Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1946 Bantam Serial Number 5402 Surfaces

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2011 at 4:29am
Post some pictures when you can! I'd love to see it. I purchased my tires from Coker and they were $152 each. The military tires were much cheaper ($92) but I think they look funny on a civilian trailer. If you want the specifics on the tires, let me know and I'll post all the details. I can tell you, the tires I purchased were the closest I could find to the tires I took off the trailer.

Originally posted by Brezzypines Brezzypines wrote:

Joe very nice fine there. I just received my grandfathers 47 that he bought new. The last 40 plus years it has been in the garage of our cabin in Prescott. If you don't mind how much were the tires since I need to replace all of them.
Joe's Bantam:
http://www.joewest.org/Trailer
Brezzypines View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brezzypines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2011 at 7:45am
Arizonajeep was that price with the tubes? I have a good friend at Discount tire that said he can get me the tires from Coker so I will get a hold of him and see what his price is. I will get some pictures up tomorrow the 3rd they will be under a new post so you will be able to look at them.
arizonajeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2011 at 4:43pm
That was the price without the tubes.  I had new tubes installed to get the trailer from New Mexico to Arizona.

Like you, I tried to get Discount tire to order from Coker.  Twice, a Discount Tire sales rep took my information and said they would call me back.  They never did.  Because of this, I ordered my tires directly from Coker and then I went to Discount Tire to have them mounted.  While I was there, I asked to speak to the manager and I told him what happened.  He said that they don't get much of a discount on tires from Coker, but that shipping is significantly less than what you and I would pay from Coker.  So... the question is, does the decreased shipping cost offset the sales tax.  You'd have to do the calculation but it would be easier.  Also, I think that if you order the tires through Discount Tire, they will mount and balance them for free... an additional savings of $10 per tire.

Oh... one final thing.  After I spoke to the manager, he offered to give me mounting and balancing for free.  I told him that wasn't necessary but he insisted.  I love it when a manager owns up to a problem and offers to try and make it right.

My gut tells me that Discount Tire would be less expensive overall, but it depends on your sales tax rate.

Joe

Originally posted by Brezzypines Brezzypines wrote:

Arizonajeep was that price with the tubes? I have a good friend at Discount tire that said he can get me the tires from Coker so I will get a hold of him and see what his price is. I will get some pictures up tomorrow the 3rd they will be under a new post so you will be able to look at them.
Joe's Bantam:
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2011 at 4:56pm
I got the tires for my Bantam and Jeep from Discount, it came out cheaper than Coker (not by much, but a little) and was easier. The local Discount is within a block of Costco so it seems like they're in some kind of a price war because off and on there's a big sign on the Discount store that says they'll beat Costco's price. (kinda reminds me of gas wars when I was in high school, that's something we'll never see againLOL unless it's a war about getting gas)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2011 at 9:37pm
I ended up purchasing uglyjeep's fulton coupler and boy am I glad that I did.  Even thought the coupler on my trailer "looked" nice, when I started taking this apart, this is what I found:

Not only was the end that was going to the large bolt notched instead of having a hole, but the bolt was finger loose (it had a cotter pin in it so it wasn't going anywhere).  The ONLY thing holding the coupler on was a single 3/8 bolt.  Yikes!

Anyway... the coupler is now replaced with the one from uglyjeep, and it fit like a glove.  The only modification I needed to make was to drill the rear holes on the coupler larger to fit the large rear bolt.  Once I started cinching things down, the ends flared and flattened naturally.  I left the front part of the coupler rounded because I actually like the way it looks (check out the shot from straight above the coupler and you'll see what I mean.  Well... here's the pictures of the new coupler.  A big thanks to Daniel (uglyjeep) for providing me a great coupler at a reasonable cost.

Joe's Bantam:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2011 at 9:39pm
Now the next thing I need to do is find an original tightening screw for the coupler... the one that is on it looks HUGE :)  Hopefully one will crop up someday.
Joe's Bantam:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brezzypines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2011 at 1:24am
Joe after seeing the old one once you took it off is scary. Good to see you got the new one on with no problem. Are you going to re-paint the trailer or just leave it as is?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2011 at 4:32am
After I get the trailer mechanically refurbished, I'm going to do the body work can then paint it back to the original red. Joe
Joe's Bantam:
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2011 at 4:40am
Originally posted by arizonajeep arizonajeep wrote:

Now the next thing I need to do is find an original tightening screw for the coupler... the one that is on it looks HUGE :)  Hopefully one will crop up someday.

One difference between an original Fulton and the one you just installed is that the original knob has a bolt that screws into the lock where the new one is a captured nut. I'm sure you can make the needed mods once you find a knob, just thought I'd pass this along so you can think about it (and make plansLOL)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2011 at 8:33pm
I didn't know what the differences were... thank you.  Assuming I find one, I'll try to make it work.  I'm hoping it will be as simple as welding a net on to the ball capture piece and then screwing the original knob into that.  It sounds like a fun little project :)

Originally posted by bkreutz bkreutz wrote:

One difference between an original Fulton and the one you just installed is that the original knob has a bolt that screws into the lock where the new one is a captured nut. I'm sure you can make the needed mods once you find a knob, just thought I'd pass this along so you can think about it (and make plansLOL)
Joe's Bantam:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2011 at 8:40pm
I installed a tail light and the wiring harness today.  Tomorrow it goes down for inspection at the DMV.  I noticed a couple of things while I was under the trailer wiring it:

1.  My left wheel bearing seal leaks.  Clearly I need to find and install replacement seals.

2.  There was a fragment of the original cloth wiring harness cover inside one of the clamps.  You'll see a picture of it.  It's too bad it was so dirty, it would be nice to see the design on it.  I may try to clean it up  to see if a pattern emerges.

All in all, the wiring was a pretty easy job.  The only issue I ran into was the fact that the NOS tail light I purchased had a 6 volt bulb in it.  It popped when I tested the wiring :)  I had to run off to checker auto to purchase a new bulb.

Here are the pictures:

Joe's Bantam:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brezzypines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2011 at 9:04pm
Joe that looks great. I can not wait to get mine down here in a couple weeks so I can start on it. Next weekend I will be bringing the wheels down and getting the tires put on so the next weekend I can bring it down. Good job again and I will post more on mine when I get it home.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2011 at 1:20am
Maybe we can get together. I'll pm you my cell number. Whatever you do don't start taking things apart before you take tons of pictures. Not many single family trailers around these days.
Joe's Bantam:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2011 at 2:15am
I spent a little more time with the welder on the trailer.  I filled one hole in the side of the bed and two holes at the front part of the frame.  I also primered the bare metal from the previous few days puttering.

Here are some pictures:

Joe's Bantam:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2011 at 2:17am
Oh... I almost forgot, I also registered it today.  It was a little over 100 for a permanent registration tag (which was a little more expensive than I was expecting) but it's nice to have it ready to begin doing some work.
Joe's Bantam:
Joe Frazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Frazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2011 at 11:23am
Yes, the tires look great! Coker is a good source, although they don't discount much and
haven't gotten any cheaper in the past few years! lol
Collecting any/all Kaiser/Frazer/JEEP literature/handouts/toys etc.
46 CJ2A
50 Jeepster
51 Pick-up
54 Willys Aero Hardtop
54 Kaiser Willys Darrin
56 Wagon
56 Factory Proto-type FC 170 Truck
chasm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2011 at 4:29pm

Oh... I almost forgot, I also registered it today.  It was a little over 100 for a permanent registration tag (which was a little more expensive than I was expecting) but it's nice to have it ready to begin doing some work.

The trailer is looking great!

Did you get antique tags or are the tags "permanent" regular tags? 100 bucks seems pretty salty, but then again, we all know that "taxes" are not being increased... just fees on everything!
'51 CJ3A, '47 Bantam Trailer, '83 CJ8 Scrambler, '93 YJ Wrangler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arizonajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2011 at 4:50pm
I purchased permanent regular tags. I didn't realize you could get a historic plate although I wouldn't want to pay $25 per year for it like historic plates for a car.
Joe's Bantam:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12