Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

"Lets go for a rip eh Bud"?(thanks to shadow for the phrase) Joe W

Yes! I'm ready Joe. How's yours coming along?

I'm going to stop and see you this week.

Steve
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2018 at 2:50pm
A couple weeks ago, Joe was kind enough to give me the passanger side arm off of an old windshield he had. I finally got around to welding it on to mine.

Before:

After:

So now my windshield folds forward they way it should, and is nice and sturdy when upright. Thanks Joe! Thumbs Up
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2018 at 3:24pm
Glad it worked out for ya Steve! Had the opportunity to meet freedom 21(Pete) he's still open to a meet an greet, pic, at the end of Aug-- any thoughts? I se the 28th ST. cruise is set for Aug 24-25-----something to think about. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2018 at 8:54pm
I finally got the registration info from the state. Michigan let's you register an authentic plate from the year of manufacture, but it takes a little longer to get back than I anticipated.

My wife and I finally took the maiden on-road voyage this past Saturday.

We put about 50 miles on the clock, with the windshield down and the breeze in our hair.

(sorry your tilting your head, I don't know how to flip the image...)

A few things I noticed:

The temp maxed out at about 210. Is this normal operating temperature?

When I was fully warmed up my oil pressure would drop to approximately 3 lbs at idle. It would come up to 10 maybe 12 on hard acceleration. Is this too low?

My engine leaks like a sieve.... Sunday morning I had several large oil puddles.  I put a fresh piece of cardboard under the jeep, because I have had a steady drip after it's been driven around my property. I wasn't expecting the multiple ounces of oil that I found the next morning. I'm sure one is the rear main. I think I also have a bad front seal in the transmission.

At this point, oil is cheap and I have lots of cardboard to park over. I'm going to have some fun with it, keep adding oil and figure more out when it starts to get cold. 

When you look back through my thread and see all of the oil soaked photos, it's obvious this engine has been a leaker for a while... LOL

Edited by srlbotanical - 27 Aug. 2018 at 9:11pm
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2018 at 8:59pm
Cool, there’s nothing like driving with the windshield down.
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2018 at 9:48pm
I agree totally with your decisions re oil and cardboard! Enjoy it for now, take it apart later😀!
Rick Estes
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2018 at 10:16pm
the "continuous oil change" LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 12:12am
Congrat's on the maiden voyage, Steve What temp thermostate ya running I'm running a 160 degrees and it runs at about 170, belt tight?, what's the condition of the water pump? Also in the few months one of my radiators sat in the barn ground squirrels filled the lower tank with dog food pellets(something to consider) One thing you could try with the oil pressure is stretch the oil pump relief spring to increase pressure on the check ball to increase oil p., or else a new spring, Also try thicker oil. Hope this helps, Hey how about trying to get a pic at Fallsburg Park this Weekend? I know it's labor day, but I'd like to get a pic in before I break something Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2018 at 2:17am
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

Congrat's on the maiden voyage, Steve What temp thermostate ya running I'm running a 160 degrees and it runs at about 170, belt tight?, what's the condition of the water pump? Also in the few months one of my radiators sat in the barn ground squirrels filled the lower tank with dog food pellets(something to consider) One thing you could try with the oil pressure is stretch the oil pump relief spring to increase pressure on the check ball to increase oil p., or else a new spring, Also try thicker oil. Hope this helps, Hey how about trying to get a pic at Fallsburg Park this Weekend? I know it's labor day, but I'd like to get a pic in before I break something Joe W

Let's do it Joe. I'm around all weekend. I'd love to meet you out there. I'll give you a call this week and we'll set something up.

I have not opened up the cooling system, so I may do a drain and re-fill sometime soon. I have no idea what thermostat is in there, so that would be a cheap change for sure. I think I was misreading my gauge, I thought that it was 200 in the 12 o'clock position, but that's actually 180. That seems to be where it maxes out, so I think I'm OK. 

I took a long drive this evening right at dusk. WOW, what a great time to be on the road, so much fun.

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 3:39pm
I've put about 150 miles on The Good Dog in the last few weeks. It's running well. 

Not that it matters much, but I have been keeping track of gas fill-ups and miles. I've been averaging about 16 MPG.

Not bad!

Thumbs Up
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 1:53am
I haven't posted any updates because I've been driving this jeep! Well recently it started getting a little too hot for my comfort level, so I pulled the radiator and it was full of gunk. I have an old school radiator guy cleaning it up for me.

The jeep also had a passenger side Harrison heater that I removed. It's no ot for a jeep, As far as I can tell, it's a heater an early 50's Chevy Delux. 

I also pulled the water pump and broke a bolt in the process. Welded a nut on the stud a D was able to back it out after a few trys.

It also had the original thermostat in it. I tested it in hot water and it works. I'm going to stick with the original. 

As soon as the radiator is ready, I'll put it all back together and see if that helps. 
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 2:06am
I'm waiting on my radiator repair, that should be done this week. I've also got new front springs coming in on Wednesday. I figured it was probably a good time to address my front frame. 

The Good Dog was fitted with a plow for a number of years and as far as I can tell the front of the frame was folded and bent back a few times.

I took the bumper off and what was left of the bumper brackets. I sanded all the years of paint and grime off with a flap disk until I was down to "clean" metal. 

I cut some plates out of 1/8 steel and I'm going to start reinforcing the front horns. This is where I stopped tonight. 

I was getting tired and wanted some ice cream. 

Tomorrow night I'll burn it in. 

Wish me luck! LOL
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 4:34am
Okay, good luck!!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 3:55pm
I'm not the prettiest welder... But I have a good personality. LOL

A little flapdisk and a little paint goes a long way... 

Now I'll reinforce the top of the frame horns and figure out what to do for a front bumper. 
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 5:15pm
Years ago in 1965 my front bumper on my 1947 CJ2A needed to be replaced.  I used channel iron.  Its what I had and painted it looked good.    
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 2:59am
Front frame is all welded up and the bumper is on. Gloss black was all I had in the cabinet... LOL

I also managed to get the front springs out, leaving the axle in place. Tomorrow I'll stop by Cascade 4WD and pick up the new spring hangers/C-bushings and the rear greasable bolts.

I'm hoping to have the new springs in and everything put back together by next weekend. 
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 4:35am
The new front springs are in.

These are the part numbers for Napa u-bolts that fit perfectly. The smaller size would be the same one you can use in the rear as well. These were in Stock, made in the US and only about $7 each. 

I cut off the ends of the bolts, so there was plenty of thread for a 10 leaf pack (these a 8)

I then got my water pump and radiator in, hooked up the hoses and filled with coolent. 

After cleaning up the cooling system, I am now sitting at a perfect 160 - 170 after bringing it up to full temp. 

I'm thrilled, and can't wait to take it out to run errands in the morning. 

Between the significant oil leak and the engine burning a bit of oil, I also figured out that I need to check my oil more often. 

I was a bit worried about oil pressure and as soon as I topped it back off, the pressure came right back up. 
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 7:36pm
The Willys is really running well. After my errands this afternoon, I decided to check a few of the trails out back to see how overgrown they are.

This is a tight little ravine that is strewn with rocks and boulders. I had to take a different line to avoid the big stuff, but The Good Dog felt great going through it.

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>