Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 60>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
    Posted: 19 Feb. 2021 at 1:52am
I've never started an official thread for my jeep and keeping track as far as I remember, so why not now!

Most of you already know of me and my jeep, and its history with me already.

Bought in Wisconsin, in late summer of 2018 and towed to Delaware. In maryland it came off my trailer, went up a hill and split a 6 inch tree in two, and rolled over on the side of the maryland turnpike an hour from Alexandria 

It before

The jeep after the accident, before flipping it

It stuffed massive damage to the frame, and steering system. The windshield was also torn up, but the glass survived!

So for a while I toiled in defeat. Being young and with not much financial backing I slowly a methodically made a turn around.
This was my workshop

And these were about the extend of my tools

And today, while not done, it certainly puts a smile on my face when I turn into the drive way, because it always looks excited and happy to see me

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2021 at 1:55am
This was how I had to work on it for a while and how it sat for a while until crucial repairs were made to the steering and frame

Chrismas of 2018 it was driving!

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2021 at 1:57am
It was named after my great grandfather, who raised my dad. He was a veteran of the US navy from WW2 and was present for the bikini atoll atom bomb tests. He was about 6' 5" and 350lbs and a very imposing figure, and my dad gave him that nickname. So I shall carry it on. He was referred to by most as poppop David "Duty" Hands
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2021 at 2:00am
And as for me, I'm a young buck; about to reach the age of 22. I've been working in manuel labor since I graduated high school, but last year got promoted and have had more time and less stress. In between work I am with the National Guard, and spent some quality time in DCAngry. I am now engaged as well and now we hunt for a house. And believe me I am excited to get this into a garage!
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2021 at 2:06am
Mechanically the jeep is pretty standard. It does have an industrial head on it, which I havent had an issue with so shall leave be. Its exactly how I wanted it, stock and "easy" to work on. You'll notice it has an MB grille and windshield. That was on purpose. I want the look of the MB but the transmission of the 2a and this was the easiest for me to do. It's not a show peice by any means. But it's fun to look at and helluva lot of fun to drive
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2021 at 2:10am
Congratulations all the way around, glad to hear your making good progress.
That Jeep reminds me of one that I posted a link to on this site a while back The color scheme kind of stands out. Thanks for  correcting that, by the way    
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2021 at 2:37am
Absolutely lol. I found it on ewillys in 2018. and damn I was excited to cover that color mistake 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2021 at 12:10pm
There's no forgeting that previous paint job LOL  Glad to see it gone Thumbs Up

Nice work!
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2021 at 12:31pm
you are absolutely correct, as much as i want to forget it, it wont be! sometimes if i scratch the inside tub too hard, some of the remaining pink rhino line shows through, but i am quick to cover it.

come to think, my engine bay still has some pink in hard to reach  areas
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2021 at 12:40pm
you can also see in the first picture, some body work that needs done over the rear fender....
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2021 at 12:47pm
Now I picked up this Carter fuel filter off ebay recently and I'm excited about it.

Now do you think this hair crack will be a bother? 

And what size fittings do the fuel lines use, like line to filter and filter to carb
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2021 at 3:09pm
 I would not use that glass bowl on the filter. Hair line cracks get bigger with heat and cold applied repeatably, being next to the engine. I wouldn't risk it IMO.

The Willys looks much better than when you got it. Thanks for sharing.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2021 at 1:00am
///

Edited by General Eisenhower - 14 Feb. 2022 at 11:40am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2021 at 1:29am
Talk to Scoutpilot about the glass bowl, he may be able to help.
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2021 at 1:50am
That's who I thought you would recommend!
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2021 at 3:28pm
I got some M38 tie rod joints off ebay, US made so I'll be upgrading my steering when they thaw out. 

Any suggestions for where to mount a grease gun that's not under the hood or in the bed? It is a hand trigger style, not the old school pump
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 2:19am
Alright after about 4 hours of struggle and swearing the new tie rods are on. And I painted the dipstick and radiator cap. Red is easier for me to see than yellow which was considered. I'll let a pick of the new tie rods installed. 

About how far should the front wheels be facing each other?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 3:30am
"About how far should the front wheels be facing each other?"

3/64" - 3/32"

It's in the Steering Specifications on page 222 of the Service Manual for Universal Jeep Vehicles. Instructions are on page 218, paragraphs O-10 and O-11.
  You do have a service manual, right?
BW

Edited by Bruce W - 22 Feb. 2021 at 3:35am
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 60>