Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

11 inch Brakes - Head Scratcher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 11 inch Brakes - Head Scratcher
    Posted: 22 Jan. 2021 at 9:59pm

Greetings Jeepers

There appears to be an issue with the auto adjustment setup.  Specifically, the wheel adjusting thing-a-ma-jig not touching cogs on adjusting wheel, allowing self adjustment and keeping wheel from backing off.

I purchased the backing plates off eBay and have always thought they are from a 72-75 CJ.  They are rear plates that I have put on the front.  All my research seemed to indicate that only difference front and back was the hole for e-brake which I plugged.

It seems that the cable is too long.  My thoughts are maybe I don't have a 72-75 CJ and the hardware kits for others may be the answer but for what?  I would think that there aren't too many different variations.

Thoughts, ideas are much appreciated !

My Setup

Someone else's build I got off the Forum and like many others out there.Ermm

Thanks for any support.

R

Rob

'48 #170747
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2021 at 11:51pm
Are the brake shoes expanded out to where they almost fit the drum?
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2021 at 12:23am
Are the links/push rods at the wheel cylinders the correct length ?
How did you source those ?
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2021 at 1:35am
So if you pull on the cable it does not advance the wheel? Cause everything looks pretty right to me.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2021 at 3:24am
Something isn't right, and I see why you think the cable may be too long. The adjuster lever should be higher on the cog, as in the other picture.

The adjuster itself doesn't look right. Looks shorter than the one in the other picture.

I think you have an adjuster set for a different brake. 

I have assembled six sets of 11" brakes to use on my two Jeeps in the last couple of months using a mixture of backing plates from 66-72 CJ5s, 73 Ford Bronco, and 72 IHC Scout. The adjuster kits I used for all of these were ordered for a 1972 CJ5 and the one in front of me now is a "Carlson" product with a part number 3008119L for a left side brake. I ordered all of my hardware and adjuster kits from PartsGeek.com. 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2021 at 12:32pm
Just to make sure of what you have. 

Measure the backing plate, and measure the length of the adjuster so I can compare to what I have in the garage.

flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2021 at 4:43pm
If the adjuster wheel is spun to adjust or spread the shoes, will it not put the adluster arm in the correct position on the star wheel ?
Adjuster is fully closed now.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
rmahan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2021 at 4:51pm
Good Point, I'll check!
Rob

'48 #170747
rmahan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2021 at 4:53pm
Not sure where I got the cylinder push rods.  Scrounged them up somewhere because they are used.

Rob

'48 #170747
rmahan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2021 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Are the brake shoes expanded out to where they almost fit the drum?

No the are not.
Rob

'48 #170747
rmahan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2021 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

So if you pull on the cable it does not advance the wheel? Cause everything looks pretty right to me.

Yes it does but you have to pull it a long way and then it doesn't stay engaged with the cog.
Rob

'48 #170747
rmahan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2021 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by flatfender47 flatfender47 wrote:

Are the links/push rods at the wheel cylinders the correct length ?
How did you source those ?

The older set was probably O'Reily's and the new set Rockauto.  The appear to be identical.

Rob

'48 #170747
rmahan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2021 at 7:11pm
A shot of the backing plate after I tore it down to compare parts.  

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Robin
Rob

'48 #170747
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2021 at 7:49pm
Okay, looks like your adjuster has the same measurement as mine, so looks correct.

For an 11" brake the backing plate should be slightly over 12" lip to lip. I only mention that because I once struggled for days on phone calls trying to help someone who thought they had 11" brakes, but really had 10" brakes. They were measuring the backing plate instead of the inside of the drum.

What is the length of the cable? 

Pardon the poor quality of these pictures, it was the best I could do with my little flip phone.

Here is a measurement from the back of an 11" backing plate showing slightly over 12". Wish I had captured a wider picture.

Here is a picture showing measurement from the edge of the shoes being slightly less than 11". The adjuster is screwed in completely so brakes are not extended to full adjustment. It is cut off in the picture, but the lever is cocked close to the top of the adjuster wheel as in one of the pictures posted above. The cable is tight, and when I pluck it with my thumb it does engage and turn the adjuster wheel as it should.

rmahan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2021 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

What is the length of the cable? 

"Here is a measurement from the back of an 11" backing plate showing slightly over 12". Wish I had captured a wider picture.
"

My backing plate is a smidge over 12 " also.

The only thing haven't compared is the brake shoes.  Going to my local auto parts and compare them another pair.  If I cant resolve this, I will probably buy a setup from someone.

Thanks again for taking the time to check things out.

Robin
Rob

'48 #170747
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2021 at 8:33pm
When I bought my front brakes I got everything from the Hubs out. The guy was going to junk it cause no one wanted the whole thing. He had less then 2000 miles on the brakes. I bought all new everything but the Backing plates and the Drums and those little push rods (couldn't find them) I bagged up all the old internal parts to be used as emergency repair parts. I just went out and measured the Cable. Center of O ring to inside edge of the Hook is exactly the same as yours. 11"

If you have a problem its not the adjuster or the cable.

Brakes is one of the classes I took and passed with flying colors in my Auto Tech program in college. That was in 1980 and almost everything had at least one pair of drum brakes,

SO take this for what its worth. EVERYTHING about your assembly looks correct to me. If you can pull that cable back in the center say 1/2 to 3/4" and the adjuster lever engages and the star wheel turns. Then I think your good. If you look at the photos you show of the brakes you found on line you will notice the adjuster looks to be maybe 1/8th to 3/16" adjusted out. This might change your engagement. If your still not happy. you could give the adjustment lever a little bitty bend to bring it closer to the star wheel. But I don't see a problem otherwise.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2021 at 10:06pm
Bring your adjuster wheel out until the brake shoes are almost the same diameter of the drum and see where that puts you with the lever.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2021 at 10:13pm
Something being advertised as "NOS" doesn't necessarily mean it is OEM.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>