Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2a project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1948 CJ2a project
    Posted: 04 July 2012 at 4:16am

Decided that my CJ2a needed a complete redo.  Talked it over with my sons, age 26 and 15, and decided that we would tear it down and get it done.  The Jeep is the one I bought from my Uncle Ivan about 20 years ago.  He had two Jeeps, one red and one blue.  He called the blue on the Sunday Jeep.  It was a Ford WWII surplus, still had the blackout tail lights and gun racks in the bed.  I remember riding around in his woods in the red one.  We would cross the creek at this spot with a limestone bottom, sometimes the water was deeper than others.  I bought both Jeeps and sold the Ford several years ago.  I sort of wish I had kept it, but it was much worse shape than the red Willys. 

I had the motor rebuilt several years ago and so I am not going to do anything to it during this rebuild.  The Jeep is pretty straight, has little rust in the floor pans and is complete, with NO Bubba modifications. 

We have successfully removed the tub and all drivetrain components.  The usual three kinds of trouble removing the steering wheel, resorted to buying the puller described in this forum.  It worked, but required a good whack with a hammer to break it loose.

I have lots of pictures and I am trying to figure out to post them, but I get a size limitation.  What is the best way to post pictures? 

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2012 at 4:46am
Try this site: Free Web Photo Resizer
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
sleepmba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepmba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2012 at 3:40pm
I had to resize mine.  See if you can edit the pixels to 800x600.
Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2012 at 4:37pm
If you host your photos on  a seperate site such as this one, http://imageshack.us/, you shouldn't have a problem with the image being too large. You can also set the image size on the uploading page, 800x600 is a size that works well for the forum. Just be sure to link to the full picture and not the thumbnail, makes it easier on the rest of us when you have a whole lot of pictures. The best part is that its all free.

Edited by Clone421 - 06 July 2012 at 4:40pm
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1950 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe
1984 Honda VF750F
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2012 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Clone421 Clone421 wrote:

If you host your photos on  a seperate site such as this one, http://imageshack.us/, you shouldn't have a problem with the image being too large. You can also set the image size on the uploading page, 800x600 is a size that works well for the forum. Just be sure to link to the full picture and not the thumbnail, makes it easier on the rest of us when you have a whole lot of pictures. The best part is that its all free.
An important caution to anyone using Image Shack or the other free image hosting services is this:  Their terms of service (ToS) vary.  For instance, if you upload to Image Shack without registering and logging into your account, those images will be deleted if, at any time, they are not accessed for a year.  That means that any of those infrequently accessed images in posts here will be gone and the the value to the forum is lost!  If you go through some of the older threads here, you will see references to valuable photos that are not available any longer.  Because of this issue, I strongly urge anyone wanting to post photos in a thread here to learn how to resize and upload them here.  That way, they will persist here as long as the forum is active.   Alternatively, pay close attention to the ToS and be sure that you are using the service in a way that the images will persist and continue to be available.

Here is an excerpt from the Image Shack Terms of Service:

Originally posted by Image Shack ToS Image Shack ToS wrote:

How long will my uploaded files be available?

Your files will only be deleted if they do not adhere to our Terms of Service. If you are registered, your files will be available forever. If you are not registered, any file that you upload will continue to be available if it is accessed by anyone at least onc per year.

Not to pick on Mike G, but here is a link to post in the Parts Project where he had posted useful reference photos using Photobucket.  They are gone and the post is useless. Ouch

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/corcoran-brown-headlight_topic3086_post21049.html#21049

While I'm on my rant, here is a link to a post by GaryArf, that also used to have excellent reference photos.  These are also gone missing. Ouch  Horn and Bracket

So, it is far better to upload photos to the File manager space in this forum than rely on some of the free photo hosting services.

Edited by samcj2a - 06 July 2012 at 6:06pm
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
geasson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2017 at 3:10am
After a VERY long delay, I have been back working on my CJ2a.  I had the frame sand blasted and powder coated.  It looks really good with black powder coating, but there were a couple of things that should have been fixed before the powder coating.  

The differentials have both been rebuilt and new springs mounted.  The differentials are both under the Jeep, that was a job!!  The new steering components have been installed.  It looks much better with wheels on it.  Pictures to follow soon.

I have the tub at a shop getting a new floor pan welded in and then it is off to media blasting.  Biggest argument between my wonderful wife and me is what color.  I am leaning toward Luzon Red, but she likes the light green.  She actually sent me a picture of a car she saw on a trailer that was two-toned green and said that was the color she liked.  The only problem was the car was an early 60's Rambler!?!?!?

Still have to do the brakes, hoping for good weather this weekend.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2017 at 4:29am
Let the wife have the color she likes and get another Jeep for yourself.  Win-win!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
geasson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2017 at 8:30pm
Good idea, but I have to get this one back on the road first.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2017 at 9:39pm
You can do it, no sweat! Big smile
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2017 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Let the wife have the color she likes and get another Jeep for yourself.  Win-win!

Yeh, what he said X 2
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
geasson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 2:52am
Finally got some free time and good weather and worked on the CJ today.  Got all the new brake lines installed, still need a couple of clips.  One bit of bad news tho, I replaced the rear wheel cylinders before I went any further and discovered that one of my hubs is cracked and the key is bent.  I have never seen a bent axle key.  It looks like maybe someone forced on the hub with a BIG hammer.

Ordered a new hub.  How hard is it to remove the old drum and lug nuts?   Do I need to replace the lug nuts.  Thanks
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 5:38am
I've never seen a bent key either so all I can figure is the PO tried to pound it in upside down. It would sort of explain the need for a new hub.
Same old thing, I have drums and hubs out there in the yard. Read up on removing lug bolts and replacing them. Either take them into a shop that can do the work or buy the tool to cut out the swedges.
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 7:58pm
 The proper way to assemble these hubs onto the axle shaft is to slide the hub on WITHOUT the key, as far as you can push it, align the keyways in the hub and axle, THEN slide the key in and install the washer and nut. If the key is installed in the axle shaft keyway and then the hub pushed on, well, you can see what happens.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 3:42am
Yes, but you have to insert the key in the proper way (taper to the axle), not upside-down.  Lots of Bubbas don't/didn't understand this.
geasson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 5:13pm
Finally got some time to get back onto the CJ2a re-assembly.  Have all the brake lines install and getting ready to re-install the motor and transfer case.  Slowly making progress.
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by geasson geasson wrote:

Slowly making progress.

Slow progress is better then none! Keep at it and one day you'll be enjoying your hard work.
geasson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 2:09am
Finally got back to working on the CJ2A. Getting ready to put the motor, transmission and transfer case back in and had a problem.  My son was helping me and doesn't know his own strength and twisted off one of the bolts that mount the pressure plate to the flywheel.  Have to fix that before proceeding.  What are the torque specs for clutch bolts??

geasson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 2:12am
One more question.  I ordered a new cross shaft for the clutch, holes were pretty worn out on mine.  How do you remove the center part that is held in by two cotter keys from the old shaft, or do you need to??

642624 Angle View
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>