Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

------- 1947 CJ2A "Rat patrol" ----------

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2020 at 4:33pm

Rebuilding my spare shift tower & found that one of the shift forks was pretty worn, it's # 642766
 Anyone have an un-needed decent extra? 
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2021 at 5:01am
Pulled steering gear & column out for rebuild. Yeah, it was pretty worn out. Ended up the only usable items were the steering gear housing, column clamp & the little spring seat under the steering wheel. All else is new.
  Tried everything to get the steering wheel off w/o destroying it to no avail. Finally ended up cutting the spokes off with my 4-1/2" cutoff wheel, chunked all the rubber off of the hub, then cut two deep slits in either side the actual hub & split it off with a chisel. No way that was coming off otherwise - it was really rusted - as was the upper spring & bearing. 
  New left & right tie rod assemblies, a Joe DeYoung rebuilt bellcrank, rebuilt the drag link, sector shaft & bushings, worm gear shaft & bearings, outer column housing, upper steering column bearing & spring, horn ring, horn contact, horn button kit, steering wheel, & new pitman arm. Have way more into the steering than I planned, but like brakes, steering is kind of important....

Engine machine work is done, just waiting for a dry day to pick it up - Thursday looks good.

Project is coming along.  Pics to follow tomorrow.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2021 at 11:31am
I did all the same with the steering system on my 47 CJ2A last Summer.

Another thing you should do to complete the job is new king pin bearings. 

In my case I had a military surplus axle which was either NOS or reconditioned by the military, so it was in as new condition.

I drove the Jeep before I had replaced the axle and with all the other steering components in new condition it drove a heck of a lot better than when I first got the Jeep, but still had some slop. 

After I rolled than NOS axle under it I almost couldn't believe how much more difference those final components made. It now drives better than any Jeep I ever owned.  
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2021 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I did all the same with the steering system on my 47 CJ2A last Summer.

Another thing you should do to complete the job is new king pin bearings. 

Yes indeed, once I get the steering all back together the king pins, front axles, wheel bearings, & brakes are next to do on the rebuild. Hate to have too many things in pieces at once!
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2021 at 2:09am

Been putting this off, but I had free time today so I jumped into the pedal pivot replacement.
 --- Cut the old wallered out bracket off........

& decided to replace it with that later bolt-on pivot rather than weld on. I agree with Stan (Grampas jeep) that it would be easier to replace a bent bolt on than a weld on.

Measured & test fit several times before drilling the holes & the install came out pretty sanitary if I do say so myself.

it all moves freely w/o binding. Only issue is that the new replacement brake arm is bent wrong & the hole in the floor does not line up exactly. From what I have read it's common on the aftermarket arms & you can heat them up & bend it to fit.

Now to get the rebuilt steering gear installed & start on the brakes.........

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2021 at 5:09am

Been to busy to make many updates on progress, but here is the latest .... front end finally done!
All new brake system & all new steering components. Turning it around in the garage & starting on back brakes & bearings tomorrow night.
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2021 at 5:38am
Good that you got ssome work done, actually I am watching old episodes of the show on my computer.
john
Hillwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hillwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2021 at 6:28am
I’m glad to see updates on this jeep. 
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2021 at 6:45am
Looking at one picture reminded of my mother. We were heading back to Arvada after I took her out for lunch and noticed that  we were being tailgated, I said something to her about it "You want me to flip them off"? I had a good laugh from that.
john
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2021 at 7:56am
Back brakes done, rear wheel bearings replaced, & system filled with DOT 5...... moving on.

No photos to post, but am excited to finally be working on the engine!
 Crank & bearings checked for clearances, rear main seal installed, & thrust clearance set - all good & no issues. Went with the Joe's motor pool neoprene rear main seal- pretty happy with the fit, but time will tell. 

Edited by dasvis - 02 June 2021 at 7:57am
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2021 at 12:28am
Well, after 2 years almost to the day I finally had DMV do a VIN inspection, title transfer, & registered with the vintage 1947 Oregon plates. 
  I was out the door for $205 total --"Special interest" vehicle lifetime registration fee @ $100, title transfer fee of $98, & VIN inspection $7
 Pretty reasonable I thought & they did not tag me for the $50 late title xfer fee.

All in all a very painless DMV trip, I was expecting major hassles being that this had an 1980 Idaho title, & had not ever been registered by that owner- who sold it in 1983 to the person in Oregon that I bought from & also they never registered it nor did they do a title transfer. Both were ranch owners & they never drove it on the street.
 I think my saving grace was that the title was signed off, but never dated.... DMV had me fill in the date & never asked for a bill of sale. 
  All in all a good day!
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2021 at 12:17am

Engine & tranny mated....... Install next week....
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2021 at 12:28pm
Steering system buttoned up & double checked, brakes bled, pedal adjusted & system checked for leaks.

READY FOR ENGINE INSTALL

Probably will start on it this evening after I get some house paint work done.

Still a long ways to go, but this is a major milestone.
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2021 at 9:33pm
Very cool Clap
Can’t wait to see it back together.
Keep up the good work!
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 12:33am
This is the first attempt - with the lift at the "1-ton" hole it would not allow the engine to clear the front crossmember, had to re-adjust to the 1,000# hole...

& it's in!  Struggled with getting the transmission/transfer case crossmember bolted in, but finally succeeded. Lifted rear of trans with my floor jack, loosely bolted one side of crossmember, then used the bottle jack from my Tacoma to hold up & raise the other end of the crossmember while I wiggled it around to get the transmission mount studs aligned & in their holes. Once I finally had those mothers lined up, I just raised to bottle jack up & installed the vertical bolt in the crossmember. 
  Would have been much easier with a helper, but it's doable solo.
 Just have the motor mount bolts & two of the six crossmember bolts loosely installed for now- but I'm tired & headed for bed.

Edited by dasvis - 29 Aug. 2021 at 7:19am
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2021 at 1:12am

Picked up a roll bar from fellow CJ2A pager "Berettajeep" in Astoria. Nice guy, good deal - thanks Dennis!

Personally I think they look better without one, but the wife won't let me roll w/o this & seatbelts.
 Will come in handy to hang spare gas & water cans & a fire extinguisher on.

Getting closer to first start on new engine. Installed starter & carburetor, waiting on a new alternator & mount kit to arrive next week.  I plan to start initially with the 6v battery & points to check oil pressure & temp.... then get a 12v internally resisted coil, install a Pertronics ignition kit, 12v battery, new cables, & hook up the alternator. 
 Going to run with the 6v starter for a while & see how it goes. Will likely upgrade to a ND gear reduction 12v unit at some point.

Edited by dasvis - 29 Aug. 2021 at 1:16am
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2021 at 9:37am
My experience with running a 6 volt starter with a 12 volt system is that it can be done. However, it does kind of bang into the ring gear when engaging and will eventually trash the flywheel ring gear. I wouldn't put off the replacement 12 volt starter too long. Just sayin'!

I put off far too long changing my 6 volt out for the 12 volt and ended up changing out the ring gear.

Sounds like you are getting close to putting Rat Patrol on the road and trail. Good deal...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2021 at 8:12am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

My experience with running a 6 volt starter with a 12 volt system is that it can be done. However, it does kind of bang into the ring gear when engaging and will eventually trash the flywheel ring gear. I wouldn't put off the replacement 12 volt starter too long. Just sayin'!

Good point, from what I see, most of the 12v gear reduction starters listed on ebay & amazon are made by IMI performance products out of Whittier, CA.
 Their part # IMI-134-001

Would hate to have to pull it back apart to replace my brand new ring gear.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>