Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 volt wiper motors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 volt wiper motors
    Posted: 01 June 2019 at 3:46pm
having trouble with both my wiper motors. Thet are wired through a switch that breaks the ground side. They worked fine for over a year. Now they started to smoke. First only one. I took it out of circuit. Then the other started. Hooked both up after checking wires. Ran for 5 mins, smoked the entire time . Didnt blow fuse or get overly hot to the touch.Also they wont shut off. Had to pull fuse. All wires are good. Have ordered 2 new ones (with switces on back of each and will wire separately. But was wondering what would cause this problem. Would wiring them through switch breaking hot side make a difference? The instructions said to wire hot to wiper and break grou d with switch. 
Thanks in advance for any help given!
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 4:52pm
Shorting out internally would be my guess.  Most of these don't really have a good track record. Made in China?
Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 7:35pm
probably 
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 7:59pm
I'd be confused reading directions like that.  Unless the body of the wiper is completely insulated I don't really understand the switch on ground side as the entire body/frame/drivetrain is the ground.  To me switching on the hot side makes sense - once the power is added, the current is complete through mounting, like everything else.

Something is cooking to cause smoke.  Your loss of switching off is proof something in the circuitry got destroyed.  If you order from a reputable vendor there should be more confidence it would work or if it doesn't, you should be able to return them.  For me, I would expect the same results if I bought the same wiper motor to replace the damaged ones.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2019 at 6:38am
purchased different ones from another vender. These have on/off switch on the back of each. I also rewired the dash switch to positive side. They seem to be working ok. Time will tell. Thanks again for all the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply