Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 CJ2a Willys Jeep finds a new home

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 1:12pm
Looks like I have hit a snag on my simple carburetor rebuild.  Before I replaced the carb I decided to clean the old oil bath air cleaner and clean and paint all of the parts.  When I removed the crossover tube I discovered several of the studs on the left side of the head have been replaced with bolts.  The rear bolt holding the crossover tube literally turned with my fingers when I removed it and will not torque back.  The forward bolt did torque back.  My bad for not have noticed this before but the motor has always run fine past the dirty carb issues so I have never really examined everything up close.  Looks like I will be pulling the head and assessing the situation.  Hope it's not too bad and is something that is fixable without much issue.  Warnings and advice are appreciated.  

1947 CJ2a #155307
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 2:01am
Okay, the head is off.  I discovered some carbon on the # 1 and # 2 pistons, the other two were clean.  The head was good.  The usual build up and stuff in the water jacket but not really bad.  Five of the studs had been replaced with three 1/2 - 13 bolts and two replaced with 7/16th's - 14 bolts.  The rest of the studs were correct.  I found no leaking of antifreeze in the combustion chamber.  Overall was happy with my findings.  It could have been a lot worse.  Sorry about the quality of the pictures.  It's either a new camera or spend the money on Jeep parts.  Guess which I choose. 

1947 CJ2a #155307
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 5:35pm
Making progress, glad to see you back at it. time-sert might be a good fix to having the same size  head stud through out.
Phil
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 12:20am
The head is back on and torqued down.  Ended up replacing the two 7/16th's bolts with the correct studs.  The 1/2 inch bolts were used with only one being replaced with a slightly longer bolt.  I know it's not correct but it will work until a future motor rebuild.  Progress is slowly being made cleaning and painting parts.  Waiting on a parts order which I expect it's delivery tomorrow.  The newly rebuilt carburetor has not been put on it yet.  Hope to show that in my next post.  Thanks for all of your support and as always advice is appreciated.

1947 CJ2a #155307
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 4:22pm
Its a thing of beauty. You going to love driving the old girl again.
Phil
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2019 at 12:51am
Finally getting around to another update.  Had a little trouble figuring out the oil return line as the oil filter and the engine block fitting were both 1/8 pipe thread.  Working around the fuel pump challenged my poor old simple mind but I got 'er done.  Trying my best to put her back to somewhat original.  Will try to get the tune up kit, new plug wires and rebuilt carburetor on in the next few days.  After that will be time to fire her up and see how much I've messed things up.  Thanks for the help I've gotten from a few friends.  They know who they are.    

1947 CJ2a #155307
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2019 at 12:53am
1947 CJ2a #155307
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2019 at 8:45pm
1947 CJ2a #155307
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2019 at 8:47pm
Above three pictures are of the rebuilt carburetor and fuel filter installed today.  Thanks to Scout Pilot for his patience and advice.  Now hope I did it right.  Plan on a tune up tomorrow.
1947 CJ2a #155307
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234