Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1946 CJ2a #45682

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44bz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2018 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Just fyi, mine has a new fuel tank and I put in a brass float sending unit from Walck's. Be sure to ground that sending unit. I ran a wire from one of the sending unit mounting screws to a nearby bolt in the body. My gauge works perfectly now.

Thanks for the tip.  The sending unit I got is all metal, but has a plastic float, which I don't particularly care for.  I'll check Walck's site to see about upgrading to a brass one.
44bz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44bz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2018 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

The sending unit should take #8-32 screws, maybe 1/2" long.  New repro tank?  No telling what it takes...

Do you suppose that Bubba moved the front crossmember because he couldn't figure out how to remove/replace the 3-4" long fan spacer?  Wouldn't that be the height of Bubba-ism, to cut the frame to avoid installing a shorter fan spacer?

Thanks for the specs on the screws.  I picked up a new steel tank - of the Omix-Ada variety.  It looks to be good quality.  My CJ did not have a tank in it.

The cross member situation is a head scratcher, even more so is that the "new" cross member wasn't even welded in except for one weld that came loose with some minor wiggling.  I really hope the PO didn't butcher the original because he couldn't figure out how to replace the fan spacer with a shorter version. 

I'll get some pics of the front end today and see what you guys think.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2018 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by 44bz 44bz wrote:

[QUOTE=Ol' Unreliable]I really hope the PO didn't butcher the original because he couldn't figure out how to replace the fan spacer with a shorter version. 

Don't...DO NOT... get bogged down trying to figure out the whys and wherefores of the Bubba.  It's a waste of time, intelligent people have actually hurt themselves in the attempt...  everything goes forward from here.  Work the problem(s)... forward.

You'll find your willys time so much more enjoyable and productive.  Marvel in Bubbas bubba-ing, to be sure...just never question the why. (You'd likely only actually be right about 15% of the time anyway).

"Forward" LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2018 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Don't...DO NOT... get bogged down trying to figure out the whys and wherefores of the Bubba.

Definitely not.  Bubba is what Bubba is.  Big smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
44bz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44bz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2018 at 5:49pm
So turns out I actually have CJ2a #44313.  The data plates on the firewall and frame corner are intact and match.  The title I have is for a 1946 CJ2a #45682 and the license plate number shown on the title matches the plate on the Jeep itself, although it hasn't been registered since 1974 I think.  I did check the plate number with DMV and it is no longer in their system.
I contacted the seller as his sticking point on price was the rarity of these early Jeeps coming with an original title.  When I bought it, I didn't think to check the numbers and honestly didn't know where to look on the body/frame for the serial number - my bad.  The seller did send me a written statement and bill of sale so I at least have something saying I paid for it and will have to apply for a lost title I guess.
What I assumed was a Buick 225 is actually the earlier Buick 198 v6.  I finally had a chance to scrape off enough rust scale and grime to find the block stamp.  I'm still not sure the motor is salvageable.  It looks good on the inside and has clean oil in it, but I'm watching craigslist for a running replacement.
In the meantime I'm collecting parts to start my rebuild this summer.  I have a nice driveway to work in, but no cover and the rain has been pretty steady here. 
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2018 at 10:05pm
Is it possible that was the motor S/N?  Didn't they sometimes title according to that?
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 7:00am
Good point McG.
From my reading here I think they did have the engine numbers running a little ahead of the frame/body S/Ns.
Therefor it might really be the original title.

I wouldn't give up on the 198 until I knew it had major problems.
An engine in the frame is worth two on Craigslist. Wink
1946 CJ2A 14098
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Bill2A Bill2A wrote:

An engine in the frame is worth two on Craigslist. Wink

Willys philosophy, lol
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2018 at 5:46pm
44bz I'm also an Oregon member and just for interest my title for my 48 clearly lists an engine number as the serial number for the vehicle. Now mine had no dash tags when my dad bought it in 1962 (to the best of my knowledge dad would have kept them) SO it could be it was common for Oregon to use the engine number.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
44bz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44bz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 2:15am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

44bz I'm also an Oregon member and just for interest my title for my 48 clearly lists an engine number as the serial number for the vehicle. Now mine had no dash tags when my dad bought it in 1962 (to the best of my knowledge dad would have kept them) SO it could be it was common for Oregon to use the engine number.

Well that's interesting.  Is the engine number located anywhere on the body or frame?  Since I don't have the original engine anymore, I wonder how I can confirm the title is original to this Jeep.

Haven't given up on the 198.  I'll run it if I can get it running.  It needs valve covers and an intake to start - the valve covers have holes in them and the intake is pretty rusty also.  I'm trolling ebay for parts.  I hope I didn't give off the impression that I'm discouraged.  I'm still really excited about having an old flat fender and especially looking forward to driving it someday.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 3:29am
No engine number on any where but engine.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 3:39am
It's actually not that uncommon for older vehicles to be titled with the engine number. There wasn't a standardized VIN system until more recently. Something I learned from this site. My 48 is titled in Wisconsin with the engine number. It can be kind of a problem if you don't have the original engine.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 3:45am
Originally posted by 48walker 48walker wrote:

It can be kind of a problem if you don't have the original engine.

Which in my opinion is the biggest reason one shouldn't do it with that number.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2018 at 1:42pm
I guess that work great, at the time.
They probably never dreamed anyone would care about this much later.
1946 CJ2A 14098
44bz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 44bz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 4:27pm
How have you all dealt with this titling issue?  I haven't contacted DMV yet, but I'm wondering what to expect.  If the serial number on the title matches the original engine, which I no longer have and there is no other way to identify the engine number will DMV take issue with that?

I think it will be to my favor that this Jeep hasn't been registered in so long and there likely is no record of it in the DMV system at this point.  The license plate matches the title, but plates can be swapped so easily I doubt that proves anything.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 5:29pm
Right up front, I have no personal experience chasing a title, but in my opinion the lack of registration in so long probably works against you...  No record in the system means it didn't belong to whomever you bought it from.

The robots in the MA RMV like things handed to them.  It's all about the paperwork, not what's in the parking lot.  Previous title with SN and PO that matches whats on BOS?...Rubber stamp.

No title, but have a previous registration with same PO and address on it that matches BOS?  Rubber stamp... doesn't matter what's actually on the rig outside.

No title, no previous reg, or an extended period of time since last reg?... the wheels lock up and no love.  In MA you then have to deal with the titling division, and they most likely will want to see it.  I think they used to accept pencil rubbings of the SN or VIN, but those days are gone I believe.

In short, if you have a title signed over to you, and the PO on the title matches the PO on your BOS I'd expect they'd just crunch the paperwork and retitle it under the same number to you...YMMV.

I actually snuck a little past them in that my PO's title said SN CJ2A69750, and it bugged me since the SN is actually 69750... so on the new title app I put just the 69750 and no one cared.  On a bad day theyd've continued on with the CJ2A69750, but the system is inherently flawed anyway.  My jeep was 25 miles away, and for all they knew the SN on the tag said "rumplestilskin".

It's more about playing the system by their rules, not about the system actually working.  I guarantee you there are 3B's running around titled as 2A's, and vice versa.  That's why there is a (ehem) market for "historical documents"... most rmv inspectors wouldn't know a 2A from a 3B from GPW, so a GPW with 3B tags is fine with them, so long as they get to "check the box" Confused

ETA:  Just know that if you play fast and loose with the numbers it can work against you, too.  Should you title and register it with the previous ESN, and the worst happens and it gets stolen, should LE find it they'll have no way of knowing it's yours unless the thieves are smart enough to leave the license plates on it Cry (or in MA the inspection sticker, lol)

Edited by mbullism - 17 Apr. 2018 at 5:51pm
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 6:33pm
44bz,

Awesome to see you jumping.  Don't get discouraged by what Bubba did.  There was a time before the internet when people did what they could to keep these old Jeeps running one way or another.  I am glad that people just did not scrap them.  Your title and plate issue could be as simple as someone along the way taking two Jeeps and making one.  

Keep at it!
Stev  

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2018 at 6:57pm
Welcome to the site! There is a lot of good guys here willing to help
you with your project. Believe me I know because I'm one of those
guys asking a lot of questions. My project sounds a bit like your's
not show room but just fun to drive and work on it as I can.
One word I would say is take lots of photos as you break it
down, it will sure help when your putting it back together.
Good Luck and can't wait to see what you do.

RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>