Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12V wiring diagram

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote generaldisarray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 10:04pm
"Field 1" port needs +12v from the battery. Current limited by either a resistor or incandescent light bulb. In-line.  This provides excitation to the alternator. Without it there is no magnetic "field". Just spinning metal. This does not apply if you have a one wire alternator. They are self exciting. 
generaldisarray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote generaldisarray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 6:04pm
Long term. 
The light bulb +12v should be switched by the key-switch. So the bulb is not on w/o the engine running.  

Short term 
you could use a test light to put +12 v to the field terminal. Monitor your battery voltage with your meter. When you start your engine, the voltage will go from 12.4-12.6 to around 14.0. this is the sign that an alternator is working. your test light will also go out as it loses potential. If these things dont happen. Blip the throttle or rev the engine to see if it will start charging.

Edited by generaldisarray - 21 May 2014 at 6:12pm
CJTWOA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJTWOA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2016 at 1:10am
What is "VR"?
As always: thank you.
CJTWOA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJTWOA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2016 at 1:14am
What is "terminal block" in your diagram?
captianpattson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2016 at 6:23am
VR= voltage regulator
'49 CJ2A in fewer pieces than before
My Build Thread
CJTWOA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJTWOA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2016 at 1:00pm
II notice lots of people are talking about buying a wiring harness.

I'm working on a tight budget and I was thinking about finding some good diagrams/info and using 16 and 12 gauge wire.

Is that a bad idea?
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2016 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by CJTWOA CJTWOA wrote:

II notice lots of people are talking about buying a wiring harness.

I'm working on a tight budget and I was thinking about finding some good diagrams/info and using 16 and 12 gauge wire.

Is that a bad idea?

Its not a bad idea if done right, lots of members here have built their own harness.
It really comes down to what you want in the end, if you are going 12v and want a fuse box (a good idea)and add accessories, a custom harness is the way to go. For me it made sense to just buy one, the cost of supplies was going to be half of a made harness, but I wanted to stay original and with the cloth.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
CJTWOA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJTWOA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2016 at 2:22am
I'm trying to go step by step and first priority has been finding out if the engine is going to fire...

Long story short - I cant trust any current set up - including the electrical. 

Leaving out the Alt - how does this look?

I've set it up and it kicks the starter - but I'm not getting anything from the coil. 

(May be a bad coil) I tested and I get 12v on the coil so therefore the coil is getting power. 

I am confused because the set up has a ballast resistor - any thoughts?

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2016 at 5:13am
Like this:

Everything except the starting circuit has been omitted due to extreme laziness

I don't remember which terminal it is on a 4 post solenoid, or you could use a three poster.

Edited by LesBerg - 22 June 2016 at 5:19am
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2016 at 8:09pm
Are the points opening? Is there a short in the distributor that grounds the points out all the time? If the points are working correctly, & there is no short in the distributor, then the coil is most likely bad.
CJTWOA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJTWOA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2016 at 4:26am
Thank you guys - I'm still working at this - all this and I'm pretty sure my coil is bad - most likely going to get one with an internal ballast resistor instead.
CJTWOA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJTWOA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2016 at 4:23am
cpt logger/les/forum,

I replaced the coil.

I noticed my Ohms on the existing ballast resistor to be at 1.7

I know this is a common ballast resistance but can't find anywhere if that is a good ballast resistance for the Cj2a

Also even with a new coil - when I run my spark plug tester it lights up very very dim (tester between coil and distributor).

The new coil says "use external resistor or resisted wire" - so I'm pretty sure I should be OK using the ballast resistor.

I'm trying to nail it down but having real trouble.

Also need to check and make sure this distributor is any good.

It's probably time I move my conversation to a different thread as I
Getting off topic here.

Edited by CJTWOA - 24 June 2016 at 4:25am
PapaC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PapaC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2016 at 11:26am
I don't know if this will help you or not but here's a wiring diagram I drew up for a DJ3A. At least some of the circuits should be similar.

IF I understand correctly with a internally resisted coil you shouldn't need a ballast resistor.

My motor was originally piece together wired for 12v, now converted back to 6. Originally had a 6v coil W/ ballast resistor on the firewall to work for 12V. Originally had a 4 post (wrong) solenoid. On the two smaller posts at the top of the solenoid only the small post nearest the passenger side fender was used. The other post had no wire hooked to it at all and it would crank and run.

Charles
CJTWOA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJTWOA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2016 at 2:14pm
Thank you Charles!

So a 4-post solenoid is the wrong solenoid?

I was under the impression that with a 4 post solenoid you can send that 4th post - (the I post) - can be sent directly to the (-) on the coil to send full power to the coil during initial start at key turn (bypassing the ballast resistor momentarily).

After that once the key springs back to run position the "I" post looses power (along with the starter pole) and then the power from the Run position on the key takes over and runs through the ballast resistor at a reduced voltage.

Maybe this thinking is why I'm having issues.
PapaC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PapaC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2016 at 5:53pm
It would take a better wiring expert than me to completely answer your question.   I only know how my DJ was wired to run on 12v and it worked fine that way. Both cranking and charging.

I'm definitely not sure of the particulars of the entire function of a four post solenoid or how the bypassing (which I have heard ) of actually works and I don't dare want to mislead you there.

The last thing I think I KNOW is when I wired mine back up for 6 volt I changed back to a 3 post 6v solenoid and did away with the resistor which I discovered was required for only for a 6v coil when converted to 12 volt.    I 'think' a 6v coil actually puts out about 9 volts but don't hold me to that either. I'm far from a wiring expert. That's why I spent so much time making that drawing. My eyes aren't that great and I made my own wiring harness.

But I am pretty sure during my research that a internally resisted 12v coil doesn't require a external ballast resistor at all ....just don't leave the key on when the jeep is not running. This would hold true for either 6 or 12v because then you're in danger of burning up the points.

Later when I get home I'll look up a actual 12v wiring diagram for a DJ3A and we'll see what' kind of solenoid it requires. 3 post or four post.

Charles

Edited by PapaC - 24 June 2016 at 6:47pm
PapaC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PapaC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2016 at 7:11pm
Various wiring diagrams here.

http://www.jeepsurreygala.com/?page_id=1377

I note that even even 12v DJ3A's use a 12v 3 post solenoid. As I mentioned in my first post on this thread though a 12v four post solenoid WILL work if only the small terminal nearest to the passenger side fender is used.

I sadly also want to say that that entire site which I linked to and have used so many times during my restoration and even today answering questions asked was put together and maintained by our very good friend the late Bruce Agan whom I know in my heart is resting in peace.

Thinking about him makes me sad so I'll try to say and end this post with something positive.

Off topic but I dare to say it here anyway. Or maybe better show this, even at risk of getting in trouble with the moderators.

Here is the future owner of my very dedicated underway 1956 DJ3A restoration.

And here is me and the future owner of hopefully a real CJ2A that I hope to buy and restore someday.

That's only a part of the reason that I'm trying to learn everything I can about them NOW.

Charles Tate

Moderators, please feel free to edit that out of this post.   It's off topic and won't hurt my feelings at all and I will try to be more careful in the future.

Edited by PapaC - 24 June 2016 at 7:24pm
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2016 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by CJTWOA CJTWOA wrote:

Thank you Charles!

So a 4-post solenoid is the wrong solenoid?

I was under the impression that with a 4 post solenoid you can send that 4th post - (the I post) - can be sent directly to the (-) on the coil to send full power to the coil during initial start at key turn (bypassing the ballast resistor momentarily).

After that once the key springs back to run position the "I" post looses power (along with the starter pole) and then the power from the Run position on the key takes over and runs through the ballast resistor at a reduced voltage.

Maybe this thinking is why I'm having issues.

I believe you're correct on how the four-post solenoid works, but I'm not positive. Whether or not it's the 'correct' one is based on how you wire up the system.

If you want the four-post and intend to wire it in the described fashion, then it's the correct part.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
blademaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2016 at 7:39pm
All the sudden a blast from the past, just what I was pondering... A simple, get the thing started, clean up your dash...saved me a how to post. An ampmeter is just a terminal block with a needle jumping around. Throw in a one wire alternator and simple.
   Thanks Les!
Charles, I stayed up a few late nights reading your posts over at 3A, hope you,re getting close.

craig
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>