Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 60>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2021 at 10:01pm
So I took the top off the distributor and it has some play in the shaft, more than I'd say was necessary. 

Do I have to pull the whole distributor out in order to perform the corrective procedure? 

This is before I pulled the what I'm assuming is a dust cover off

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2021 at 7:13pm
My distributor has less play thank originally thought, but I will by a kit to replace the bearings, how do you get them out of the housing?

Also I'm trying to tear down the old tranny shift tower I have and I am stuck, I'm not sure how to get the lever out

Just living 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2021 at 7:17pm
I also have a small drip from the front bottom of the tranny, it is gear oil and I changed it maybe 4 months ago, so I suppose it could be over full, but what else or just the front seal?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2021 at 11:00pm
Got the number painted on the jeep, and it's my wedding date in year month day format, so the 20 for the reconnaissance is up front. It looks good and I'm happy with it

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2021 at 2:14pm
Got my great grandfather's unit painted on the jeep, he was in korea in the 140th medium tank battalion

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2021 at 3:23pm
I've had it for a while and it's a drip not a full leak or anything, just curious of its origin point, it seems to be coming from the joint between the bell housing and tranny

It is gear oil and I'm just wondering why. I can check and it might be due to over fillage when I changed it in around January I think

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2021 at 3:49pm
First time looking in the gear box, oil is foamy because I drove it an hour prior, no gaskets on the tower but all looks good

I think I'll put some gasket maker on the tower and call it good. Might replace the fluid while I'm here

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2021 at 11:36pm
The countershaft hole in the front of the transmission case is bored through the housing and I put some sealer in that when assembling. Could be where the leak/seep is coming from
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by outlw21 outlw21 wrote:

The countershaft hole in the front of the transmission case is bored through the housing and I put some sealer in that when assembling. Could be where the leak/seep is coming from

Yes I thought so, how can I get to it?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 11:41pm
The only access is separate the bell housing from the transmission. It might be possible to loosen the bell housing/ transmission bolts enough and keep the gap separated with screwdrivers and clean the surfaces with a can of carb cleaner. Maybe get a popsicle stick with some sealant and apply it to the countershaft area. Good luck
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 9:12am
Hmmm I'll have to look into that later I suppose, it's not that pressing and is only a slight bother
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 9:59am
If it is just dripping a bit then I wouldn't bother until you had the transmission out of the jeep for other issues. Ol' Red has had a small drip for the five years I last did transmission work on her from the same place as your jeep. I keep a drip pan under her when she is garaged and I don't think I have lost more than a couple of tablespoons of gear oil out of the transmission in that five years. I make a point to check the level of the gear oil in the trans/TC every once in a while. YMMV.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 12:37pm
Just picking around it today, later I am going to install the other big willys rock slider

Just a question of curiosity, why is the fuel in the bowl reddish or yellow sometimes?

Also the exhaust leak that I thought I have is from the butterfly valve rod, so I assume that's normal?

Should have my new throttle body in this weekend so I can install and be sure that is my issue fingers crossed!
If it is the carb will visit Mr Scoutpilot

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2021 at 8:42pm
Fixed my vacuum leak and now it runs like a sowing machine although it needs some adjustment, seems a little low on the idle but no more choke!
I replaced the throttle body and it runs like new

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2021 at 7:18pm
Now I am trying to figure out the dead spot in acceleration 

However I got the drivers side big willy rock slider on! As well as the shovel, that makes me feel productive  for sure, now I gotta figure out the axe but at least I have the hardware 

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2021 at 8:04am
I actually got both tools mounted, gotta secure the axe a little more but both made the 50 mile journey!

Also suprise suprise, my 1/4 choke issue is back....
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2021 at 8:07am
The wife actually weaved this hook onto the tow rope and I love it, it is already very useful!

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 7:49am
Made the 50 mile drive and it's been putting around the camp all week with no issues, lost my lights once but it was easy enough to fix. Still running with 1/4 choke, but we will delve into that later

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 60>