Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 T3-C overland build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatwerx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1947 T3-C overland build
    Posted: 16 July 2021 at 3:15pm
I posted and introduced myself in the General section before I found the "Your Project" section. 

I picked up a 1947 T3-C and have added a rack for a roof top tent, lock-n-roll hitch, pop-up table/desk on rear swing out door. 

Planning to flip the axle in the next week or 2 (waiting on spring seats) to gain a little more lift until I dig into an axle less suspension swap. Right now I carry my camping bin, propane fire pit with 30lb propane tank, chairs, cooler, 7 gallon water jug, and tools. She's been on multiple off-road/overland trips and performs flawlessly. 

After the axle flip, I'm planning on building a taller tent rack to mount jack, shovel, axe, and possibly a RotoPax. I've added a wood floor which I will be removing to reinforce the floor and frame as well as modify the floor with a router to allow the propane tank to sit in the wood. Also the floor has 10 d-rings for securing gear. 

Looking into 30-40 gallon water tanks so I can plumb a line out of the side of the trailer for a shower and spigot quick connect as well as add a quick connect for the propane so I can be lazy and not take in and out of the trailer Big smile

Will more than likely change the color to match my 2008 Lexus GX470 as well as the wheels and tires. Currently running 31" tires and will probably keep that size, just get matching wheels/tires that the GX is wearing. 

Heres a link to current photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vDg2kJvDUCkhKPwB7

I'll be updating this thread as well as the photo link. If the link doesn't work, please let me know. I've had issues with it before 🤷🏽‍♂️

Thanks for reading and I look forward to reading all your threads and learn as much as I can.

Edited by flatwerx - 16 July 2021 at 3:48pm
Adam Rivera
1947 Bantam T3-C (modified)
Tow vehicle: 2008 Lexus GX470
flatwerx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatwerx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2021 at 3:33pm
SN: 21569 was the original but Colorado gave me a new VIN and tag. The SN wasn't anywhere on the trailer, only on the title. We looked everywhere!
Adam Rivera
flatwerx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatwerx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2021 at 7:23pm
Looks like one of the leaf springs is broken at the eyelet. So I'll have to order new ones and while I'm at it, add some shocks, and replace some other parts. 

Anyone know if its possible to get a new hub or axle that will not protrude out of the center of the wheel? I plan on getting matching wheels/tires and would love to use the center caps. 

You can see the hub/axle in the photo link above.

Adam Rivera
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2021 at 8:26pm
Adam,
From your intro, you mentioned the hubs weren't standard:

Quote ...She has 31" tires with Toyota 6 lug pattern... 

As pointed out in the post about your springs, which are the same as the jeep, the hubs originally are also exactly like the jeep.  This was intentional.  The civilian trailer version didn't change that.  The only deviation was to eliminate the shocks (found on military trailers).   So to repair or replace, we just buy jeep parts, i.e. bearings, seals, lock nuts, shackles, etc. from a jeep vendor.  

Since you're already running non-standard hubs with 6 lugs, you may want to use this spring fix to pick out hubs/axle you want that can accommodate shocks as well.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
flatwerx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatwerx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2021 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

Adam,
From your intro, you mentioned the hubs weren't standard:

Quote ...She has 31" tires with Toyota 6 lug pattern... 

As pointed out in the post about your springs, which are the same as the jeep, the hubs originally are also exactly like the jeep.  This was intentional.  The civilian trailer version didn't change that.  The only deviation was to eliminate the shocks (found on military trailers).   So to repair or replace, we just buy jeep parts, i.e. bearings, seals, lock nuts, shackles, etc. from a jeep vendor.  

Since you're already running non-standard hubs with 6 lugs, you may want to use this spring fix to pick out hubs/axle you want that can accommodate shocks as well.

Thanks Rus! I'm learning a ton with this trailer. I appreciate your help sir.
Adam Rivera
 Post Reply Post Reply