Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

------- 1947 CJ2A "Rat patrol" ----------

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2019 at 3:04pm
Congrats on your new adventure!
I wish people would quit hittin' me on the head. MQ
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2019 at 3:42am

Pulled the seats & fuel tank to get all of the moisture retaining mud & debris out of the interior.
Floor looks better than I thought it would. Looks like someone put a floor patch on the driver's side, passenger side looked better. From the inside lid of the toolbox, it appears that this CJ was originally red.  Is it recommended to use Rust Mort or a similar product on the floorboards where rust has started?
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2019 at 6:29pm
Welcome to the flat fender world!  Looks like you scored a very solid jeep.  Get it bucked up and check out epic events like Mike's Fall Color Tour in Colorado.  I'm new to Oregon and haven't been able to join the Spring Fling yet.

If it's just surface rust then you could use something like Ospho or equivalent to neutralize the rust.  Folks also report good success with POR-15.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2019 at 9:01pm
Block serial #, best I can tell, it's 3J15506 - but the "1" might be a "4"

Body tub #

Cleaned up left side of block & pulled the old fuel pump, new one on order. No oil filter assy on this engine, from the green paint over the plug it looks like it has been w/o since it was rebuilt.

Getting things in order before I attempt a first start. Removed oil bath filter & cleaned it up & refilled w/oil, drained coolant (looked great, nice & green as it should be), drained & refilled oil, disconnected heater hoses & capped off, cleaning up wiring connections, replacing ignition components. 
 Possibly rebuild carb but may try as is to start. Need to get 6v battery & jury rig a fuel supply.

Coming along. So far I am feeling good about my chances for success.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2019 at 10:29pm
Not that it matters, lol, but the 3J in the ESN typical means it left the factory in a CJ3A... flange on the front engine plate at the drivers side would "L" forward (instead of back towards the firewall) to allow more room for a 3a fuel pump.  Looks like bubba made that mount work-

God bless bubba Wink  

ETA: The ACM# on the toeboard gusset fits early '47 2A Thumbs Up

Edited by mbullism - 14 Sep. 2019 at 10:34pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2019 at 3:16am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Not that it matters, lol, but the 3J in the ESN typical means it left the factory in a CJ3A... flange on the front engine plate at the drivers side would "L" forward (instead of back towards the firewall) to allow more room for a 3a fuel pump.  Looks like bubba made that mount work-

God bless bubba Wink  

ETA: The ACM# on the toeboard gusset fits early '47 2A Thumbs Up

Thought the motor mount bracket looked hacked. Early '47 sounds right, serial # is 88659.

Any tips on prep for first start? 
Is it necessary to prime the oiling system by sending pressurized oil thru the oil gauge port, or will just cranking it over be ok? 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2019 at 11:48am
Just me (you do you) but if the engine came to me upright in a vehicle I'd be inclined to assume the oil pump was still primed...  

ymmv
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2019 at 4:34am
Well, new fuel pump & battery installed. Decided just to see if the starter would turn it over w/o plugs installed. Jury rigged a foot control switch inline with the battery cables. No dice. Drive bumped out a little & then nothing but a light click noise from the starter. 
 Yes, I am using proper sized cables, all connections were cleaned with a wire brush attachment on my dremel & ground lead was going directly to one of the starter mounting bolts. 
 So, I pulled the starter out & tore it apart on the bench. Brushes & drive looked decent but both bushings were shot. Dropped it off at my local rebuilder to have them re-bush it & test armature & field coils.
 Ordered a new bellhousing bushing for the drive, looks pretty nasty.
 Have seen better flywheel ring gears, but it should be good enough until I get to clutch replacement.

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2019 at 4:51am
I think I am converting to a 12 volt setup once I verify that this engine runs decently.
6 volt components are ridiculously over priced now days - starters, generators, regulators, cables, lighting. Things have changed since I got out of the auto parts business 15 years ago!

The modern gear reduction starters look nice - no more bellhousing bushing!

Single wire Delco 12 volt alternator setup makes for a nice clean install -looks hassle free
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2019 at 3:36am
Finally found something on this old beater that looks good! Pulled cover on front differential, oil smelled & looked fine.

Welded some wheel studs to the rear hub so I could pull the drum (after breaking off all of the left hand thread studs - dumbass). I was prepared for a struggle, but it came off easy. Brakes looked pretty much as expected.
Vince View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2019 at 8:56am
I used to own #88209 which - like your jeep - was originally Harvard Red and had the earlier parking lights etc. The casting date on the transmission was 18th December 1946 - so right on the cusp of 46/47. 

I'm amazed about how solid your body and particularly the rear floor look. #88209 had spent her life in Rhode Island and the rear floor and wheel housings had completely rotted taking some of the frame with them. Your jeep looks great, and I love the half cab too.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2019 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Vince Vince wrote:

I used to own #88209 which - like your jeep - was originally Harvard Red and had the earlier parking lights etc. The casting date on the transmission was 18th December 1946 - so right on the cusp of 46/47. 

I'm amazed about how solid your body and particularly the rear floor look. #88209 had spent her life in Rhode Island and the rear floor and wheel housings had completely rotted taking some of the frame with them. Your jeep looks great, and I love the half cab too.

I don't know, the body is pretty rusty. But maybe I am just used to seeing West coast vehicles.
 In the past, Oregon has not used salt on the roads in winter & that helps a LOT to keep cars alive longer.

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2019 at 1:58pm

Carb rebuilt!  Just waiting on a couple of missing linkage parts.
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2019 at 4:09am
Cool project, welcome from your neighbor from the south. Thumbs Up
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2019 at 11:30pm
Well I'll be damned.  It actually started today.

I cobbled in a toggle switch for ignition & the starter foot switch for testing.
No knocking, no weird noises, a LOT of smoke from the essentailube that I dumped down the plug holes to loosen the rings...... BUT IT RUNS!  Shut it down once it got warm. Did not check oil pressure or temp.  Will do @ next startup....

In celebration I stenciled it's name on the side. Ain't it a peach?

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2019 at 1:54am
Got the new choke & throttle cables installed & mounted the foot starter switch in it's correct location.
 All works fine, started it up, got it warm, shut down & removed plugs.
 Did a dry & wet compression test - 1,2,& 3 were on the low side, but consistent & found ZERO compression on #4. Hoping for a hung up valve, needed to pull the side cover & adjust the valves anyway.

Bubba thoughtfully cut a neat access hole in the firewall for the accel linkage pivot that bolts to the back of the block.

Edited by dasvis - 04 Nov. 2019 at 2:08am
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 4:00am

OK, so here's the issue. Getting a bore scope from work tomorrow just to see if there is something stuck between the valve & seat.

Edited by dasvis - 05 Nov. 2019 at 4:02am
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2019 at 8:14pm
Mike,

What I recently did to free-up a stuck valve is to slip a .040 feeler gauge into the gap and rotate the engine with the starter. This will move the valve because if sitting for several years they may stick in the open position.
   I sprayed liberal WD-40 down through the spark plug hole with the red tip pushed down through the open valve seat (with spark plug removed) to lube the stem on the exhaust port end.
    If i doesn't pop down, repeat previous procedure.

What worked for me was to continue adding thicker feeler gauges until almost spring-bind, then drove a flat-blade screwdriver through the spring coils on each side of the guide to pop the valve closed.
    i used a wire down through the spark plug hole to make sure i had room between the valve head and the combustion chamber inside the head.

The engine certainly won't rust with all the gook.   hahahaha

Enjoy !

Len
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>