Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 61>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2021 at 10:07pm
Nothing big has happened with it, perhaps tomorrow I'll get that exhaust right... 
I did find the proper oil line for the filter to timing cover, so that is installed now! It was hidden until I jimmy rigged the previous situation lol
I'm starting to consider the permanent off switch for my brake light 

Wife and I also got pumpkins 

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
TMRoper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2021 at 6:27am
I had that problem with the brake light switch also and replaced them (4jeeps so far) with The 50`s Chevy truck switch),works every time all the time.
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2021 at 9:45am
Originally posted by TMRoper TMRoper wrote:

I had that problem with the brake light switch also and replaced them (4jeeps so far) with The 50`s Chevy truck switch),works every time all the time.

Hoping I just got a bad one, I'll order a new one
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2021 at 9:48am
Does the light eventually go off or just stay on?

Sometimes pressure will build in the system if pedal adjustment isn't right or if brakes are adjusted up too tight.

My lefty does it occasionally but will turn off after 3-5 minutes.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2021 at 9:52am
So it went off once since, but only once. When I replaced the switch initially I didnt bleed the brakes so I'm not sure if that's related, I can do that because they are definitely squishy on the pedal. But no recently I hook the battery back up and sure enough the light is still on
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 1:34pm
Semi important update for those that remember this issue

The jeep still needs choke but only when I open up the throttle. When driving if I pull the choke when putting the throttle down, it runs really well. If not itll choke and die
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 4:31pm
Could the above mentioned problem be caused by the distributor in anyway?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by RGeneral Eisenhower RGeneral Eisenhower wrote:

Semi important update for those that remember this issue

The jeep still needs choke but only when I open up the throttle. When driving if I pull the choke when putting the throttle down, it runs really well. If not itll choke and die

If you have to choke it (enrichen the mixture), that indicates that it’s too lean. It probably does not “choke (enrichen) and die”. It probably “leans out [runs out of fuel]” and dies. What does this indicate? Not enough fuel available; float level too low? Metering rod not lifting enough, or not soon enough? Enrichment circuit (accelerator pump) not delivering enough or not soon enough, or even the fuel pump not delivering enough fuel. 
  Electrical problems can cause apparent fuel problems. A rich mixture is easier to fire than a lean one. A weak spark may fire a rich mix and not a lean one. I had a worn distributor that acted like a lean mix, and replacing it solved the problem. Had me fooled for a while. So, yes, I suppose a distributor issue could be the one. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 8:46pm
Ok so that might be my issue... maybe. I know the dizzy needs a rebuild as it's got a shaft wobble that is very apparent.... maybe I'll ask santa for one.

And yes it has been acting lean this whole time, ever since I put the OG fuel pump on and removed the electrical one. 

I have a carter fuel filter just before the carb so it is a visual indicator of fuel flow which is good.

I'm not sure if this is helpful info but the plugs do seem to darken rather quick. I'll see if I can get a picture
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 9:04pm
  A dark spark plug is not always an indication of a fat (rich - the opposite of lean) mixture. It is an indication of an incomplete burn. As is “sputtering” in the tailpipe. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2021 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

A dark spark plug is not always an indication of a fat (rich - the opposite of lean) mixture. It is an indication of an incomplete burn. As is “sputtering” in the tailpipe. 
BW 

Well like you said, the dizzy could be providing a weak spark and then, could it have those three symptoms for that one reason?

Edited by General Eisenhower - 08 Nov. 2021 at 9:27pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2021 at 9:53pm
Still working on a dizzy rebuild.... just hope that it helps some
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2021 at 7:34pm
So the distributor did help eliminate the pop pop in the exhaust from what I can tell. And I seem to have found my carb issues within the adjustment of the metering rod and needle.

I feel as my understanding of the adjustments is still next to nothing, but I'll figure it out

I did finally add my top bows, just have to bolt the two front holders on

Time to start looking for tops!

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2021 at 2:17pm
Let's see, a high idle of around 900 or more, dwell reading of 30 on an 8 cylinder reader

Wont run without choke and doesnt seem to like the pedal at all

And on top of it all I have no idea what I'm doing
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2021 at 2:31pm
This is the travel for my accelerator pump, I don't have a current smaller measuring tool

Set the point gap to the correct .020 and that did help it run a little better

Edited by General Eisenhower - 25 Nov. 2021 at 9:15pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2021 at 11:21am
Current spark plug look, it's been sitting a few days

Edited by General Eisenhower - 27 Nov. 2021 at 11:29am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2021 at 11:25am
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

Current fuel pump look, it's been sitting a few days

No matter how hard I try, somehow I can't make the picture look like a fuel pump.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2021 at 11:31am
Man I'm not exactly sure how that got past me, but my mind is in a thousand places with this jeep, the fuel pump isnt one of them though!

Is the heavy carbon and indicator of something? The sparkalators are relatively new. I got this one soaking is gas to see if itll clean it up some
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 61>