Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 3:57pm
My steering has a lot of slop in it. I noticed that most of this is from the bell crank. So I decided to take all of the steering apart to rebuild as much as I can. The bell crank basically dropped right off the shaft as soon as I removed the castle nut. It still has the bronze bushing and I will upgrade with the Walck's rebuild kit.

The tapered pin the holds the bell crank shaft in place gave me a little trouble at first.  I finally figured out that I could get a straight (almost) shot at it if I removed the drivers side shock and used a really long punch...

That did the trick and a couple good hits with a 3lb hammer broke the pin free. How's that belt in the background look? LOL
I'll add that to the list....

So, I've good the 3/4" rebuild kit with the locking pin ordered from Walcks, I'm going to stop at Cascade 4WD today to get the king pin bearings and the rebuild kit for my drag link.

The next step will be to remove the steering wheel and pull out the steering box. There is a bit of slop in the box as well and it will probably need a new shaft, bushings, bearings and seals.

Can anyone tell me if I can remove the steering box without removing the master cylinder again?

Thanks for tuning in everyone. 

Steve
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 12:59am
A couple more pictures of the steering knuckles after they soaked in the parts washer for a bit.

And more of that original paint showed up... Would the knuckles have been painted from the factory? Or is this from some time later? 

My next step is to remove the steering wheel so I can get the steering box out... Stay tuned. 

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 1:37am
Hey Steve looks like your really getting at it! Thanks for the tip about the kroil, and horn. Just did a lot of the same things your doing but my late 48 has a different drag link, MC, steering tube, and frame for that matter. I'm still amazed at all the changes in the same model year. I've been going to Motion Industries on Walker Ave for bearings and seals. I have some new std. ball bearings for the Bendix axle shaft you can have if needed. I'll be tuned in Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 2:04am
You have done some really great work! I like your determination! Keep it up! I will use your thread for motivation for my project! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

Hey Steve looks like your really getting at it! Thanks for the tip about the kroil, and horn. Just did a lot of the same things your doing but my late 48 has a different drag link, MC, steering tube, and frame for that matter. I'm still amazed at all the changes in the same model year. I've been going to Motion Industries on Walker Ave for bearings and seals. I have some new std. ball bearings for the Bendix axle shaft you can have if needed. I'll be tuned in Joe W

Thanks Joe, I appreciate the offer, but I'm going with spicer shafts. My bendix shaft is going on the parts shelf.  
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 4:08pm
Great project! you're making awesome progress! keep the pics coming!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2018 at 11:39pm
My goal today is to get the steering box out of the jeep. I had a heck of a time with the steering wheel removal. I've been soaking it with kroil for about 3 days and today I used this $30 puller I picked up from HF.

This puller did the trick. I highly recommend it. 

So now, it's back out to the Jeep Cave. I'm going to load some more wood in the stove and see about getting that steering box out. 

Wish me luck! 
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 1:51am
Ok, the steering box is out.

By the looks of this thing, I think I'm looking at a full rebuild... 

Clean up and disassembly has begun.

Somone in the past put a grease fitting in place of the fill plug. The whole steering tube was filled with grease that leaked out of the top of the box. I can't wait to see the inside.... 

The fire is getting low and I'm calling it a night. Stay tuned.... 
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2018 at 2:47am
The steering box is apart, clean and ready for rebuild.

I was hoping to get away with new sector shaft bushings and a seal, but the sector shaft itself has some pretty good grooves on it...

So now I'll start putting the front axle back together while I wait for steering box parts... 

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 2:24am
Make sure you get a good sector shaft.  As in, NOS if you can find one.  Whoever made all the ones you can find recently made junk.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Make sure you get a good sector shaft.  As in, NOS if you can find one.  Whoever made all the ones you can find recently made junk.

I have half a notion to run this one with new bushings. It looks like an original shaft, and there is very little wear except for the slight grooving on the shaft. 

I'm contemplating drilling a hole for a grease zerk at the point between the bushings, installing new bushings, a new seal and filling the box with 140 weight GL-1. Calling it good.... 

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2018 at 1:39am
I have a couple small updates to share. Progress is slow, but I'm trying to keep the forward momentum going...

I decided to keep my existing sector shaft, and I replaced the bushings and seal. I drilled and tapped for a grease zerk at the sector shaft and I'll fill the box with 140 weight oil.

I also finished the front axle brakes, replaced all the seals, hoses and brake lines.

I had a heck of a a time with the pre-bent S lines, so I bent my own.

So now that both axles are done, before i put the steering column back in I need to tackle the leaking transfer case, repair the parking brake and add a new speedometer cable.... This is what I'm dealing with. Wish me luck! 

Edited by srlbotanical - 08 Feb. 2018 at 1:42am
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 2:38am
I decided to start on the rear side of the T-case with the parking brake, I knew it was in pretty bad shape just by looking at the outside.

The brake was packed with crud...

Shoes removed and most of the crud scrapped off...

I got to this point and figured, What the heck, I might as well pull the whole T-case, clean it completely and replace every seal... So, I disconnected the clutch linkage, and removed the 5 bolts that hold the case the the transmission. Someone in the past had cut a slit in the tub so it could be bent up allowing the levers to move rearward and letting me pull the case without removing them. I pulled the case keeping the input shaft full forward in the transmission. I then wired it in place so there was no chance it would move out on me. 

And the case is on the bench!

Edited by srlbotanical - 12 Feb. 2018 at 2:40am
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 2:58am
Started scraping off as much crud from the outside of the case as possible before I start to disassemble everything.

I then tried to get the lever retaining pin removed. I am having zero luck.

The re-builders manual shows it being punched out towards the passenger side. 

I have everything soaking in Kroil. I beat the heck out of this thing with a bronze drift and a 3 pound hammer and nothing will move. I guess I'll let it soak and get back after it in a day or two...

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Steve
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
TXtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by srlbotanical srlbotanical wrote:

I have a couple small updates to share. Progress is slow, but I'm trying to keep the forward momentum going...

Hey Steve,
I love the way the build is going and I will be doing much of the same work myself.  

That being said, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I believe you have your pinion seal in backwards.  I will let one of the other more knowledgeable guys chime in to confirm, but just wanted to save some possible headaches later on.
Ryan
'48 CJ2A SN: 161039

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by TXtea TXtea wrote:

Hey Steve,
I love the way the build is going and I will be doing much of the same work myself.  

That being said, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I believe you have your pinion seal in backwards.  I will let one of the other more knowledgeable guys chime in to confirm, but just wanted to save some possible headaches later on.

I've seen that concern come up in a couple other posts with this new style of seal. This is actually installed the correct way, with the seal spring facing inward, towards the oil.

It fits great, the "steps" in the stamped seal body line up perfectly with the axle housing and it looks like its going to be a good seal.
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 12:07am
I was finally able to get the shift lever pin out! I think it's been in there a while...

I was able to remove it with heat and a u-joint press...

Now it's time to continue the disassembly and cleaning.

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
TXtea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXtea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by srlbotanical srlbotanical wrote:

I've seen that concern come up in a couple other posts with this new style of seal. This is actually installed the correct way, with the seal spring facing inward, towards the oil.

It fits great, the "steps" in the stamped seal body line up perfectly with the axle housing and it looks like its going to be a good seal.

Oh well forget I said anything then.  Haha! Where did you get it?  And keep up the good work. 
Ryan
'48 CJ2A SN: 161039
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>