Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 CJ2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2017 at 2:58am
Jerkzack said: "Thanks for all the responses! Definitely some food for thought. 
Although I totally agree that all new parts would be the way to go, but there is no way I'm paying $900 to rebuild a transmission. Sorry, but OUCH! 
I do realize you get what you pay for most of the time, and it's not that I don't believe or respect your opinions, but I'd be curious to know if there's first hand knowledge that it's crap, or if it's just been passed down from generations to use the expensive stuff because it's expensive and people relate higher price to higher quality (which also sometimes doesn't always work out either). Not trying to start a debate, just thinking out loud! "

I understand your pain, money is tight around here too, and I have to do whatever I can to save some. But I don't like paying for the same parts or services twice, or being stranded on the hiway or trail. $900 is a lot of money, so is $575, but go to the local dealership or transmission shop and ask for an estimate to overhaul or rebuild the transmission in your daily driver. That $900 isn't going to go far.
 " I'd be curious to know if there's first hand knowledge that it's crap" Yes, there is, as far as one supplier in particular is concerned. It pops up here nearly every day. If not always transmission parts, other things as well, including steering and brake parts. Shocked  Novak's parts have been found time and again to be superior to most, if not all, of the other suppliers. Many have learned the hard way. Honestly, I would be happy if someone said, "My transmission was rebuilt with the $575.00 kit and has been fine for 10,000 miles of city, highway, and trail use". I'm sure there are cases in the world wherein the most expensive item isn't the best, that's why one should do some research before spending his hard-earned money, and asking questions in places like this is a good way to do some of that research.
  Me too, I'm not trying to stir anything up here, just trying to help.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
bigdaddy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdaddy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2017 at 4:43am
Buy once, cry once...
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2017 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I understand your pain, money is tight around here too, and I have to do whatever I can to save some. But I don't like paying for the same parts or services twice, or being stranded on the hiway or trail. $900 is a lot of money, so is $575, but go to the local dealership or transmission shop and ask for an estimate to overhaul or rebuild the transmission in your daily driver. That $900 isn't going to go far.
 " I'd be curious to know if there's first hand knowledge that it's crap" Yes, there is, as far as one supplier in particular is concerned. It pops up here nearly every day. If not always transmission parts, other things as well, including steering and brake parts. Shocked  Novak's parts have been found time and again to be superior to most, if not all, of the other suppliers. Many have learned the hard way. Honestly, I would be happy if someone said, "My transmission was rebuilt with the $575.00 kit and has been fine for 10,000 miles of city, highway, and trail use". I'm sure there are cases in the world wherein the most expensive item isn't the best, that's why one should do some research before spending his hard-earned money, and asking questions in places like this is a good way to do some of that research.
  Me too, I'm not trying to stir anything up here, just trying to help.  BW

And a help you are! Saying about being stranded on the hwy definitely puts it into perspective, I HATE being stranded somewhere due to a broken down vehicle. Been there too many times in my teens and early 20's!

Would you mind pm'ing me the supplier in question so I can steer clear? I think I know who it is, just for confirmation.

1947 CJ2a
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2017 at 6:44pm
So I've begun to dive into this a bit, picked up a Kubota V2203 last week that I'm cleaning up and will be repainting soon. Looks and sounds pretty on the stand! Only 22,500 hours too :s Gotta say though, I love the simplicity of it, battery to the starter and fuel and it starts right up!

Little video of start-up.

Getting trip #1 of the parts lot I bought loaded up

Ready for the trek home

My dad giving me a hand unloading

And I thought this was funny, nails were used in all 4 upper shock mounts

Edited by Jerkzack - 07 July 2017 at 1:53am
1947 CJ2a
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2017 at 4:24am
Originally posted by Jerkzack Jerkzack wrote:

And I thought this was funny, nails were used in all 4 upper shock mounts

Well, yeah, don't you know how hard it is to find cotter pins that size?  Confused
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2017 at 2:59am
Finally found some time to strip this down almost to the bare frame. Good news is only one front frame rail and the front crossmember tube needs replaced, so far.

And a question, if I use the 48" frame rail similar to this:
am I at risk for it being different than the original, like micjen's seen here? Am I going to have to replace both rails to keep the frame symmetrical?

Making the most of my outdoor garage LOL

Out with the '82 Toyota Tercel 3A motor!

And trans/tc

Edited by Jerkzack - 02 June 2017 at 3:05am
1947 CJ2a
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2017 at 1:22am
Can I get the part # on those shock nails?
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 2:39am
So I finally got around to hacking off the bubba plate reinforcements on the front right corner. Looks pretty rough underneath, and I think the only way to fix it is the 49" frame rail and crossmember tube from Walck's or similar. Am I right? I don't think the shorter frame rail option is quite long enough. 

Before:

During:

After:
1947 CJ2a
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2017 at 3:30am
WOW!

That's nasty.
Nothing that time and money can't fix.

Good luck.

Jon
15 Field RCA
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2017 at 6:15pm
Haven't updated this thread in a while. Mainly because I haven't made much progress, it's been slow going. Too many other projects, but hoping to concentrate on this a lot more over the next year. 

In August I pulled the exhaust manifold, which broke in half on it's way off. Then pulled the exhaust studs to replace with new. Bought this tool on Amazon for around $20ish, best $20 ever spent, so slick!

Then tapped the holes 

Then in October I drilled a hole in each side of the block for the dipstick and turbo drain 

I'm slightly worried though. I had to put a slight bend in the dipstick or else the crankshaft would hit it on rotation. 

Then blocked off the front of the cast iron oil pan so I could turn the pan 180 degrees to keep the rounded part of the pan towards the front. Turns out after 2 hours of fighting, front to back on these pans are just slightly different, slightly enough to cause a person to fight for 2 hours before giving up.

Ah well, it'll stay sealed as-is. 

Then later October I took the frame to a local restoration shop who cut out the bad section of the frame and welded in new for me. I didn't trust myself to DIY this and get everything lined up like it should be. 

His own '67 Porsche 911 that he's been working on in his spare time over the last few years. 

[

Wasn't much holding this side together!

Then today I decided to pull the transfer case and trans apart to see what they look like as I can rebuild these in my basement over the winter. 

Hard to get a picture, but the fluid that came out was clear like honey, and THICK! I'm happy as I've seen some pretty awful looking substances come out of the trans of other members on here. 

A bit of surface rust, but I think they will polish up ok with minimal pitting. 

That's it for now. As much of an update over a few months as some of you guys complete in a few hours! 

Edited by Jerkzack - 05 May 2018 at 12:14pm
1947 CJ2a
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2017 at 6:47pm
Keep at it.

My transmission transfer case rebuild took about 8 days over a two month period.

15 Field RCA
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2017 at 12:19am
Really cool project so far. Diesel jeep swaps have a special place in my heart. I did a mercedes swap on my jeep a few years ago.  Where did you source your Kubota from? Ive seen a few on ebay and stuff, but they want like $2000 for them. I also heard stories of people getting them from refer trucks for $100. 
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2017 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Really cool project so far. Diesel jeep swaps have a special place in my heart. I did a mercedes swap on my jeep a few years ago.  Where did you source your Kubota from? Ive seen a few on ebay and stuff, but they want like $2000 for them. I also heard stories of people getting them from refer trucks for $100. 

Thanks! That's where mine came from, an old reefer truck. Paid around $375 for it. I think it has high hours, but we'll see what it runs like before worrying about a rebuild.
1947 CJ2a
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2017 at 1:43pm
Adam it's nice to see your progress,he did a nice job on your frame.Did you get that front frame section from Willys Acres or Jason at East Coast Vintage Vehicle or some other place else? I have a friend you is going to try to do the same engine swap.Keep up the good work and keep those pictures coming.
Merry Christmas Thumbs Up
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

Adam it's nice to see your progress,he did a nice job on your frame.Did you get that front frame section from Willys Acres or Jason at East Coast Vintage Vehicle or some other place else? I have a friend you is going to try to do the same engine swap.Keep up the good work and keep those pictures coming.
Merry Christmas Thumbs Up

Hey Gil! I got the frame section and crossmember from Walcks here:
https://walcks4wd.com/front-right-frame-rail-48-long.html 

Small update on the worlds slowest CJ2a project. Got the transmission torn apart and cleaned up somewhat. Pleasantly surprised, no chips, no major rust or pitting. Some wear on the reverse idler and 1st? gear on the cluster gear but from what I've read, that's to be expected and can still be used as-is. No major wear on the sycros (from what I can tell anyway).

My biggest concerns right now are the wear/chips on the end of the main shaft, and the wear into the case itself where the cluster gear thrust washer spun and wore into the case. I have 4 other t90's I'm going to pull parts from and see what the cases and main shafts are like in those, hopefully a bit better. Has anyone else had case wear like this and still reused it?

But maybe someone sees something I didn't see? (First time ever having one of these apart). Keep in mind this is a budget build, so I can't really justify putting $500+ into trans parts, at least till this thing is moving under it's own power. 

Now onto pics!

Sludge. But not the worst I've seen on here!

Edited by Jerkzack - 29 Jan. 2018 at 5:31pm
1947 CJ2a
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2018 at 2:50am
Small update. Trans is back together! Rebuilt using this kit from Summit Racing. 
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/cwa-t90maskit

Started the t/c tear down tonight

Also have been hacking more and more bits from the frame, it's ready now to be taken for sandblasting. 

When it comes time, what is the solution to worn out shackle bracket threads? Use H style shackles? Replace shackle brackets? 

Edited by Jerkzack - 11 Apr. 2018 at 2:56am
1947 CJ2a
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2018 at 3:59am
Those threads weren't all that deep when they were new.  They look to me like they're still usable.  I'd clean 'em up and see how well the bushing fits before replacing them.   
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 4:15am
So I tore down a spare transfer case today that has a 1.25" inter shaft. Is that brown stuff gear oil or mud?  Confused

The thrust Washer spun in the case and wore deep grooves into the case. Is this still safe to use? Or should I tear into my other spare 1.25" case and see what that looks like? 

Edited by Jerkzack - 05 May 2018 at 12:17pm
1947 CJ2a
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>