Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1946 CJ2A Military Clone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2023 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Willy Nilly Willy Nilly wrote:

Rockers?

Yes, that's generally what I call the area under the door opening on most vehicles...may not apply to jeeps, dunno.

Anyway, that big piece of tubing under the body that usually isn't there.

Edit....Ahh, looks like we were typing at the same time...thanks.

Edited by rocnroll - 29 Jan. 2023 at 9:50pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2023 at 10:06pm
Spark plug wires, Bruce?   Engine looks great and am glad it’s up and running. Congrats!!
Mike in AZ
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2023 at 10:37pm
  Yep. One of my pet peeves. Should have 90* connectors, I’ll accept them with or without boots. Straight connectors just look wrong to me. Somebody told me that 90* plug wires are not available. I’m throwing the BS flag on that one. Some parts countermen are just lazy, that’s all. All of the jeep parts suppliers have 90* wires. One time I’ll agree with Kaiser-Willys: “Includes proper 90 degree boots for flat head motor”. I dont know why so many end up with straight ends. I suppose because the straight ends are kind of a “fitzall” solution. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 29 Jan. 2023 at 10:38pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Willy Nilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy Nilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2023 at 11:09pm
The wires I have came with the Jeep for free.  They are high quality solid copper core with high quality factory crimped-on connectors at both ends.  I believe they are non-suppression.  The 90 degree plug wires that I have seen online appear to have cheap cr*ppy thin metal connectors at the distributor end, with a little point that is somehow supposed to make contact with the core, that you then have to somehow crimp on yourself with two more little points digging into the insulation, and they then just fall off, just like the universal cut-to-fit garbage wires I have used in the past.

If you can show me some high quality 90 degree wires, I'd be interested.
1946 Willys CJ2A military clone
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2023 at 11:33pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy Nilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2023 at 11:54pm
Hey thanks.  The one from Walck's look just like what I am looking for.  I swear I didn't see them when I searched for plug wires last time I was on their site.  I must be losing it.  But the ones from kw look like the cr*ppy wire ends, and the ones from rfjp don't specify copper and look like the cr*ppy ends.

Edited by Willy Nilly - 29 Jan. 2023 at 11:57pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 12:04am
  You’re right, but I would bet my lunch that RFJP’s wires are wire. A call to Ron would verify. He also has these:

Kaiser-Willys would be my last choice in this, as in anything. 

Don’t take it too hard, I was only funnin’ ya. But that is a pet peeve of mine. 
BW 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy Nilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 12:29am
Those rfjp wires look good also.  It doesn't say, so I will call and see if they are solid copper core.  They source them and a lot of other parts from JMP Joe's Motor Pool.  I have found some of their parts to be OK but not all.  Also, I find it very difficult to do word searches on rfjp.  For example, if you search spark plug wire, you will only find a set for a Dodge HT, whatever that is.  You actually have to search under ignition wire.

Here's another fun fact.  If you do a Micrsoft Edge/Bing search for walcks willys jeep parts, the first listing is actually kaiserwillys.com.  I probably searched kaiserwillys for spark plug wires thinking I was on Walck's.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 12:11pm
I was trying to figure it out too, and had decided Bruce didn't like the red boots and was going to offer some of these right angle boots as used on old Dodge flatheads to keep water away from the well.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 12:21pm
Those spark plug shields keep water from collecting in the spark plug wells and shorting out the plugs. 

Certainly not original equipment, and the Jeep Police (Bruce) probably would not like them on a Jeep, but they sure are nice when driving in the rain.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 12:34pm
  When I look for something like that on Walcks’ or RFJP’s website I just go into whichever “category” I expect to find the part in and browse through until I find it. Walcks sometimes has “sub-categories” to narrow the field, as in this case. 
  I despise the straight-on connectors, except on an F-head or a big-block Chevy, where they belong. The red boots just make them stick out more. “Hey! Look at me!”Big smile
  I’ll have to admit, my ‘48 Lefty has incorrect plug wires on it. They are 90* ends, but they say “Ford” on them. They’re leftovers from my Flathead V8 days. Smile
BW 

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

The red boots just make them stick out more. “Hey! Look at me!”Big smile 

....LOL Big smile....

At least the boots are black..Embarrassed

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 1:00pm
You can buy aftermarket 90 deg boots and just remove the straight ones and replace with the 90's. I knew Bruce would see mine so I did the switch before he could arrest me.LOL
BOULDER 48 2A
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 1:07pm
Every time I see Chad's flathead V8 conversion I think about the one in a 47 Ford truck sitting at my friend's house and what a good home I could find for it. 
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 1:07pm
What about a set of Rajahs?

Edited by Michaeltru - 30 Jan. 2023 at 1:08pm
Mike in AZ
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 1:21pm
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

The red boots just make them stick out more. “Hey! Look at me!”Big smile 

....LOL Big smile....

At least the boots are black..Embarrassed

Red wires and even clear ones were common in the fifties and sixties. The fit right in on a hot rod. 
BW 

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

....I think about the one in a 47 Ford truck sitting at my friend's house and what a good home I could find for it. 

Be easier to just build that truck.....'47s are pretty cool and would be easier to sell in the end.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>