Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

134 L generator engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 134 L generator engine
    Posted: 21 Apr. 2019 at 5:48pm
Dug out a 134 L generator engine a friend had rebuilt before loosing interest in his jeep project. Only now noticed strange flanges on the rear of the block. The flywheel fits fine and the only issue with the flex plate is the small timing door will have to be trimmed. The flex plate that was on it was a real oddball. Everything else including the the plate for the motor mounts seems like it will work. Am I missing anything?
Lady Astor to Winston Churchill, If I was married to you I would poison your coffee. Churchill's reply, if I was married to you I would drink it!
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2019 at 7:40pm
Pretty sure your intake and exhaust manifold need to be replaced with a CJ one and you’ll also need a W.O. CJ carb.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
BobMc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2019 at 7:57pm
Mostly a long block. No manifold, oil pump, distributor. Head is marked Willys and has the bypass. 
Lady Astor to Winston Churchill, If I was married to you I would poison your coffee. Churchill's reply, if I was married to you I would drink it!
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2019 at 8:29pm
Good to go.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 3:50am
  Flex plate? In normal automotive jargon, a flex plate is what bolts to the crankshaft and to the torque converter to drive an automatic transmission. I'm sure you're speaking of the plate between the engine block and the bell housing. That plate has no reason to flex and had better not. 
  It sounds like you have a later-model block, probably with a casting number of 804380. Those engines had their timing marks on the front of the engine. The block can be ground to relieve the area around the timing mark access hole in the CJ2-A plate, or the timing marks can be added to the front pulley and cover. They may be there already. As you've noticed, the hole cover plate won't fit. If you're not going to use it, it can be installed on the inside of the plate to close the hole.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2019 at 5:05pm
You can still find NOS timing pointers for M38, M38 A1, and probably for CJ3 series Jeeps which have the pointer up front. If your pulley doen't have the mark you can make your own with a few strokes of a triangular file and some white or yellow paint.

The pointer mounts to timing cover bolts.
 Post Reply Post Reply