Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2023 at 2:15pm
I'm thinking of just converting to 12 v with a kit like this

I'm sure it being 6v is probably part of the problem at hand. I haven't run my spare starter in a few years however it would probably work, but again, if I can adapt it to 12v, no sense in leaving it at 6v and torturing it

Edited by General Eisenhower - 18 Mar. 2023 at 2:17pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2023 at 8:54pm
You might find this video useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TgJjYIlh6c

Good luck!

1951 M38
1951 M100
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2023 at 10:08pm
I did find that useful! I went through probably half a dozen videos relating to the starter, that was one
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2023 at 8:56am
"New" starter installed. It's just an old 6v I hobbled together, and it's a bandaid while I convert my other starter to 12v. Pics to follow. It does sound alot better than the old starter now removed. Starts clean and doesn't sound rattly which the my old one always sounded like 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 6:23pm
"New" starter, the cover band is absent right now, I'm trying to clean up the plate some before I paint the whole thing

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2023 at 3:13pm
Almost finished my transmission rebuild, but I think I put the rear plate in the wrong way. Other than that, everything shifts good and spins appropriately 

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2023 at 1:41pm
I belive my alternator has failed or begun to fail. A couple weeks ago I drove to work, all good I work nights. When I left in the morning, My lights would not turn on, no break light or anything. I noticed that my Amp guage wasn't moving when the vehicle was running. I changed out the guage just to check if it was the issue and it appears it wasn't (I had a spare handy, simple enough to change) my battery charger has an alternator check and it displayed a warning symbol, which I equate to the alternator having a charging problem. I was able to drive to work and back, about 50 miles round trip and a few other short distances with no issues other than lights, hooking the battery up to the charger shows some depletion, about 70 percent capacity which usually isn't the case. Anything else I can do to test the alternator to confirm?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2023 at 2:42pm
Connect your volt meter to the battery and take a reading, engine not running. Then start your engine. You should see a higher voltage reading if the alternator and regulator are working. 
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2023 at 2:48pm
Pretty simple.
Having a good battery to start with is essential (a bad battery may not accept a charge).
Also need clean, tight, and not corroded electrical connections everywhere.

What is your battery voltage? Should be about 12.5V or better (connected, but engine not running).
Then start the engine --- if the alternator is charging properly, the voltage at the battery should go up to about 13.5-14.5 volts.

Most every local auto parts store can test the battery and alternator in the jeep for you for free in the parking lot.

Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 14 July 2023 at 2:50pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2023 at 2:53pm
Ooops! I see you have a 6V system?
Cut the voltages I mentioned above in half.
Everything else is the same.

Good luck!
1951 M38
1951 M100
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2023 at 3:00pm
No I have a 12 volt. I'll get back with results, thanks all for the pointers.
I should add, I'm not sure of the battery age, but it does accept charge and it cranks really well

Edited by General Eisenhower - 14 July 2023 at 6:26pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2023 at 8:31pm
If you end up deciding to buy a new alternator I recommend you consider the one listed by Dan Sharon at CMV. 

After having two "rebuilt" alternators fail within a year of purchase from Rockauto, I bought one of these last Summer and it does exactly as Dan says as far as charging at lower RPMs. It also has the correct size pulley which allows using the 5/8" belt that fits the crank pulley. 

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2023 at 9:24pm
Yes, pending the test, if your alternator actually failed, the CMV is a good option.
Assuming you have a Delco 10SI alternator with the correct pulley already mounted, the CMV option at $122 plus shipping is kind of steep?

A low-rpm one-wire rebuild kit for the 10SI (that includes bearings, diodes, and regulator) is commonly available for less than half that cost.
Assuming the case is serviceable, it's not a difficult job. No special tools required.

Even buying a new or reman 63-amp Delco 10SI from your local auto parts store (and giving yours as core charge) is probably a lot cheaper.
Changing the pulley is easy, and if you don't have an impact gun most auto parts stores will do it for you for no charge.
I'd rather deal with local auto parts store if there's any quality issues.
The warranty on electrical stuff can be iffy (worth asking about before buying, especially reman stuff).

The Delco 10SI might be the most common alternator on the planet. Lots of options.

Good luck!

The CMV web photo of their alternator ("designed especially for jeeps") sure looks like a Delco 10SI to me.
Wonder why they don't call it a Delco 10SI?

Edited by Ron D - 14 July 2023 at 9:37pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2023 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by General Eisenhower General Eisenhower wrote:

.... I'm not sure of the battery age, but it does accept charge and it cranks really well

If it cranks well but the lights don't work that sounds like something wrong in the rest of the wiring to me.  I've always had problems with the starter long before lights.  Unless something works differently if you've converted your lights to 12V but still have a 6V starter?
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2023 at 2:06pm
Everything is 12v except for the starter, that is still 6v. It's starts and runs just fine, horn works. I agree that something seems to be off with the wiring, as the lights should work with the vehicle off, as they have done before. Just one day they didnt... i did trace all the connection between the lights and battery, made sure they were all tight and clean.
My Amp gauge has the lights and alternator coming off one side and the other side leads to the starter button on the floor and that wire is connected to the starter

Edited by General Eisenhower - 15 July 2023 at 2:18pm
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2023 at 2:30pm
Did you measure battery voltage with the engine stopped and running?
1951 M38
1951 M100
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2023 at 3:17pm
I did and it was unchanged. It was 12.4 not running 12.3 running, mind you the battery is currently charging up, I'll then run the alternator test my charger has on it and see what that says and I'll double check voltage once it's topped off as well
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2023 at 3:23pm
Those voltages indicate a bad alternator.
Assuming your wiring was good and working beforehand, my bet is failed alternator.
Drive it over to your local auto parts store and ask them to test it for you.
1951 M38
1951 M100
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960>