Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1947 CJ-2A #123456: Diesel Swap Automatic Build
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 CJ-2A #123456: Diesel Swap Automatic Build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RustyAutoholicGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1947 CJ-2A #123456: Diesel Swap Automatic Build
    Posted: 14 July 2021 at 3:32pm
Hey Everyone,

As I'm wrapping up my Kubota diesel swap on my 2006 RHD TJ Wrangler, I can finally turn my attention to my 1947 CJ-2A serial number #123456. I'm calling this Project KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) because my TJ swap has been anything but. Also I have started a build thread on this Jeep in the past but I have now redone the driveline setup so many times I figured I'd just started fresh. 

Here is a picture of the day I brought home my 1947 CJ-2a back in 2016:

AND here is how my CJ-2a sits today . . . I have actually painted the body twice and I'm going to paint the body again, I just can't seem to get happy with the color. 

It has always been my intention to diesel swap my CJ-2A, the original frame, axles, engine, transmission and transfer case have long since been sold. The engine was not original, though I can't remember what it was out of, its been too many years since I got rid of it to remember what it was out of. 

I've mentioned my diesel TJ Wrangler, in a way I'm glad I did that project first, though it's taken my 3 years to complete, I have learned a TON from doing it and especially what I don't want to do on this swap for my CJ-2a. 

So just for my reference my 2006 TJ Wrangler has a Kubota V2403 diesel engine mated to a Ford 6r80 6-speed automatic which then is mated to the original NP231 transfer case with a completed water-to-air intercooler setup running a Borg Warner K03 turbo. This is actually the second driveline setup in my TJ Wrangler in my quest to get everything running correctly. 

So here is the plan for my for CJ-2a

First the engine! I'm going to be using a 2000 Volkswagen ALH TDI engine with a Malone Stage 0 Turbo Delete Tune. By deleting the turbo I will be looking at 60hp and 85ft/lbs of torque. While I'll be down on peak torque compared to the Go Devil engine, I will have the same HP. I'll also hit my peak torque much sooner in the RPM range compared to the Go Devil engine as well. 

Next I'll move onto the chassis. I'll be using a Suzuki Samurai frame, suspension, transfer case and axles for this build. It give me modern steering and disc brakes while being nearly identical to the stock chassis in terms of overall length, width and wheel base. This will save me a ton of fabrication work. Also the Samurai bolt pattern is the same as my CJ-2a so I can just bolt my stock wheels to the axles which is awesome. 

Next is the transmission. I'm going to be using a 3-speed automatic from a 90s Suzuki Sidekick. I'm doing this for several reason. First there is already a kit available to mount this 3-speed automatic onto my Samurai frame and connect it to my Samurai Transfer case. Secondly there is already an adapter as well for mating my VW TDI engine to the transmission as well so no fab work there either. People have been mating this automatic to the stock 1.3l and 1.6l Samurai engines so I know the transmission will work well with a non-turbo diesel engine as it has more HP and torque than the Samurai engines. 

Next is the transfer case. I already mentioned I'll be using the Suzuki Samurai transfer case. However I already have an upgraded Samurai transfer case which is a 1.70:1 high range and 6.5:1 Low Range which is going to give me a great crawl ratio in my CJ-2a. Also not having a 1:1 high range means I can use with the stock 3.73 gears in the Suzuki Samurai axles as well. This will really help move my CJ-2a both on the road and on the trails. 

Finally I'm turning my attention to tires, which will be BF Goodrich K03 All Terrain 235/85r16 tires. So I will have a narrow 31.7 inch tires on my CJ-2a, this tire should work well both on the road and on the trails as well. It being narrow as well will help with both the manual steering and brakes which is a benefit as well. 

I'm picking up the diesel engine tomorrow evening and have already started ordering the various other pieces and adapters that I'm going to be using for this swap. Once I get my TJ Wrangler done, I'm looking to have this swap done in about 3 ~ 6 months since it's so much simpler compared to my diesel swap in my TJ Wrangler. 

Let me know what you think! 

Thanks
Grant aka Rusty Autoholic Guy
1947 CJ2A #123456
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 7:23pm
Why remove the turbo? The ALH is one of the best motors ever.
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 8:17pm
A minor thing, but I ran 235/85-16 BFG Mud-Terrains on a 1975 CJ5 for several years.  I would not recommend that size on a light weight vehicle.  As you are mentioning, the height and width are nice, but they are load range E.  They rode like rocks until the tire pressure was so low that they handled like mush.  There was no happy medium.  I'd really suggest looking for something in a load range C, or possibly even a B if you weren't going so tall and weren't going to abuse them.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 9:51pm
Sounds like a fun build. 
Looking forward to following your build. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
RustyAutoholicGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RustyAutoholicGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 10:38am
Originally posted by windyhill windyhill wrote:

Why remove the turbo? The ALH is one of the best motors ever.

Because I don't want to have to deal with the intercooler, piping and turbo and EGTs. I've always been a fan of the flat fender Jeeps because they had everything you needed and nothing that you didn't need. I'd rather go for simplicity than big power. If I can my mind in the future I can always add a turbo to the setup but for now I'm aiming for simplicity. 

Originally posted by Nothing Special Nothing Special wrote:

A minor thing, but I ran 235/85-16 BFG Mud-Terrains on a 1975 CJ5 for several years.  I would not recommend that size on a light weight vehicle.  As you are mentioning, the height and width are nice, but they are load range E.  They rode like rocks until the tire pressure was so low that they handled like mush.  There was no happy medium.  I'd really suggest looking for something in a load range C, or possibly even a B if you weren't going so tall and weren't going to abuse them.

Thanks for the insight on that! I'll look at 235/85r16 tires still but for something softer!

Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

Sounds like a fun build. 
Looking forward to following your build. 

Thank you so much! I'm really am trying to keep this diesel automatic swap/build as simple as possible!

-Grant
1947 CJ2A #123456
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2021 at 10:33pm
Hey Grant, glad to see your back at the CJ.  Will you document it as well on your YouTube channel?
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
 Post Reply Post Reply