Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 61>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2021 at 9:07pm
So ita still acting weird,  I adjusted the points to a loose .020 and it ran with more power but idles at 1100 with a 50 degree dwell. But earlier I got it at 41 degree dwell and 600 rpm idle but didnt have any power. 

I replaced the cap and rotor, and just double checked my timing.
The spark maker I pulled off and cleaned a week ago or so was sooty and rubbed off on my finger

Edited by General Eisenhower - 13 Dec. 2021 at 9:10pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2021 at 9:06am
Sending my carb throttle body to scout and having the shaft replaced and bushed, he thinks the issue is the Joe's motor repro that isnt built to the exact specs. Here's to hoping!
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2021 at 9:37pm
The wife wanted the jeep to be used at a light show for her school, all I did was drive it there.
It drove like crap, but it got there and back with mo issues, other than the known

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2021 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

We had our unit level Christmas party today and I was one of the select few that have gotten the new army pinks and greens!

This pic is great!!!ClapClap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2022 at 10:26am
So it's been almost a year since I started this thread, we got a and are still getting a good bit of snow and so I took the jeep out once before I tear into the manifold and adjust my valves, Scoutpilot suspects that's my issue...
Nonetheless it ran as well as it has been and i absolutely love it in the snow

Now my four wheel drive was engaged but it didnt seem to be doing anything, both hubs locked and still nothing, and I know it does work at least it used too... back in the garage I couldnt turn the drive shaft without the jeep trying to move but out in the snow it didnt look like it wanted to run the front wheels
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2022 at 10:56am
This link is the jeep in the snow and the snow packed into the front wheel conveniently to show its rpm

Any ideas?

Edited by General Eisenhower - 03 Jan. 2022 at 11:40am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2022 at 5:22pm
To add on to it, I jacked the front end and I hold one wheel, and the other will rotate 90 degrees. They roll together and when I engage the front wheel drive it tries to drag the jeep forward (back end is still on the ground)

It just seemed like it was even trying to turn in the snow
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 11:18am
I also know that the 4wd has worked in the past and I dont think it fell apart on me. But as fast as the back wheels spun, the front just paced as if they didnt have power
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 12:07pm
Looking at the video, I believe that you are not getting power to the front axle. I would first check to make sure that there is no interference with the body on the transfer case shift levers. Interference there can prevent the transfer case from shifting to 4WD.

You have hub locks installed. Assuming you do not have a locking differential installed in the front axle, failure of one or both hub locks to engage would definitely cause the symptoms you are experiencing. This is a very likely cause. Given the cold weather it is entirely possible that the grease in the hub locks is very stiff. It may have not had a chance to engage. To check this, you could reach under the passenger side and attempt to rotate the front driveshaft. With the hub locks in the engaged position, and the transfer case in 2WD you should NOT be able to rotate the driveshaft. If you can rotate the driveshaft, then one or both hub locks are not engaged. They will need to thaw out. Before applying power to a front axle in cold weather it is important to make sure that the hub locks are fully engaged, otherwise damage could occur to the gears in the hub lock as they attempt to engage under power.

A broken front axle shaft would also have the same effect of no pull from the front axle. A broken differential cross pin would do the same thing but you would more than likely hear a noise from the pin hitting the axle housing. Stripped differential gears would produce the same effect.

When I owned my driveline shop several years ago, many of my customers were cattlemen that used their 4WD pickup trucks to feed cattle in the winter. I always cautioned them to leave their hubs locked in during extreme cold weather so that a problem wouldn't occur under hard use. A hard engagement of hub locks under power will almost always damage them. Compounding the problem of stiff grease in a hub lock is the possibility of frozen water in the hub locks. Many of my ranch customers had to ford mud or water at least some of the time during the year. When extreme cold weather hit in the winter the problems with hub locks did increase.

Just some suggestions to check for. The hub locks being frozen is the most likely.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 04 Jan. 2022 at 12:08pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 12:58pm
I will absolutely check into that, it has been below freezing pretty much since Saturday and obviously you see the snow, the the jeep as had plenty of time to freeze both before and since the video. 
Could something like a hair dryer help thaw to expedite the process and solve the mystery?

Forgive my ignorance, I just want to understand
The way it sounds, even though I turned the hubs something inside isnt engaging or isnt fully engaging and this is probably due to frozen grease?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 1:04pm
Or just take them off and go back to stock drive flanges....Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 1:26pm
A milk house heater and maybe something to block the air from just zooming past the hubs should work if inside. 
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

You can see from my icon picture that Ol' Red has drive flanges installed and they have been that way since I owned her. One less thing to go wrong...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 1:52pm
I believe the front axle of the parts jeep I have has flanges...
I was under the impression that for general putting around they are subject to more wear? Is this incorrect?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

I will absolutely check into that, it has been below freezing pretty much since Saturday and obviously you see the snow, the the jeep as had plenty of time to freeze both before and since the video. 
Could something like a hair dryer help thaw to expedite the process and solve the mystery?

Forgive my ignorance, I just want to understand
The way it sounds, even though I turned the hubs something inside isnt engaging or isnt fully engaging and this is probably due to frozen grease?

It is definitely possible for the hub locks to read like they are in the locked position and yet they are not locked. This can be caused by stiff grease, frozen water, or damaged gears inside the hub lock.

Back in the day when I was servicing 4WD vehicles in my shop and had the occasion to have the hub locks off of a truck, I always used a light grease when servicing the hub locks and not much of that either. The brand I always used was Valvoline #632 Molybdenum Sulfide #2 NLGI grade grease. It is usually available at NAPA. Chassis grade ropy grease is a no-no in a hub lock.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

You can see from my icon picture that Ol' Red has drive flanges installed and they have been that way since I owned her. One less thing to go wrong...

This!!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

I totally agree......and it would also look more 'correct' for the Hefty Horse illusion.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 4:58pm
Again my knowledge being simple on this, how simple is a swap?

As in it this involving tearing down the whole knuckle or just pulling off the hub?

Edited by General Eisenhower - 04 Jan. 2022 at 5:04pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 61>