Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A "Lefty" #169006

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDK76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Great find! So much potential. But I'll take the contrarian view: rust = deterioration. What are you going to do, continually rub the oxidation with WD-40? Spray the jeep in clear coat?
If you're going to pull the tub to repair the hat channels, it's not that much more work to sand and/or blast it, prime it and paint it nice shiny black. Or any color you like.

Just my $0.02.

I am going to actually keep it a survivor and replace the seats covers.  I will go through it mechanically and keep it operational.  The rust isn't bad and what is there isn't in a climate where its exposed to moisture.  It has been kept in a barn and I intend on keeping it in my shop.  

There is a chance I will replace the hat channels in the future but I won't be painting it.  I have enough parts to repair the windshield and replace the flat glass.  I will also be repairing the wiper motor or replacing it with other parts I have.  

J
1948 CJ2A "Lefty"
1947 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 9:57pm
JDK76,

Awesome photos!  Love to see the seven diamonds across the top of the pedals very 1948ish!  Dash looks great.  Key coil holes, no PTO.  Man looks like a survivor!  Just don't screw it up! 

Engine PHOTOs - Please!

Stev

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
JDK76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDK76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 5:39am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

JDK76,

Awesome photos!  Love to see the seven diamonds across the top of the pedals very 1948ish!  Dash looks great.  Key coil holes, no PTO.  Man looks like a survivor!  Just don't screw it up! 

Engine PHOTOs - Please!

Stev

Here are the only photos I have right now.  Will take more tomorrow.  The alt and breather were added along with the electric fuel pump prior to buying it.  I have the original generator and air breather with tube in a box.  I will be cleaning it all up and putting it back on.  The generator will be rebuilt so I know its reliable.  

1948 CJ2A "Lefty"
1947 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by JDK76 JDK76 wrote:

Here is the grille cover it had on when I bought it.  

The headlight rings and the parking lights look original(quite a find) I've read people on the form say shouldn't run the chaff screen because it restricts the air flow, but if you remove the finer mesh screen part it works as a radiator guard.....I've run into dried branches hidden in tall grass before, I just had my radiator recored and am running mine for insurance. That tub has me drooling! Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
JDK76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDK76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 4:29am
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

Originally posted by JDK76 JDK76 wrote:

Here is the grille cover it had on when I bought it.  

The headlight rings and the parking lights look original(quite a find) I've read people on the form say shouldn't run the chaff screen because it restricts the air flow, but if you remove the finer mesh screen part it works as a radiator guard.....I've run into dried branches hidden in tall grass before, I just had my radiator recored and am running mine for insurance. That tub has me drooling! Joe W

Thanks! Yes, they are original and in great shape.  I might have to see about removing the finer mesh screen. 

1948 CJ2A "Lefty"
1947 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123