Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 61>
Author

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2021 at 3:52am
Is your throttle rod from the pedal flipped?  I think the bent end with cotter pin should face the carb. Might help
Mike in AZ
TMRoper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2021 at 10:55am
There is also a 'v' shaped flat spring that goes on the accelerator petal.
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2021 at 1:25pm
I so have the spring, and its correctly in place, but the rod I believe it to be in the correct spot, the bind is smaller than that
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2021 at 5:59pm
How much side to side play should the carb throttle price have? (The piece that the throttle cable and the pedal both link to)
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2021 at 6:33pm
Whed closed there is no play butwhen open there is some.
john
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2021 at 7:28pm
I ask because mine seems very sloppy and might be part of the cause, I'll see if I can tighten when I go home
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2021 at 2:20am
  The Carter WO carburetor model 636 used on the CJ2-A uses two throttle levers loosely connected by one screw. The throttle linkage and the throttle cable are connected to the inner lever which pivots on a boss on the side of the throttle body, around the boss for the throttle shaft. Motion of the inner lever is transmitted to the outer, or actual throttle lever thru that single screw, which is only tight in the outer lever. This is all to make use of an engine speed governor possible. Every Carter WO 636 I’ve seen has a LOT of wear in the pivot bore of the inner lever, on the boss that it pivots on, and in the hole that fits loosely over that single screw, as well as the screw itself. The inner lever also has a button that runs in the curved slot in the choke fast idle link. This link increases idle speed when the choke is being used. When the inner lever gets sloppy enough, the button can cock and bind in the curved slot and not allow the carb to return to idle speed. So far, I haven’t found a cure for all this but I’m working on it. If this is what’s causing your problem, removing the link will help, and will have no effect on the carb’s function except for the lack of a high idle feature. Mine was doing this and removing the link got me thru a week’s runs with no issues. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2021 at 12:52am
After driving it today, I'm starting to think of the possibility of it being related to the petal links, because I am not getting any resistance from the throttle cable...
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2021 at 1:42am
I pulled the carb, fiddled with some screws and put a new choke cable on as well, as well as a new atomizer, whatever I messed with seemed to help with the kinda stuck feeling...  I also did hammer the curned guide flat again, and now it returns to idle nicely. 

Whenever the throttle moves open, fuel leaks out, but I couldnt figure out why
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2021 at 3:27am
Leaks out from where?
Mike in AZ
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2021 at 3:30am
Around that lower throttle assembly, cause everytime I move the throttle, it drips some
 I suspect the leak is higher up
 But I've been chasing it a while, it annoys me 
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2021 at 12:54pm
Today I replaced the bumper bolts I could get in, and that was three of them, the drivers side frame horn is bent and it just barely was able to pull the 3rd through.

You can just see the last hole to get the bolt in

And I have stencils coming on the way
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2021 at 4:52pm
Big willy rock sliders on the passenger side, cleans up the lower side and replaces my bondo step

I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2021 at 4:23pm
Has anyone done a dual tank setup? My passenger tool box is a mess and I'd rather have the extra fuel anyway. I'm interested in the how to and what it took
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2021 at 2:14am
///

Edited by General Eisenhower - 14 Feb. 2022 at 11:53am
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2021 at 2:27am
  Why not try it with stenciling paint and a stenciling brush, the way it was done before “spray bombs” were invented?
BW 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 2:58am
I hadn't heard of either of those but I can definitely look into it, what makes them special?
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 5:36am
  Like I said, that's the way it was done before spray cans were invented. 'Way before, for many, many years. A stencil brush looks a little like a shaving brush. Oh, you've probably never seen one of those either. It's pretty large in diameter, an inch or so, and flat on the end. The end of the brush was dipped in the paint and then the paint was "daubed" on. This guy explains it pretty well:  

Of course, in the 'fortys and 'fifties, there was no spray adhesive either. The stencil was taped on with masking tape.

BW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 61>