Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Other Trailers Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12V or 6V bulb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12V or 6V bulb
    Posted: 15 July 2013 at 1:48pm
Just bought a M416 and I am wanting to change the bulbs from 24V to to 12V or 6V (I have a few other toys) The stop light bulb is a double filament with a single contact on the base which bulbs are interchangeable for that.I  I can correct the mounting pin issue if they are offset. 

Thanks
Do it now, think later!

1945 CJ2A

1947 CJ
1974 CJ5
1999 Commanche P/U
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 3:22am

A double filament should have two contacts on the bottom (one for each filament - since each is a separate circuit).  Another give away is that double filament bulbs have offset bayonets (lock tabs).  A single filament will have the bayonets even.  I believe those lights have multiple bulbs in them to cover all the functions.

If you can read a number on the casing (or sometimes on the glass) you can easily cross reference a bulb for different voltage. 

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Wavy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 6:36pm
This one has a double filament with a single contact on the back, Book calls for a 1683 24V. The pins are straight across form each other. I can remove the one pin on a regular bulb to make it work but the single contact in the socket will not work with a 2 contact bulb. This is the stop light so it needs to be brighter than the tailight .
Do it now, think later!

1945 CJ2A

1947 CJ
1974 CJ5
1999 Commanche P/U
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 9:43pm
Wavy,
Taking your provided number, I looked the bulb up.  I'll have to say I've never seen a bulb like this.  I don't know if the military wanted a brighter bulb or built in redundancy.  Have you powered the bulb outside the housing to see if both filaments light together?

The base of your bulb is the same as the base of a #1156.  That single contact base is called a BA15s.  I cross referenced several sights and all showed the 1156 as a 12V version of the 1683.  One sight that listed both bulbs, imperialsupplies.com, showed both to have 32 candlepower.  Since those #1156 bulbs are readily available, I suggest trying one out to see if it's bright enough to use.

A side by side bench test would be fun if you had access to a 24V power source.

Edited by Rus Curtis - 16 July 2013 at 9:49pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Wavy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 11:06pm
Both filaments burned but being 24v it will not burn bright on 12v  and worse on 6v, I guess I will try a 1156, the tail light is a separate bulb (about eqivilant to a 93 12v.) Just want a brighter bulb for the Stop light. 
Do it now, think later!

1945 CJ2A

1947 CJ
1974 CJ5
1999 Commanche P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply