Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 9:37pm
Your turning challenges into achievements
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 10:26pm
Awesome progress! keep the pics coming! 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2018 at 12:09am
Originally posted by TXtea TXtea wrote:

Originally posted by srlbotanical srlbotanical wrote:

I've seen that concern come up in a couple other posts with this new style of seal. This is actually installed the correct way, with the seal spring facing inward, towards the oil.

It fits great, the "steps" in the stamped seal body line up perfectly with the axle housing and it looks like its going to be a good seal.

Oh well forget I said anything then.  Haha! Where did you get it?  And keep up the good work. 

No, I appreciate the extra eyes! It's this seal:

But, they are showing images of two different seals. The seal I received is the first image. The other images are exactly like the style that I took out.

Edited by srlbotanical - 14 Feb. 2018 at 12:14am
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2018 at 8:19pm
Finished up the disassembly of my transfer case.

I soaked everything in the parts washer, scrubbed it all clean, and now it's ready to go back together.

I need to get a couple things knocked off the honey-do list and then I'll be back at it. 
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2018 at 1:42am
It looks like I need to find a sliding gear and an output shaft gear, these have some significant wear.

New gears are just not in the cards right now. If any of you have some gears in better shape than these, I'd love to talk... 

I posted over in the wanted section as well. 

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2018 at 10:59am
Hey Steve you might be in luck, I have a couple of spare TC's One I know is in good shape the other will have to be taken apart. Let me dig around an see what I can come up with. You might have to take apart to save time. PM or if you still have my number call. Joe Wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2018 at 2:34pm
Sounds great Joe. I'll give you a call.

Steve 
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2018 at 11:13pm
I try to start it every week or so and let it come up to operating temperature.

Here's a video I took after letting it run for a few minutes. As you can see, it's about 140-150 degrees with good oil pressure. I'd love for you guys to give a look and listen and let me know if anything sounds off...

I get a little hesitation when I give it some light throttle. I probably need to go through the carb at some point and make some adjustments. 

I get very little smoke from the exhaust, a little blue at start-up and then nothing once warm. It will smoke a little bit when I gas it.

Thanks for watching and any feedback you may have.

Steve

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2018 at 12:00am
Hey Steve, listened to the vid a few times(not the best sound), when you pull the throttle, the hesitation is most likely the accelerator pump in the carb isn't working properly. Sometimes you can pull the plate holding the bowl and pump and stretch the leather seal on the pump to get a tighter seal if not most rebuild kits have a new one. When you where by the tail pipe sounds like a slight miss, could be a number of things points, condenser, plug wires, crack in cap, timing ect. I'd say something minor just some things to check out. Hope this helps. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2018 at 12:09am
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

Hey Steve, listened to the vid a few times(not the best sound), when you pull the throttle, the hesitation is most likely the accelerator pump in the carb isn't working properly. Sometimes you can pull the plate holding the bowl and pump and stretch the leather seal on the pump to get a tighter seal if not most rebuild kits have a new one. When you where by the tail pipe sounds like a slight miss, could be a number of things points, condenser, plug wires, crack in cap, timing ect. I'd say something minor just some things to check out. Hope this helps. Joe W

I just need you to stop over Joe, that's all there is to it. Thumbs Up
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2018 at 12:26am
Steve what's a good time, I have to go to Ionia this week(think I have an original military gas tank in the barn) Wanted to make a possible trade with someone if it checks out Joe W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2018 at 1:49am

Steve what's a good time, I have to go to Ionia this week(think I have an original military gas tank in the barn) Wanted to make a possible trade with someone if it checks out Joe W

I'll send you a PM Joe.
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2018 at 2:49am
Just a couple quick updates. Progress is slow, but I am making progress. I found the gears I needed and the transfer case is back together and in the jeep.

I also rebuilt the shift tower. I found that Bubba welded in one of the shift fork pins. I drilled that out, disassembled everything and found that one of the poppet springs was also broken. So, new poppet springs, balls and roll pins are in and the shifting is much sharper/firmer than before...

I also drilled and tapped the shift tower pin and replaced it with an allen head bolt that I modified. It really helped the slop that I had.

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2018 at 3:18am
I rebuilt the front propeller shaft and installed it. I noticed that it is really close to the parking brake cable. Is this cable in the right spot? 

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2018 at 7:26am
Hi Steve, There's a cable holder(metal clip) that mounts to the side of the bell housing can't tell if you have it installed. Joe W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2018 at 12:23pm

Hi Steve, There's a cable holder(metal clip) that mounts to the side of the bell housing can't tell if you have it installed. Joe W

No clip, thanks Joe! 

I'll figure out a simple mount right in that spot. 
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2018 at 11:23am
    This is a pic of bell-housing mount I was talking it's a threaded 1/4 hole in the bell. Also wanted to see if I was going to have trouble posting pics Joe V

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2018 at 7:39pm

This is a pic of bell-housing mount I was talking it's a threaded 1/4 hole in the bell. Also wanted to see if I was going to have trouble posting pics Joe

Perfect! That helps a ton. Thanks Joe.
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>