Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A Hard to Start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dwalk619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1948 CJ2A Hard to Start
    Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 10:13pm
Hello Everyone, 

My name is David, and I picked up a 198 CJ2A over the weekend that was a single owner and basically all stock. Every time I go to start the truck, it is very difficult to start. I can drive it around, turn it off, and the same thing after I attempt to restart immediately. Has anyone experienced similar problems or is this just me?

I order new points, coil, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and a condenser, which I will install tonight. 

David
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 11:30pm
Maybe start with the basics, fresh fuel, compression ignition, and timing. A good battery is necessary for cranking speed.
The new ignition parts may be needed, but if the carb needs attention the problem may persist.
Does it start easily if you pour a little gas down the carb throat?
Work systematically and verify each aspect as you go.
BOULDER 48 2A
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 11:38pm
What are the symptoms of “very difficult to start”?

Edited by Michaeltru - 17 Sep. 2020 at 11:40pm
Mike in AZ
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2020 at 12:10am
I'd start with timing.  My 47 would take a bit of cranking and choke/fuel when it was cold.  Warm, it wouldn't want to start at all.  I reset the timing and just barely hit the starter and it was running.  Start with the simple and cheap things first. Just my 2 cents.
Dave
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2020 at 2:01am
I also would like to know what is meant by, “very difficult to start”?

I agree with the above advice. I would add, do one thing at a time.

If you do two things and the issue is, god forbid, worse, how do you know which one to fix? If you swap out five items, which one(s) are bad? All five?

Keep in mind that just because a part is new does not mean that it is good. I can not count how many new condensers I have found to be bad straight out of the box. I have repaired many engines that have a fresh tune-up by re-replacing a new condenser. Buy USA, German, or Mexican condensers. No Chinese or Indian junk! I like the German Bosch ones myself.
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2020 at 5:07am
Matt is there a particular model, part number or supplier for the good condensers?
Thanks, Bob
oldmansimek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmansimek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2020 at 1:06pm
Make sure you get the correct cap and rotor for your distributor!  When I got my 2A it had a hard time starting and didn't run very well, carburetor was the main issue however the previous owner had the wrong rotor in the distributor.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2020 at 1:26pm
Welcome to the CJ2A Page!

Save all the parts you take off of this Jeep.  There is a good chance your problem may be a contact surface that needs to be cleaned / tightened.

What do you mean Hard to start?  Tell us what is it is doing.   6 Volt systems are by their nature hard to start compared to 12 volt systems.  If you have a dirty or loose ground (-) connections or a weak connections (+) delivering 6 volt to your starter it will be hard to start.  

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2020 at 1:30pm
I agree, don't start throwing a bunch of new parts into the mix before you identify the problem.

If it starts at all it is getting spark so the ignition system is working. Instead of replacing those parts I would pull the distributor cap and make sure there is no corrosion on the contacts.

I would check timing first. If you don't know how do a search of this forum thread and there are plenty of posts explaining this.

Next I would look at the carburetor.

Since it does finally start it is getting fuel, but the hard starting could be an issue with the carburetor. Could be dirty and clogged up, could be a worn out accelerator pump, could be several things. 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Durkus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durkus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2020 at 3:19am
Replace all the vacuum lines and if possible the gaskets between the carb base and intake manifold.  Mine started hard and didn’t idle.  Redid these and start and idles perfect.  Also step into replacing electric parts.  One thing at a time.  Don’t install new plugs, points, wires, rotor, cap at one time.  Take your time so if all the sudden it does not run you have only changed one thing.

Another thing for hard starting.  If you have glass bowl on fuel pump make sure to replace cork seal.  I actually made a new one from cork glass coaster (don’t tell my wife). And make sure all gas lines are tight.  When the CJ sat the gas would leak out Between pump and carb..
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2020 at 1:46am
Originally posted by Bufordjeep Bufordjeep wrote:

Matt is there a particular model, part number or supplier for the good condensers?
Thanks, Bob

I have a five gallon bucket about 1/4 full of NOS, (New Old Stock), German Bosch points & condensers for air cooled VWs. I bought it at a "going out of business" auction about 15 years ago.

I adapt the condensers to work on the Willys. This is one of the few items that did not burn up in my barn fire. I think that most FLAPS, (Favorite Local Auto Parts Store), would have them. My local NAPA does.
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2020 at 10:12am
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply