Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2018 at 12:26am
Thanks to Joe, I cleaned off the bell housing and found the threaded mounting hole. My engine's not quite as clean as Joe's though... LOL

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2018 at 12:30am
Parking brake is adjusted and the freshly rebuilt rear drive shaft is in. I'm getting close to a test drive!

Edited by srlbotanical - 06 Apr. 2018 at 1:54am
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 1:26pm
It's Alive! I took it for a test drive last night. The brakes work and it runs good! I'm getting a lot of squeaking from the hand brake, so I need to get back under there and do some more adjusting. But I am thrilled to be driving it around the yard! The next step will be wiring...

I'll post a video of it running a bit later today. 
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:47pm
Your passenger appears to desire a more secure seating arrangement.  
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 1:53pm
A couple videos of the first test drive around the yard...

This one is from my son's perspective in the passenger seat. You can really hear the noise coming from the parking brake. I have since corrected this, a spring in the brake wasn't seated correctly and was rubbing the drum. Easy fix!

A quick run around the house....

One of the small trails I have on the property...

So, the next steps:

- Start working on the wiring so I have lights.
- Adjust the valves
- Compression test
- vacuum test
- Work on a little fender repair and mount them back up
- Figure out a better seat option
- find some cheap MT tires in the 235/75 15 flavor
- DRIVE THE HECK OUT OF IT! I have some much better trails out back...

Steve

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 3:55pm
1st drive is always great, whether its after 1 day, or 10 years. Just keep tinkering and enjoy in the meantime.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 9:11pm
Pulled all 4 plugs. They had even, dry sooty carbon across all 4. Easily wiped off. Gap was re-adjusted to .030, Plugs look pretty new.

Compression dry:
1 - 100
2 - 100
3 - 80
4 - 75

Compression Wet:
1 - 100
2 - 100
3 - 100
4 - 95

I think this is a pretty clear indicator that I need to adjust my valves. So I'm going to do that next.
Any other feedback?

Does timing come before or after valve adjustment?

Edited by srlbotanical - 10 June 2018 at 9:51pm
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 9:33pm
Hi Steve, engine sounded pretty good zipping around the yard IMHO. What's the clear indicator you need to adj. the valves? Compression nos. look pretty good, carbon on the plugs can be from too rich fuel mixture. What's the carb situation? That's what I'ld look at first. Joe
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 9:37pm
Actually, 3 and 4 came up when wet, which is an indication they are leaking pst the rings... and they came up in line with the other two which suggests all your valves are in the same condition generally...

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 9:54pm
You guys are right, I had that backwards. The wet compression is pointing to rings not valves. 

So what would be the first steps in checking out the carburetor? Vacuum test?

One of these days I need to have you over here Joe, an extra set of eyes and ears would really help.

I think I'm running a bit rich, and I can hear the "pop, pop.......pop........pop,pop" of a miss at the tail pipe.

I have to say though, it's been a blast running around the property. I've already put 12 miles on it, now that the speedometer is working....

Edited by srlbotanical - 10 June 2018 at 9:59pm
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 4:44pm
I have been assembling a wiring harness for the last few days and made the final connections last night.

I have headlights, and parking lights, and a brake light, and even a horn!

I also made a last minute father's day purchase.

I wasn't planning on tires yet, but I found a set of these on a one day special. $299 for a set of 4, load range C, 235/75R15 with free shipping... I couldn't pass that up.

I'm pretty excited!

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 3:52pm
I will have some picture updates soon...

I spent the weekend finishing up the last of the wiring, repairing the fenders a bit, and removing some broken bolts where the fender meets the tub.

I got the broken bolts out, but not without a story....

I have the jeep on my lift, wheels off, and raised up about 2 feet off the ground.

Two broken nuts needed to be removed from the tub so I could re-mount the fender.

First stud - I weld on a nut, quench it with oil and the stud backs right out. One of the easiest I've ever done. I think to myself, "That was great! this is going to be easy..."

Second stud - I weld on a nut, quench with oil and start to remove... it turns about 1/4 and the nut snaps off. I did this once again, and am able to move the nut forward and back about a quarter turn each time but the nut keeps twisting off....

Third try, I filed everything down to bright metal again and found a good position on my knees where I could get a better angle. I turned my wire speed down just a touch to let it sizzle. 

I started welding another nut on the stud, filling it in with metal, it's really sizzling good this time, the nut is just glowing bright red... a bit too bright. 

Just as I release the trigger, a hot blob of liquid metal drips off the nut and lands on the floor in front of me.

As you may be aware, when molten metal lands on cold concrete it explodes into dozens of smaller molten metal BB's that go everywhere.

I was kneeling... wearing a welding mask and thick leather gloves.

As I started to quickly move away, I kneeled on a pea size piece of metal... this quickly burned right through my thin cotton work pants and right into my knee.

As I hopped around trying to get off the one piece of metal that was now cauterized to my knee skin, I kneeled on a second piece of metal with my other knee... which quickly burned right through my thin cotton work pants and right into my other knee....

Wow, that would have been something special to watch.

The stud did come out that time, and I have matching band-aids on each knee.

Confused 

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 2:53am
I have burn scars on my neck from molten steel.  I feel ya! 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 8:03pm
I picked up the HF manual tire machine,  pulled the old tires off and mounted the new ones. I'm pretty impressed with this machine for the price. I mounted it permanently to the shop floor and it did what it was supposed to do. I removed and mounted a couple other sets on my kids cars while I was at it. I balanced these with  airsoft BBs, 4oz in each tire.

Here's a couple more shots of the tires mounted. I also cleaned up and spray painted the rims.

I also Finished up the wiring harness and everything works! I made the harness myself. I had most of the wire and connectors in my shop already.

I think I'm going to start working on the seats next. I've got some nice bus seats that I'm going to cut down to the right size.... we'll see how that goes. LOL

Edited by srlbotanical - 30 June 2018 at 8:46pm
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 9:30pm
Love the nofender look in those earlier pictures....

thanks for posting...

MikeC

I am the squirrel....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 8:19pm
I took the pretty green bass boat seats apart and I'm working on making some new seats. I've got some gray marine vinyl and seat foam to make my own. Here's the first mock up just to see how close I am...

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 1:36am
Finished up the seats. I don't think they look too bad. Especially if you are 15 feet away and squint... LOL

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 2:09am
"Lets go for a rip eh Bud"?(thanks to shadow for the phrase) Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>