Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A 1947 CJ2A a DIY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2018 at 12:39pm
Got the guide posts installed over the weekend...hired a guy and son to help out hoping for tomorrow...transmission and transfer case are up about 12" in the air and we got stuck there...the transmission is started into its new home and it stopped...not sure what is going on...so I called in some hired help...

filled in a bunch of holes in right rear corner on the tub...

I thought I had it sold...gotta a call from a fellow on Friday and he said he had a buyer for it....could I send him more pictures...so I did...have not heard anything from him since....oh well...

it is what it is...

Wednesday night in the Maltaville hood....

Transmission / Transfer case / crossmember is back in the Jeep where it belongs...it took 3 guys about 1 hour to get it installed...

Time to put all the bolts back onto this old Willys...get it moving again...

MikeC

Edited by mikec4193 - 27 Sep. 2018 at 1:48am
I am the squirrel....
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2018 at 12:27am
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SGT-CU130

Ordered this guy last night and it already shipped out this morning...I still can't believe I am buying parts for a Willys Jeep from Summit racing...

Next thing is how to mount it when it gets here...the hodge podge in it now is not looking good at all...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2018 at 12:24am
Had to work a double yesterday...but I had a couple hours off tonight....the CU130 Spectra radiator that I read on here was the one I needed to cool the old V6 in a Flatfender Jeep...It came yesterday so I was stoked to get installed in the old Jeep...guess what???...it wont fit...not even close...

so back to using the old one...not sure where it came from but it will have to work for now...

not sure what went wrong here....

looks like the old one is about 18" tall...the Ford Mustang CU130 radiator is a lot taller...

So I started grinding on what the builder had fabricated so I could get the hood to shut...I think they left one of the old Willys bottom supports on the frame...so we will be cutting and fitting to make something up to work....hubba bubba at his best right here.....

Next once I get this little part of the project figured out...gotta do some bubba-ing for the lower radiator hose...I have some thoughts but gotta get this all bolted back into place....

MikeC

Edited by mikec4193 - 04 Oct. 2018 at 12:42pm
I am the squirrel....
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 8:11pm
Killed 2 more grinding wheels on the old Jeep...but we got the radiator mounts back in so I can bolt everything up again...

Got it so the hood should be able to shut now...found these stickers on the underside of the hood...K&N filters...this must have been some mean animal back in the day...
so it is coming along slowly... fix one piece and then something else pops up... the radiator thing I spoke of and still not sure what happened...the only thing I can think of is they sent me the wrong one...oh well live and learn...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2018 at 6:54pm
Had some work done on my foot so it slowed me up....trying to get someone onsite to talk me thru the electrical on this Willys Jeep...kept looking at the front of the motor since I took the 2 electric cooling fans off and well....another call to Summit racing and we have a handy dandy mechanical cooling fan again...

And it fit...I love GM parts...

Had to order a 1.00" spacer too to make it all work...

before shot here....
All nice and shiny too...

Got the tub all bolted down again....gotta finish bolting it tight...

Now the deal is how can a V6 Buick motor bolted to a stock T90A transmission make the motor offset to the left???

Any thought V6 guys and gals??? I am stumped....oh yeah still for sale if anybody wants it...been in the garage since it showed up here in June of 2018....

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2018 at 12:40am
  The L134 was offset to the left......   That's probably how the V6 wound up there......     BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2018 at 11:00pm
So we got it run todaySmile....no blue smoke...no knockin...nothin...I have never heard it run before and I have had it here at the compound for almost 6 months...

Not too good with electrical and this ole Jeep is a....well...it is GM based harness and well...it is a mess...found out Carl Walck sells a complete wiring harness for a V6 CJ5....it is $300.00...the fellow that helped me get it running today says it needs a new harness either way...might just have to bite the proverbial bullet and make it right again...

Had a good day until the power went out...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2018 at 4:46pm
Congrats Sir ClapClap That is always a memorable moment Thumbs Up
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2018 at 12:04pm
Ordered one of these....not good electrically but I have rewired 2 old vehicles before...we can only pray the good Lord looks down on me favorably....

Wish me luck...

MikeC

I bought a 47-49 KB International pickup box the other day...the fellow dropping it off...thinks he wants to buy the hot rod...we will see how if it pans out or not...

Edited by mikec4193 - 17 Nov. 2018 at 12:07am
I am the squirrel....
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2018 at 3:30am
I don't think you'll have a problem.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2018 at 9:31pm
Hi CJ2A folks

Went out and bought a brandy new Rebel wiring harness...

Trying to figure out where to mount it now...spent many hours today trying to get a front fender to 
mount up...come to find out these fenders are 1 1/2" longer than they are supposed to be....I must have gotten some odd kinda front flat fenders....

The instructions say to mount the fuse block it to a flat surface...it is all fine and dandy but the wires are thicker than the standoff is on the fuse block....

so I had some really small steel tube...did some cutting and fitting...

Here it is before I mounted it....

Anybody heard of flatfender Jeep with a longer front fender??? I mounted the front grill first in the hole on the front cross member and the fenders would not bolt up...had to take the grille off...bolt one of the fenders on to the tub...then reattach it to the grille....the tab 1 1/2" farther forward now...

Maybe I have some kinda super rare experimental front fenders off some unknown prototype...like a CJ2B???....hey you never know...

MikeC

Edited by mikec4193 - 17 Nov. 2018 at 9:33pm
I am the squirrel....
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2018 at 10:13pm
Repro fenders?  Maybe leave the tub loose, place the grille, then the fenders, then see how the tub lines up. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2018 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by mikec4193 mikec4193 wrote:

Trying to figure out where to mount it now...spent many hours today trying to get a front fender to 
mount up...come to find out these fenders are 1 1/2" longer than they are supposed to be....I must have gotten some odd kinda front flat fenders....

Anybody heard of flatfender Jeep with a longer front fender??? I mounted the front grill first in the hole on the front cross member and the fenders would not bolt up...had to take the grille off...bolt one of the fenders on to the tub...then reattach it to the grille....the tab 1 1/2" farther forward now...

Maybe I have some kinda super rare experimental front fenders off some unknown prototype...like a CJ2B???....hey you never know...

MikeC

Maybe the tub is 1 1/2" forward?
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2018 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Maybe the tub is 1 1/2" forward?

Hey Berrettajeep

I went back and looked...the tub is mounted in all the stock holes except the rear 4 and they really count I dont think...

Got the other fender mounted up on it...now it looks like flat fender Jeep...mounted up and gas filler neck as the PO had the tank mounted under the rear floor...

then we did this too..

and this too...

looks like now...

did some other misc cosmetic surgery too...

anybody wanna help me rewire this thing???

gotta get this thing done...

I picked up a 1947 International we are gonna make into a traditional style old school hot rod...

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 12:45am
Hi CJ2A folks

So I am facing my fears and I guess I am gonna be rewiring this ole Jeep...first I had to find a place to mount the new fuse block...I remember the last one I had there was some electrical stuff on the passenger side inner fender panel...fenders were all cobbled up so...so spent sometime do some cuttin and weldin and grinding too...

Fenders are approx. 1" longer than they are supposed to be so...had to redrill the front mounts...

looks like about 1" give or take

a little drillin too....

the fenders well...they are old....so...

we like to grind too....

but look mom....we have fenders that bolt onto the body...!!!!!

I am so thankful this stuff does not have fit all that well...because we were putting fenders on with huge screw drivers and hammers too...

next stop...my Kryptonite...electrical.....:( 

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2018 at 4:12pm
Mike, I finally got a chance to read through your whole thread.... Looks like a ton of work! Good job! It will all come together and be totally worth it! Thanks for keeping us posted. -Seth
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 9:42pm
This is funny again...I am buying parts for a Willys Jeep from "Speedway motors" and Summit racing...I think about and laugh...i mean the only thing slower than these vehicles is a model T...

I was not planning on swapping out gauges but I had to take a fuel gauge and one other out with and angle grinder......so I thought I better get them all new ....

fuel gauge too...

Spent a couple hours getting the new wires all layed out on the underside....had to buy some split convoluted wire covering and plastic clips too....once that shows up should be able to finish the bottom side...the harnesss came with a "Third Brake Light"...not sure where to put one but thankful it has it just in case...also went online and found a wiring schematic for the aftermarket turn single set up that came on it....

then we tackle the under the dash stuff ....even found a new brake switch for it at Speedway Motors...

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
1988YJ7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1988YJ7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 3:17pm
Is it an optical illusion or is that drivers side fender way back? It looks like the hood is hanging over a lot.
Matt Miller
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>