Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15" 6 & 7" wheel?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lehinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15" 6 & 7" wheel?
    Posted: 23 Nov. 2021 at 8:43am

Pulled the tires off of my 5 wheels for the 47 cj2a to blast / powder coat.  4 wheels are 6" wide edge to edge.  1 wheel is 1" wider.  It was originally on the jeep when I got it..... Any issue with using it for the spare or should I nose around for aa 5th wheel?  

Thoughts?  

THX!
Lee
Ft Wayne, IN
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2021 at 12:10pm
What you're describing is a width difference.  

I can't imagine an issue with using it as a spare (assuming you have the clearance to bolt it to the stock spare carrier).  Most issues come into play with a difference in diameter - and that should only be when in 4WD.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2021 at 8:28pm
As I am sure you are aware, the 47 CJ-2a came with 4" wide wheels. However, the 6" wide wheels work well & all the tire shops will mount tires on them for you. Some tire shops will not mount 7.00 X 16" tires on 4" wheels.

I am with Rus on using all of your rims as long as the wider one will mount on the spare tire carrier. If it will not, you could use a spacer to get the needed clearance. I would see if some one wants to trade the 7" wide wheel for a 6" wide wheel. However, if time is an issue I would use them all.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
lehinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lehinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2021 at 1:58pm
Thanks for all the replies!  Since the wider wheel was operational on the cj2a when I got it - it willbecome the spare.  All are in getting blasted and powdercoated. 

Happy Thanksgiving!
Lee
 Post Reply Post Reply