Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1946 CJ2A #13822

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maahlers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1946 CJ2A #13822
    Posted: 22 Mar. 2019 at 2:20am

Hello all,

Below is my new to me 1946 CJ2A that picked up about a month ago.  After a new carb, starter, and some brake work I have her going down the road. 

I’ve had some issues with the three speed column shifter. A weak spot weld gave way at the point where the shifter meets the rod. Have it welded back but still have issues shifting from first to second. Sometimes when shifting from first to second it seems like it doesn’t want to drop 1st and refuses to go into second. Not sure if this is a linkage deal or what. 

Previous owners have rebuilt the engine and brakes. Put a new tub on and did a 12 volt conversion at one time. 

Near term projects: 

Need to rebuild or replace brake master cylinder since it leaks like crazy.
New ignition switch, gas gauge, amp gauge, and temp gauge. 

Get parking brake functional. 

Scrape and power wash over 70 years of grease and dirt buildup on the undercarriage. 

Long term:

Get rusted windshield and tailgate repaired if possible. 

I would like to get her back to her original colors of Harvest Tan and orange red wheels.

I want to give a shout out of thanks to everyone who has made a contribution to this forum. It has helped me a lot already. 

Edited by Maahlers - 09 Apr. 2019 at 5:12pm
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2019 at 4:17am
Looks pretty good from here.  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2019 at 4:56am
great find and you are already driving
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2019 at 12:22pm
What a great looking 46. Wish mine had been in that condition when we got it.
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2019 at 1:05pm
Welcome Smile

Looks like a great starting place Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2019 at 1:09pm
Looks great!! It appears to have the correct early windshield with square washers.. I believe early windshields also have a pull/push handle as opposed to a latch? Very cool Thumbs Up
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Billy46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2019 at 11:40am
Very cool.  Let me know how you made out the finding the Harvest Tan paint color.  I have a 46 CJ2A 18657 and planning to repaint this winter.  Thanks
Bill
 Post Reply Post Reply