Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 60>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 9:02pm
///

Edited by General Eisenhower - 14 Feb. 2022 at 11:57am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 9:16pm
Sorry for the triple picture 

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 9:17pm
  Is that one of the new “split-bowl”pumps, with a wall across the middle of the bowl? I have no experience with them but am trying to collect some opinions/knowledge. 
  Yes, what I can see of your tank-to-pump line presents a fine example of the cause of a lot of fuel problems. Extra joints, too-big clamps, 5/16”hose on 1/4” line, no dog-knots, etc. it would be better if it were all hose, but I always install a one-piece steel line. 

THOSE COMING TO COLORADO FALL COLORS TOUR, PAY ATTENTION !!!!

BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 10:17pm
Yea imma get just solid rubber and save me the pain and it is the split bowl. Not sure what the differences are
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2021 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Is that one of the new “split-bowl”pumps, with a wall across the middle of the bowl? I have no experience with them but am trying to collect some opinions/knowledge. 
  Yes, what I can see of your tank-to-pump line presents a fine example of the cause of a lot of fuel problems. Extra joints, too-big clamps, 5/16”hose on 1/4” line, no dog-knots, etc. it would be better if it were all hose, but I always install a one-piece steel line. 

THOSE COMING TO COLORADO FALL COLORS TOUR, PAY ATTENTION !!!!

BW 

Yes learn from this rats nest and keep your fuel system clean and organized and straight forward, otherwise it's a headache
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2021 at 7:12pm
Well today I got my fuel pump working and seems to work really well! I will rebuild the OG one i have, and I will replace the shotty fuel line with a solid rubber line
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2021 at 1:25pm
And for you Bruce, the pump works well, but I've noticed because of the split bowl, when the jeep sits for a few days, you can see the fuel settle at different heights. I'll get a picture when I'm done annual training
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 1:17pm
Just replaced all the crap fuel line with solid rubber, now I am confused a tad bit cause I'm new to the mechanical pump, is the glass bowl supposed to fill up? If it isnt then I suppose the pump is working correctly 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 1:50pm
  On the old style glass-bowl pump, the bowl should fill almost full. Some air may remain at the top for a while, but it may eventually go away. The fuel level needs to be above the mushroom-shaped screen inside the bowl. There should be no bubbles. From what I’ve seen of the split-bowl pumps, I don’t see how either half could ever fill, but I think there should be some in both halves. If they are very low you should see some fuel movement in them when cranking or running. 
  I admit I’m only going by what I think I know about the split-bowl pump. I still have not held one in my hands. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Jeepinjase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeepinjase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 2:40pm
I have a glass bowl pump and it only ever shows a little bit of fuel in the glass bowl.  When the 2a is running you can see the fuel moving from one side to the other and I have no running issues with it.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 2:45pm
Yea it has enough fuel to cover the fuel lines and all, so it isnt starving, but it isnt full. I'll try cranking it some without starting see if that does anything. The old one I took off has the split bowl but it is rebuild able with the removable check valves
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 3:49pm
Check for an air leak in the fuel system.  Start at the carbonator and work your way back to the gas tank, checking that each fitting is tight.  It should hold a fuel level in the bowl and  2X on there really should not be a bunch of bubbles. 

Edited by Stev - 22 June 2021 at 3:51pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 3:54pm
There are no bubbles and it is holding fuel level at the bottom of the glass part, so it covers the valves and intake and output lines
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 4:13pm
Just drove it around the block and it seems more "excited" to go with this pump on it, but it also sounds a bit different at idle now that its sitting here, a sputter everynow and again but sounds like it's on the verge of cutting out but will rev up nonissue
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 5:07pm
Has the distributor been rebuilt?  If it has worn bushing it will sputter because the shaft has play in it.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 5:17pm
Not that I am aware, but it wasnt doing it before the fuel pump replacement 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 9:07am
So same thing today, all the connections are rights, the tank is about half full and it does run, but the pump just isnt filling up at all, it's just enough to feed the fuel line
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 9:21am
For giggles, I would compare the FP rocker arm length... Maybe the repop is too short? 

- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 60>