having to adjust the 9" brakes. The "old Willys truck" 11" brakes were on of the best safety modifications I ever made besides changing over to 12 volt and putting turn signals on her. Off road I stay out of water and mud as best I can because NOTHING will crap up a brake system worse than water and mud, self adjusting or not. Ask me how I know...

(I mud-bogged Ford 4x4's in the mud for several years in my youth. Completely ruined the brakes on a '71 Ford F250 4x4. Gave it to one of my daughters as a wedding present 20 years ago because that was what she wanted for a present. She still drives it for farm chores today. The brakes were completely overhauled before I gave it to her!)
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bills46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2021 at 4:24pm
Thanks to all of you for the help. I ordered 11 inch kit from Herm.
Self adjusting all Wagner parts. Can’t wait to get them.
WSPete
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 10:04am
Are you just converting the front brakes or all four?

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bills46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 1:25pm
All four
WSPete
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2022 at 6:16pm
I just completed the 11” Bendix upgrade on all 4 corners and did my first test drive today. All I can say is wow what an improvement. The Jeep really stops now. I used the stock 2A MC and brake lines - just tweaking the connections to each wheel cylinder. Also took the opportunity to replace all the left hand wheel studs with right hand. I probably read this thread at least twice - very helpful. 
If you are not satisfied with your stock brakes, this is a great safety upgrade. 

Edited by JohnB - 27 Feb. 2022 at 10:58pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112