Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1946 CJ2a #45682

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44bz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1946 CJ2a #45682
    Posted: 05 Mar. 2018 at 2:30am
Hi all.  This is my first post about my first flattie.  I'm two weeks on this project and believe me, it's a project.  I knew what I was getting into and I'm excited to have I, but this is going to be a looooong restoration. 

I bought the Jeep for $500 with a title from a guy who purchased it simply to take family photos in front of.  He had it for 6 months and knew very little history on it.  He said the previous owner used it as a hunting rig.  It hasn't been registered since 1976 so it's likely been sitting for quite a while. 

Someone swapped in a Buick 225, bolted to the original trans and t-case (I believe). The motor mounts are homemade and likely need to be replaced.  I'm not sure the motor is worth putting any money into.  It looks pretty clean on the inside and it's got oil in it.  I don't think any water has gotten inside so it may run with some work, but it's pretty rusty on the outside. 

The body is fairly hammered.  The front floors at completely rusted out and bed area is mostly solid, but looks like somebody dropped boulders in it (lots of dents).  The tailgate is pretty straight.  The fenders are mostly solid, but also need some work.

There's no brake system, no steering, and no fuel system.  I do have the original steering gear and shaft though.  The front frame on both sides has been welded on extensively.  I think the original tube cross member was cut off and a new one put in about 4 inches forward, but its only attached with some booger welds on one side.

So far I've ordered new front floor pans and the floor supports.  I have a new gas tank and sender on the way.  My plan is to upgrade the steering and brake system with more modern parts.  I need to install a new wiring harness.  It basically needs everything, but I'm looking forward to working on it.  I'll try to get some photos uploaded and I'm going to have lots of questions along the way.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2018 at 2:48am
Welcome!, looking forward to some pics.  Sounds like you did alright at that price point.  Id rather have a clean title and some work ahead than the other way round Wink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
44bz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44bz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2018 at 3:04am
Here it is when I picked it up.

And in the driveway next to my 68 J2000.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2018 at 3:11am
Welcome aboard,have fun building your jeep .Nice looking jeeps.

Gil

Edited by Gil - 05 Mar. 2018 at 3:14am
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2018 at 3:34am
Welcome, looks like a great place to start
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2018 at 5:49pm
Welcome, solid looking project.   lots of great folks here on the site and plenty of help when needed.  Just keep the pics coming as we live vicariously thru everyone's project's Thumbs Up
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2018 at 8:54pm
Welcome to the cj2apage Zack. Glad you joined here. I'm a member of FSJNetwork as well. There seems top be a trend with people in Oregon having a FSJ and a flat fender.

--> http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2018 at 9:51pm
44BZ,

Welcome!  Looks like a good project.

Stev  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 12:42am
44bz, 
Let's see some more pictures of the 68 J2000.  How about some information on it too. That thing looks awesome. 
Mark
1946 CJ2A
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 3:08am
Awesome jeeps!

Yes we definitely need more pics of both ClapClap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 4:06am
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

Awesome jeeps!

Yes we definitely need more pics of both ClapClap

Couldn't agree more!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
44bz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44bz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 5:08am
Thanks for the warm welcome!  I've had the Jtruck since 2009 I think - hard to believe it's been that long.  It has the AMC 327/T18/D20 combo and original Dana 44 axles.  Had to tow it home also.  I spent several years and lots of money bringing it back, but did all the work myself.  I love it.  I added power breaks, upgraded the front axle to discs, added power steering.  It has a Flaming River column and Borgeson steering shaft.  35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs.  The motor has a 4bbl intake, Holley 600cfm, dual exhaust, and a Pertronix kit.  The Warn bumper came off a Blazer and I built mounts for it.  It's been a fun project.  Part of the motivation to buy the CJ was so that I'd quit tinkering with the J and just enjoy itWink

44bz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44bz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2018 at 5:19am
So far I've removed the fenders, hood, and grill from the CJ to clean up some rust scale and I wanted to get a better look at the motor and the mounts. 
The headers look homemade and were poorly constructed.  The driver side comes out far enough the fender couldn't even bolt to the body.  I think the radiator is original and appears to be in good shape, but I'll probably replace it with an aluminum unit.  The crossmember just in front of the radiator was added at some point and isn't welded in completely. 

Here's the driver side and the passenger side is just as bad.

Most of the screws and bolts are so rusted they either break or have to be drilled out.

I've been stripping rust scale and peeling paint, then everything gets a coat of primer.  My goal is to clean it up, fix the rust, make some drivability improvements, and get it on the road.  No show winner here, but I think it'll be a fun little Jeep someday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2018 at 1:18am
You don't need to remove the front crossmember to fit in a Buick V-6.  Gotta wonder why Bubba did it.  If you're gonna re-power a 2A, you can't go wrong with a Buick V-6. 

The J-truck looks really nice, too.  Great work!
44bz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44bz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2018 at 3:06am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

You don't need to remove the front crossmember to fit in a Buick V-6.  Gotta wonder why Bubba did it.  If you're gonna re-power a 2A, you can't go wrong with a Buick V-6. 

The J-truck looks really nice, too.  Great work!

Interesting for sure.  They welded big tabs onto the "new" cross member for the radiator to mount to.  The fan has a 3-4" spacer behind it to push it closer to the radiator.  The front frame horns look pretty ugly to me.  They're solid, but there's a bunch booger weld all over it and the original cross member was cut off at the frame edge so the rest is still inside the frame.  I'm kinda thinking it might be better to just cut off the frame ends and replace it all with new.

Thanks for the compliments on the Jtruck!
44bz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44bz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2018 at 3:03am
i ordered a new fuel tank and sending unit but neither came with hardware. Can anyone tell me what screws I need for the sending unit?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2018 at 4:18am
The sending unit should take #8-32 screws, maybe 1/2" long.  New repro tank?  No telling what it takes...

Do you suppose that Bubba moved the front crossmember because he couldn't figure out how to remove/replace the 3-4" long fan spacer?  Wouldn't that be the height of Bubba-ism, to cut the frame to avoid installing a shorter fan spacer?
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2018 at 11:01am
Just fyi, mine has a new fuel tank and I put in a brass float sending unit from Walck's. Be sure to ground that sending unit. I ran a wire from one of the sending unit mounting screws to a nearby bolt in the body. My gauge works perfectly now.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>