Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 volt Generator and Starter Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 volt Generator and Starter Recommendations
    Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 8:19pm
So my GPA motor started life as a 12 volt system, while my CJ started life as a 6 volt system. Currently my rig is set up for 12 volt, with some weird aftermarket 12 volt alternator setup and a 6 volt starter. 

Looking to go all 12 volt. So when looking for generators and starters, is there a better brand or vendor I should be looking at?

Looking for recommendations if you have any. 

As always, I’m no expert in anything, so I yield to the vast knowledge on this forum. Thumbs Up

Edited by IRQVET - 17 Jan. 2023 at 8:26pm
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 9:00pm
Find a 12v generator off a gladiator truck or early wagoner, direct bolt on and most will think it’s factory

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 9:15pm
The stock 6 volt starter works fine in a 12 volt system, this has been done on a great many 12 Volt conversions, including my CJ2A. It actually does better with the added voltage. 

I don't know what you mean by weird alternator, but a standard Delco alternator will work fine. If you want a better than usual one check out the setup Dan Sharon sells at http://www.jeep1942.com

I like his bracket, and the alternator he sells will charge at lower RPMs and has the correct pulley on it.

Edited by Oldpappy - 17 Jan. 2023 at 9:17pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 9:15pm
My '64 Econoline van came equipped with a generator. Most Fords earlier than '65 had generators as standard equipment. I recently sold the 12V generator, but it closely resembled the Willys unit.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 10:04pm
I bought this starter & really like it ---

& it's hard to go wrong with the alternator kit that oldpappy listed
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2023 at 9:01pm
  That alternator kit looks great. Only thing, for me, is that when if/when my alt. lays an egg, I'd like to be able to source a replacement locally. This seems like a specially outfitted unit. Maybe another could be put in it's place until a new one would come from the supplier. I dunno.

I also like the almost original look of using a 12v generator if one is trying to keep things looking original.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2023 at 9:23pm
I had first bought the bracket from Dan and used a rebuilt Delco alternator I got from Rock Auto two years ago. The alternator fit just fine, and was charging at 14 volts until last Wednesday when I noticed I was only getting 12 volts or less on my voltage meter. So, now I am looking at buying one of his alternators. The rebuilt unit from Rockauto was cheap (about $35), so I am not overly surprised it didn't last a long time. 

I may have a 12 Volt Generator out in the shed, unless it got picked up for scrap when my scrapper buddy came by a week ago.
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 2:35am
Yep I have this one but a bit more updated around the terminals. WASP is the seller I think. Fab starter well out performing the repro’s out there, if you can find any! I like that you are not hitting all your amps through the foot starter switch as ignition works off a built in exciter. Anyone with standard repro foot staters in a 12volt conversion can tell you about that one !
There is a good you tube video and post around here about install, but I just wired starter straight to battery and ignition to foot starter switch to starter exciter. Works great.
If you don’t like the colour or worry about that original look, it’s smaller and you don’t really see it. Especially if you paint it black! Better cranking than my old original 12v as well.

Edited by JonJ - 19 Jan. 2023 at 2:41am
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 3:45am
JonJ, Please elaborate on the issue with 12 volt starters & the foot switch having issues. Do they fail in a fiery ball of smoke & flames?Smile Or some is it some other spectacular failure mode? Please let it be something big & messy!Big smile

A 12 volt starter will pull 1/2 the amps through the foot switch that a 6 volt starter will, so if there is an issue it is not something to do with the starter being 12 volts. If anything the 12 volt starter will be much easier on the foot switch than the 6 volt one will.

BTW, I did guess that you meant a foot starter, not the foot stater. Or is stater how the Brits spell starter? We are two countries separated by a common language as you know.Wink

JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 4:14am
Yes indeed ! More like fat fingers though!

I have managed to melt 3 foot staters in the past, usually they just smoke, before they burn out ! All were the ones with the rubber insulator between the connectors. Ended up buying a prestolite and that has fared a lot better. The starter motor was more spectacular, insides exploded! Engine plug above it was weeping so that water and electricity thing probably happened.

Things get expensive over here for Jeep Parts, especially the CJ2a bits so I now try to I get bits that are quality, but not necessarily 100% original. Saying that though, I do suck up the cost and get from Walcks if it’s something important and just live with the import duties. Expensive business this jeep thing!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 11:28am
I bought a complete drive train out of a restored 1950 pickup and it had that little starter on it. Haven't gotten it into a vehicle yet but I did use the starter to test fire the engine on a stand and it does seem to be powerful. I will use it in the Jeep this drive train is going into.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I bought a complete drive train out of a restored 1950 pickup and it had that little starter on it. Haven't gotten it into a vehicle yet but I did use the starter to test fire the engine on a stand and it does seem to be powerful. I will use it in the Jeep this drive train is going into.

You will like it!  Got a lot of grunt & not drawing all those amps thru the foot switch
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2023 at 12:18pm
I just used a 12 volt generator/regulator from a later CJ. Think it was a GEG something (trade number 9112). Looks stock
 Post Reply Post Reply