Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 volt conversion question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2017 at 9:56pm
I am running a 6volt starter, 12 volt coil and 12 volt battery. Original points.

Still need to install the alternator, but it seems to work fine so far in the short test drives I've taken.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2017 at 10:26pm
6 volt or 12 volt system, it won't matter on the points and condenser. NAPA Echlin part number CS725A. The condenser would be an Echlin AL869.

I ran a 6 volt starter on Ol' Red for years without a problem. It finally pooped out last month and now she has a new 12 volt starter. I do believe she starts a little easier now.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Bret View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2017 at 11:15pm
Mine had been converted to 12 volts when I bought it. Fortunately my engine has always started with very little cranking, but still had to replace the bendix a couple of times over 15 years. 12 volts really slams the 6 volt starter gear into the flywheel. So about a year ago I replaced the original starter with a 12 volt gear reduction starter available on eBay for about $185. Bolted right in, works great & I'm very happy with the change. Engages the flywheel smoothly, no more slamming the gear into the flywheel 
nmbailey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 12:14am
Originally posted by bigdaddy13 bigdaddy13 wrote:

I am running a 6volt starter, 12 volt coil and 12 volt battery. Original points.

Still need to install the alternator, but it seems to work fine so far in the short test drives I've taken.

How well does it recharge the battery? With a 6 volt generator, I wouldn't expect it to push enough voltage and current back into the battery to charge it. In 12 volt systems, the alternator pushes about 14 volts back into the battery to charge. I'd suspect you could have issues if you were running errands with multiple short drives.
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ
1988 Mazda B2200
1947 CJ2a s/n 123737 - Soon to be in progress... for the last 6 years...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12