Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 60>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2021 at 10:42am
I was rolling it back with my fingers but with 20000k displayed, that would take to long
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2021 at 11:50am
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

I was rolling it back with my fingers ......

Variable speed drill.....but it will still take awhile. ( maybe while you are sitting around watching TV or something) Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2021 at 11:51am
So I was on the right track.... 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2021 at 12:09pm
 I don’t know how fast a drill will run it back. One place I worked at had a device that connected to the speedo cable and drove it backwards at 180 mph. In ten hours it only erased 1800 miles. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2021 at 12:14pm
I had my drill linked directly on the odometer shaft and it could run it fairly quickly but it wasnt reliably attached 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2021 at 2:26pm
A short piece of speedo cable maybe.....and yes, you will probably get tired of doing it before you get the mileage you want.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2021 at 7:09pm
  I replaced the numbers on my ometer as well as the face of the speedometer when I built up my 2a .  I cant remember in detail but it was easy. I did take the cylinder out to  do it and remember rocking the wheels back and forth from 9 past 0 and each time would move the wheel to the left of it one digit. 

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2021 at 8:00pm
What if you raised the back of it up on a bumper jack Ferris Bueller style? Wink
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2021 at 9:11pm
Yeah, and get it going real fast in reverse!

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

What if you raised the back of it up on a bumper jack Ferris Bueller style? Wink

Haha I knew I wasnt the only one that thought that. But they learned the lesson, lol I'll learn from them

Got my skid plate in today, thanks again Jay! Started painting, I was gonna go straight black but I figure this pattern looks cool

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2021 at 10:34am
And yes that's the down side face, itll get scraped and worn but still a bit of an eye popper 

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2021 at 4:40pm
Replaced my coil and gutted some more wiring that wasnt necessary, also repainted and cleaned my air filter

Also took it for a stroll around I didnt notice any sputtering this time since the coils been replaced, still wanna rebuild the distributor

Gonna move my exhaust around so its protected by the skid plate and not just sitting in front of it. It ain't hurting anything but it is the lowest point of the middle of the jeep

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2021 at 9:25pm
So it is still being weird with the choke and I'm not sure why still, could potentially need new carb gaskets, but I also know it isnt drawing air through the air cleaner, when I had it off (to install the coil and clean it it) it put my hand over the tube and it made no difference in rpm, maybe i need some clamps on it. Still chasing the choke issue none the less

Thinking about going over my starter 
Pulled both the tail lights out, left the new brake light towards the bottom and tomorrow I'm getting sheet metal to cover the holes and mount the corner handles. You can see the gaping hole where the lights were

Pulled my radiator fan and painted it too
Also want to dig into my starter and make sure it's doing ok and paint it

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2021 at 1:46pm
Gutted some more wiring out of the jeep some stuff I had no idea what it was but it's no longer connected so I pulled it out

Tightened my engine mount bolts, one caught my eye and was loose to my fingers, so I stopped that problem. You can see in the picture its loose

Working on getting my dashlight hooked up but I cant find the wire for it
I also want to hook my ceramic fuel filter up but I'm not sure how to route it, do I need to make a new fuel line from the pump to the carb?

Jeep now

Jeep about a year ago notice the ever prominent pink

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2021 at 1:50pm
I want to replace my starter wire too, its chewed up looking and looks like it could cause an issue

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2021 at 1:46pm
Currently working on a teardown of my old transmission for a rebuild and the main shaft is stuck on something so I'm stuck as well.

Took the jeep for a spin and still need choke in order to run but it can idle just fine
I'm trying to figure it out, but it seems like a running lean issue.

It also seems to take a little longer to start than normal...

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 11:00pm
Oil change today 
Napa gold 1100 for the junior military standard 
15w40 rotella diesel oil

Noted for future self reference

Also cleaning the filter mounting bracket and getting rid of the vibration 

Edited by General Eisenhower - 14 Feb. 2022 at 12:06pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 9:14pm
Pulled to oil pan today, almost no sludge in to bottom, a few bits of metal, the two biggest pictured, I think I'll pull it and replace it with a better gasket, I dont have faith in the cork replaced I put on it

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 60>