Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Auction Listings / Classified Ads/ Jeeps for Sale Sightings!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1945 CJ2A #1,117 on eBay.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1945 CJ2A #1,117 on eBay.
    Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 2:09pm
This jeep looks like a great start. I see what may be some body filler on the tailgate but it’s very hard to tell from photos. From what the auctions photos show it’s solid and complete. The jeep is in Florida so who knows. The only problem I see is the price tag of 14k.  Correct me if I’m wrong but when I was watching the pricing of these 14k was high no matter what year. It’s definitely high for something that’s not fully restored. You’ll notice one photo in the auction states some false history about there jeep and it’s orig paint color in the tool box. I see pasture green. 

1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 5:57pm
Confused Interesting bit of history. LOL Ya learn something new every day.
  They painted right over the "4-Wheel Drive" decal on the tailgate and missed the front of the cowl and underside of the hood. I wonder what else is under that paint job. Looks like an old Maeco job.
  Looks like maybe rust, or a gob of silicone behind the oil fill pipe? Not the normal location for a water-jacket crack, but I'm suspicious.  Ouch
  I think, remove a zero from the price, and it might be worth considering.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 6:18pm
I was most impressed by the *RARE* Harvest Tan horn button
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 6:38pm

A whopping $14,500 (!) gets you an Earl Schibe paint job, which indicates what may lurk within the jeep's mechanicals.

No, wait--Earl Schibe paint jobs were BETTER than this...

CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 6:56pm
Sorry, that ISN'T the original "Army Green" paint in the toolbox lid.

Also, typical rust on the tailgate hinge covered over by paint.

I did notice it had 1964 Wichita County, Kansas old tags on it for whatever reason. Wichita County is out in Western Kansas where the population is really scarce. Leoti, the county seat only has 1500 people...Not to be confused with Wichita, Kansas the largest city in the state.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 9:09pm
$14K also includes that trailer.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 9:44pm
I'm actually a little more impressed with this than others seem to be...notwithstanding the marginal tan paint job.  It has some pretty decent details that are often missing on a '45 CJ2A.  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 1:37am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

I'm actually a little more impressed with this than others seem to be...

I would hazard a guess that it's not so much the vehicle itself people are concerned about as the price of said vehicle.

If it was presented in its stock '45 look instead of 'playing army' combined with a lower price I think it would have been excepted alot better and seen in a different light.

At that point I think the discussion would be different.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 3:12am
45's are rare, but this one, if solid, might not be too bad. Price is a bit steep for something that is not in it's original, unrestored condition. Some parts missing. Taillight isn't correct, no in dash coil, has a generator (12V perhaps?) Wrong horn, top is incorrect, drivers side wiper missing, front lock outs incorrect, looks like only the rear wheels are solid rim wheels.
I'd like to see the floor from underneath and the inside tool box floor.
Paint can be fixed, but I'm wondering what might be under it.
Take 1K off for the trailer and it might be a fun vehicle that could be brought back to it's original state, but I'd really like to see it in person.
Good luck to whoever bids.
Jerry

1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 3:43am
"Original army green paint on underside of door to storage"?  Um, no.  Who's this guy trying to fool?  Non-original hole in the floor of the toolbox, too.  The "4 Wheel Drive" decal wouldn't have been there anyway, so the tailgate is not original.  Take $10K off and maybe....

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 13 Feb. 2018 at 3:45am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 8:40pm
Calling Pasture Green "army green" suggests the seller is not a Willys guy.  This might be why he set the price this high.  He just doesn't know what the market looks like.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 8:48pm
And that's why it didn't sell... with zero bids.
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 8:59pm
Guys
Obviously the seller is only fishing for an essentric <spelling>collector with more $$ than sense that will pay somebody to restore it for him, not a veteran of the infamous CJ2A page forum. I am typing this trying to keep an open mind before I click the link. "Release the hounds"....

Kansas plates in FL?  Sears trailer? Could be a prize time will tell

Edited by jeeper50 - 13 Feb. 2018 at 9:12pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2018 at 3:45am
Well, I'd hate to see someone with too many dollars and not enough sense buy this and think he's getting something great.  The photo note mentioning the "army green" paint on the bottom of the toolbox lid would be seriously misleading to someone who didn't/doesn't know the underseat toolbox is  a post-WWII development.  Maybe it's possible the seller doesn't know that either...  If he doesn't know that, he's setting himself up for a rude awakening.  If he does know that, he's trying to rip someone off.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply