Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15" Wheels Vs 11" drum brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15" Wheels Vs 11" drum brakes
    Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 8:01pm
I bought a very nice set of 15" KH wheels with nearly new 15 X .700 tires at the Willys Reunion in Fulton.

I didn't do my research well enough and when I attempted to mount the wheels today I found they will not clear the 11" brake drums.

I know I could use spacers, but would rather find a set of wheels that would work for this without them.

The clearance issue is where the center is riveted to the rims. 

Any ideas??
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 8:27pm
Depends somewhat on the specific KH wheel.
What is the rim width and what is the inset from true centerline ?
On some 15” KH wheels it is possible to take a small disk grinder with cut-off wheel and remove a portion of the rivot flange portion from the center disk.
Take and lay a straight edge across the inside of the wheel rim lip.
Measure down to the rivot flange portion of the center disk.
On some wheels a small part of that rivot flange can be cut off.
You need to clear approximately 2-3/4”(depending on specific wheel) as measured from the inside of rim lip.
Will try to attach a pic shortly……

Edited by oldtime - 24 Sep. 2021 at 8:52pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 8:31pm
In regard to the fitment issue, those wheels were mounted on my Willys with 11 in brakes and there were no issues. Don't understand whats going on

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 8:45pm
Not all 11” drums are the same. That very well may be the issue.
Certain Bendix drums were original but many now are aftermarket drums and even Bendix was later suppling 11” drums from Canada.
It is certain that the later 11” finned drums cannot be used on 15” KH wheels.

Here I show where a small portion of the disk can sometimes be cut off by very skilled use of a cut-off wheel.
This renegade I wheel measures 2-5/8” from the outermost lip and needs a good 1/8” more removed in order to fit 11” drums properly.

Edited by oldtime - 24 Sep. 2021 at 8:48pm
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 9:11pm
My 11 inch drums were from  a kit purchased in the 70's, believed to be Ford drums with no fins.

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2021 at 11:45pm
John, 

Good to know there are 11" drums that will fit with these wheels. The drums I have are not finned, but no telling where they were made. May be thicker than others?

I think tomorrow I will try one of these wheels on my CJ2A which also has 11" drum brakes, but they are older, maybe a different brand.

The 2A has 16" wheels. If the drums on the 2A will fit, I can swap drums between the two Jeeps and the 16" wheels on the 2a will clear these.

I probably have some Ford drums laying around, so can try them too if the above doesn't do it.

Oldtime,

I have a lot of experience with a die grinder, and see what you are suggesting as a possibility if I can't find drums that will clear, but I hate to cut on these nice wheels if I don't have to.

Edited by Oldpappy - 24 Sep. 2021 at 11:50pm
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2021 at 8:31am
Old pappy, quote is the numbers seen on your drums and perhaps I can identify them.
Zero aftermarket parts

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2021 at 9:54am
I will pull a wheel and see what numbers I can find. Buying different drums would be preferable to using spacers or buying different wheels, I like these wheels. When I bought these drums I probably went for cheapest price thinking they were all the same.

I am also wondering if a brake shop could turn them on a lathe to remove some outside material. 

Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2021 at 10:53am
Good Luck, let me know how this turns out

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2021 at 11:14am
Thanks John,

We both thought they would fit, so hope you don't feel bad about it. I am happy with the deal, and will come up with a way to make them work. 

My plan is to first see if I can find drums that will fit those wheels. 

Since yours fit, and you think they were Ford, I will look at those first.  This would be the best solution. 

Failing that I will see if a brake shop can turn the outside of the drums down a bit.

I think it is probably the drums I have which were the cheapest I could find and probably not US made. They may be a thicker casting than others.

Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2021 at 11:45am
I just happened to think, the drums and wheels turn together, so your problem is the wheel will not fit over the drum. If you have a handle on how much interference you have, I think the easiest and cheapest solution is to take a die grinder to the rivets. After all you do have a can of touch up paint  Ha!
Fltfndr
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2021 at 11:50am
Just doing some internet searching I find some wide variation in outside diameters for 11" drums.

Jeff's Bronco Graveyard lists drums for 71 Bronco - 12.52 outside diameter

Rockauto lists these 71 CJ5 ;

Raybestos 270r - 12.375 outside diameter

For a Wagoneer: 

Bendix PDR 0088 - 11.969 outside diameter

So, looks like more than 1/2" variance which is probably plenty.

I am going to measure, and try to identify the drums on the Jeep. If they are around 12.52 like those listed for a Bronco, the Bendix drums for a Wagoneer should work, provided the measurements listed are accurate.

I may just order one to start with. If it works I can order the rest, and put the nearly new drums on the Jeep now on the shelf as spares for the CJ2A with 16" wheels.

Edited by Oldpappy - 25 Sep. 2021 at 11:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply