Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 60>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 5:51am
Just commenting here so I get updates. Love what you’ve done and how you didn’t throw in the towel after your accident. 

Edited by smfulle - 22 Feb. 2021 at 3:12pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 2:12pm
Yea I do actually. I was freezing my ass off in the snow when I asked, cause I had just replaced the tie rods so I didnt think of it. The tie rod that connects to the bell crank was stuck for a few hours 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

EJust commenting here so I get updates. Love what you’ve done and how you didn’t throw in the towel after your accident. 

You were a big help! After I had posted pics of the accident alot of people assumed the frame was toasted. 
Now dont get me wrong, something is still bent, cause when the windshield folds down, it's not touching the drivers side pad by about half an inch

The day after
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 3:15pm
So after further investigation and inspection, my fuel filter bowl doesnt have a crack in it, it is a manufacturer defect, where the glass wrinkled in the mold. No tangible rift inside and the rift on the out side is not a sharp crack, but elongated bump

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

You were a big help! After I had posted pics of the accident alot of people assumed the frame was toasted. 
Now dont get me wrong, something is still bent, cause when the windshield folds down, it's not touching the drivers side pad by about half an inch

Head down to your local auto parts place and get a foot or so of 3/4 inch heater hose. cut it into 4 inch lengths (approx.. I never measure) then slit those lengths from end to end.  Now slip them over the windshield block that doesn't touch. Stack as many as you need on there so that the tube rests on the rubber. If you have one left over put it on the block on the other side. 
Now your windshield won't rattle or bounce around when you lay it down.
When you put it up, remember to take the rubber off the blocks, because they will blow off when you are rolling down the highway with 10 cars stacked up behind you and you can't stop to pick them up. I always just throw mine in the little space next to the gas tank between the seats that catches all the leaves and junk.
Bent windshield frames are normal for me.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 3:34pm
That's the thing though, the windshield frame is perfect, albeit slight putting here and there. I think it might be my hood, which is off a little to the passenger side. Or my frame still has a bend in it.... but I like that idea none the less!
Going to Napa later for some oil filters. Do you recommend an oil?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 3:58pm

Oil questions usually bring out all kinds of "experts." one of which I am not. 
My current engine has a bit of an oil pressure problem so I have been running Rotella 15w40 and a quart of Lucas oil treatment (motor honey) to try and keep the oil pressure up some. It has worked pretty well, but the engine knock at start up and on steep climbs has me worried so I have an engine at the machine shop getting rebuilt to swap out. I think on the new engine I will just run straight 30 weight.  That 15w40 with motor honey is pretty thick on cold mornings and the old 6 volt starter struggles some pushing the crank through that peanut butter. 
Once my oil drain plug work out on the trail and dumped all my oil on the ground. Between several jeeps we came up with a few quarts of different oil, one of which was gl1 gear oil. Dumped them all in and ran the rest of that week with that mixture. 
I go by the rule oil in the engine, good. No oil in the engine, bad. 
But as I said, I'm not an expert, on anything really. Your mileage may vary.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 4:10pm
Oh yea, I've seen those opinions, this winter has been hard temperature wise, so i want to get a thinner oil in it. I've been running rotella diesel in it, but that'll change. and it needs an oil change anyway.
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

I go by the rule oil in the engine, good. No oil in the engine, bad. 

Exactly.  Don't lose sleep over motor oil in these old forgiving engines.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 7:10pm
  I use 30w in everything on the place except the ‘03 F250 P/stroke. No problems, hot or cold. 
  You do not want non-detergent oil. It seems like for some folks, if they say “30 weight”, for some reason “non-detergent” are the next two words out of their mouth. You don’t want non-detergent oil. The only thing I ever knew that used “30 weight non-detergent oil” was my ‘57 Vespa, a two-stroke. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I use 30w in everything on the place except the ‘03 F250 P/stroke. No problems, hot or cold. 
  You do not want non-detergent oil. It seems like for some folks, if they say “30 weight”, for some reason “non-detergent” are the next two words out of their mouth. You don’t want non-detergent oil. The only thing I ever knew that used “30 weight non-detergent oil” was my ‘57 Vespa, a two-stroke. 
BW 

We used to have a parts store/machine shop that was known for catering to old & obsolete vehicles.
 Where 30ND was mainly used was in really old engines that initially had used a non-detergent oil.
 The problem was that if you put a detergent oil in an engine that had been running non-detergent, then it would break loose all of the sludge that had built up over the years & block oil passages.  Now if the older engine had been taken apart & rebuilt (assuming block had been hot tanked & all goop removed), then detergent oil was fine.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 8:12pm
 I was told by an oil company engineer that that was an old wives tale, and that could not happen. 
BW 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 9:02pm
No big updates today, it rained it's ever loving butt off.
But I got the body tag cleaned off

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 9:45pm

I was told by an oil company engineer that that was an old wives tale, and that could not happen. 
BW 

Your mileage may vary....
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2021 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

BW 

Your mileage may vary....

Well said. BW 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2021 at 2:48pm
Got leather shift boots today so I'll post a pick with those on. Anyone have a way to date the body tag?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2021 at 8:13pm
///

Edited by General Eisenhower - 14 Feb. 2022 at 11:41am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2021 at 8:28pm
With the new m38 tie rod ends, and now without ratchet strap!

Edited by General Eisenhower - 27 Feb. 2021 at 8:30pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 60>