Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2018 at 5:43pm
Here is a picture from the side.
-Gaffer
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2018 at 6:17pm
Looks Awesome!Clap Much better... What size tires did you end up going with?
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2018 at 7:13pm
These are the smallest swampers available I believe, 29 x 8.50 15LT  bias ply tires.  I wrestled with getting the 31 9.50 radial swampers but, like the closer to stock size and I like the looks of the TSL bias over the radials.  I also want to know what a close to stock tire size drives like before I make any changes.  I intend to order an M38 tailgate with gas can and spare mount for my 5th matching spare.  It will not be original but I intend to get this out to use.
-Gaffer
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2018 at 9:40pm
I like those....may have to look some of those up.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2018 at 10:04pm
Gaffer,

There are some great designs for rear tire mounts and 5 gallon can holders here.  Stan and others have some nice designs.  No need for an M38 tail gate with these designs.  They mount to the back of the Cj2A using the draw bar and the tail gate latches.  Use the search function to find them.

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2018 at 5:11am
Sweet tires!!
The white wheels look sharpClap

I would 2nd the rear spare and gas can mount frame. 
Be a shame not to have that matching tailgate on there. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2018 at 5:46am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Gaffer,

There are some great designs for rear tire mounts and 5 gallon can holders here.  Stan and others have some nice designs.  No need for an M38 tail gate with these designs.  They mount to the back of the Cj2A using the draw bar and the tail gate latches.  Use the search function to find them.

Stev

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2018 at 3:03am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I like those....may have to look some of those up.

Thanks.  Looks like you might be less than 2 hours from my house.  We may have to meet up to ride sometime after I get it driving.
-Gaffer
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2018 at 3:10am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Gaffer,

Stev
Thanks Stev.  I am curious if tying the body to the frame with the spare tire mount has caused any issues with tearing of sheet metal since they move differently.  It would be easier to make and cheaper to boot.  That will take a little more studying.
-Gaffer
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2018 at 3:15am
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

Sweet tires!!
The white wheels look sharpClap

I would 2nd the rear spare and gas can mount frame. 
Be a shame not to have that matching tailgate on there. 

You know the tailgate does add to the character of the jeep.  Good point. 

I can't help but notice you have a jeepster commando listed in your signature.  I've got a '71 myself.  I drove it all through college.  It just keeps going.  I have let it set for more than a year or two multiple times but I charge the battery and pump the gas and it just keeps going.  One of my all time most reliable vehicles.  I hope my cj2a isn't reading this.  I don't want conflict in the family.
-Gaffer
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2018 at 3:20am
Thanks Stan,

I have to say that your cj2a is legendary in my opinion.  I have poured over the many video's from you and JPet that show your jeep walking all over some pretty serious obsticles.Clap  My hat is off to you.  I'll be studying your rack designs over the next few months.  Thanks for the reply.
-Gaffer
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2018 at 12:10pm
I really need to build a drawbar mounted tire rack. Mine has a cobbled together M38 type mount. Stress has caused separation of the rear fender panel to wheelhouse. 

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2018 at 2:42am
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

I really need to build a drawbar mounted tire rack. Mine has a cobbled together M38 type mount. Stress has caused separation of the rear fender panel to wheelhouse. 
Do you have any pictures of your mount?  I would be interested in what you believe was the reason your mount pulled your rear panel loose from your inner fender.  I have a plan I'm thinking through on a carrier mount.  Did you catch your tire on something while wheeling.  Was the welded seam already compromised?  Kind of curious since Im not aware of the M38 tearing the body apart.
-Gaffer
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Gaffer Gaffer wrote:

Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Do you have any pictures of your mount?  I would be interested in what you believe was the reason your mount pulled your rear panel loose from your inner fender.  I have a plan I'm thinking through on a carrier mount.  Did you catch your tire on something while wheeling.  Was the welded seam already compromised?  Kind of curious since Im not aware of the M38 tearing the body apart.

When I bought the jeep last year, it was already separated. The seller had removed the spare tire saying the weight had caused the damage. After I got it, I added another piece of steel to the inner side of the tailgate to reinforce it because I wanted to carry a spare. The tailgate is bolted where the chains would go. It seems that hanging tire weight is pulling rearward. It's no worse since I put it back on. But I haven't done any hard bouncing either. I'd like to get that weight off the tailgate by making a drawbar mount. If I made it easily removable, I could get use of the tailgate again.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2018 at 5:16am
Thanks for the pictures.  I've got some ideas on building the rear tire carrier.  I'm not sold on using the draw bar but not ruling it out either. 
-Gaffer
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2018 at 5:22am
Well, I've been working on righting some wrongs.  Tonight I had to deal with this broken exhaust manifold bolt.  I really didn't want to screw things up no pun intended.  Here is the offending stud.
-Gaffer
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2018 at 5:29am
I tried the age old weld a nut to the stud and turn it out to no avail.  It was broken flush and I tried twice to weld a nut on the stud and I believe a wad of chewing gum stood a better chance of sticking to the broken stud.  Well,  I guess its time to drill.  I turned a small bushing on a lathe to fit the exhaust manifold and center drilled the bushing with a 4mm drill. Here is the bushing.

-Gaffer
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2018 at 5:32am
I bolted the manifold back on the block with three studs and inserted the bushing.  Nice fit.  I used lots of cutting fluid and went slow as possible with the drill speed to keep from snapping of the small drill.  I went up in .5 mm increments until I got to 7 mm.  I'm sorry for the metric drill usage but it was the set that I had.  Here is the drill bushing in the manifold.

-Gaffer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>