Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2019 at 4:04pm
Well done. Nice to hear it running .Congratulations.

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2019 at 5:45pm
it's the milestones that make all the stepping stones worth it Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Arsene Wenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 6:27am
Originally posted by flattiesrule flattiesrule wrote:

I have really enjoyed this thread!

Thank You sir !! 
The Deeper the Foundations , The Stronger the Castle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 6:28am
Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

Well done. Nice to hear it running .Congratulations.

Giles

Thank You Giles 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 6:28am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

it's the milestones that make all the stepping stones worth it Thumbs Up

Ha isn't that true !! Well said :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 6:39am
So after fixing the T84 - we had to get back to the front wheels. The problem was that we did not have the front wheel bearings that go on the hub. We just did not get the right size. So I had to secure them from RFJP when i was in Canada for some time. Man Shipping is expensive !! 

Drivers side 

We then realized that the hub was bigger than it should be. Over the years the diameter where the race and the bearing go was bigger than standard. 

So we made a copper weld to lower the size of the diameter and machined it. You can see the race fitted really well in the weld

We found these !! 

Seal size - 54 X 73 - The Promised land guys !! We have been searching for this for the front wheel for months. 

One day a shopkeeper approached us. He knew we had been going through discarded stuff in old shops for months. We had asked him for this seal months ago but he did not have any. 

He was disposing some of his old never to be used stuff and he noticed these !! And it turned out to be our lucky day .. !! 

The tires are on. This is the front wheel drivers side. Gents - to see tires on my Jeep after years - I cannot explain how happy that makes me. 

The passenger side getting ready. The bearings fit nice and proper like a glove. 

The home stretch (mechanically) !! 

So once the 4 wheels go on - My father wants to take a break. Finding parts and working on the Jeep is a full time 10 hour day every day. He is going away for some time and then the paint begins. 

Edited by Arsene Wenger - 12 Apr. 2019 at 6:48am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 10:04am

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2019 at 2:17pm
Looking good Sir!! Keep up the fine work... Can’t wait to see the Jeep all back together again! Thumbs Up
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2019 at 6:04am
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

Looking good Sir!! Keep up the fine work... Can’t wait to see the Jeep all back together again! Thumbs Up

Thanks for the encouragement Mate. Can't wait to fit the parts you sent me. Cheers 

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2019 at 12:09pm
I just love this build. The methods being used to reconstruct it are amazing to watch. Keep it up! Very very inspiring! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 5:37am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

I just love this build. The methods being used to reconstruct it are amazing to watch. Keep it up! Very very inspiring! 

Thank You Sir 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 5:48am
Hello All 

So after taking a bit of a breather we are back at it ! We wanted to do most of the painting at home and work has begun .. 

The easiest way for us to remove existing paint is to use Caustic Soda. There are no sand blasting facilities. So Caustic Soda it is .. .. Nothing like using your hands eh 

Sharing some photos 

We apply the caustic soda and then we kind of wash it off with water - it actually works quite well

Dried out 

We will fit the original fuel pump when we find a repair kit for the same. We have not found one yet. This was a replacement fuel pump that was made available but i would like to fit the right one eventually 

The Engine mounts are not in the greatest condition either but we have no replacements so we are making do. I will try and get replacements from the US when i can. 

Guys would the Brown and Lipe data plate be covered with paint when it came out of factory or not? 

The starter motor is 12 Volts. Hope to use a 6 Volt one. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 5:50am
Guys need help with the following 

a) Feedback on the paint finish
b) Can someone look at the bell housing and tell me if it is original to the 2A. Someone suggested it could be from a 3B. 

Thanks heaps 

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:21pm
Paint finish looks good. Most of those parts under the jeep are a semi gloss black, hard to screw that up. The Brown/Lipe tag would not have been painted. Had to read this whole build thread again...man your ingenuity and stubborn persistence is amazing. Seriously though you need to share your needs more with the forum members here. Many of these parts are small enough to ship inexpensively I would think. Is it harder to ship to India or Australia? Most of us have access to so many parts you might need and would be happy to help a brother out. I've worked with folks in South Africa, Columbia and even CANADA! I know they appreciate it. You have captivated this audience and I know they would jump at a chance to help.
This was touched on before but you mentioned no ACM # on tailgate...do you have an ACM# on the tub? 1948 was a pivotal year when AMERICAN CENTRAL MANUFACTURING no longer made the WILLYS tubs so NOT having the number is not unusual.http://www.cj-2a.com/documentation/identification/serial_numbers/CJ-2A_number_chart.pdf

Edited by damar2yxr - 14 May 2019 at 12:29pm
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 5:19am
The bell housing is for a closed-nose starter and is not originally from a 2A.  Also, it has the clutch cable opening on both sides, so that is another indication it is not from a 2A.  A 3B starter could have been either 6 or 12 volts, if I recall correctly. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:54am
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

Paint finish looks good. Most of those parts under the jeep are a semi gloss black, hard to screw that up. The Brown/Lipe tag would not have been painted. Had to read this whole build thread again...man your ingenuity and stubborn persistence is amazing. Seriously though you need to share your needs more with the forum members here. Many of these parts are small enough to ship inexpensively I would think. Is it harder to ship to India or Australia? Most of us have access to so many parts you might need and would be happy to help a brother out. I've worked with folks in South Africa, Columbia and even CANADA! I know they appreciate it. You have captivated this audience and I know they would jump at a chance to help.
This was touched on before but you mentioned no ACM # on tailgate...do you have an ACM# on the tub? 1948 was a pivotal year when AMERICAN CENTRAL MANUFACTURING no longer made the WILLYS tubs so NOT having the number is not unusual.http://www.cj-2a.com/documentation/identification/serial_numbers/CJ-2A_number_chart.pdf

Hey - Thank you for your encouragement. I have a Canadian address as well where parts could be shipped. My brother is a Canadian citizen TongueA nice CM Hall Reflector and front seat mounts are my current priority. But I will start searching for these after the paint is done. What is the best way to reach out to the maximum number of forum members? 

Sharing photos of the Body # 

Thanks 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

The bell housing is for a closed-nose starter and is not originally from a 2A.  Also, it has the clutch cable opening on both sides, so that is another indication it is not from a 2A.  A 3B starter could have been either 6 or 12 volts, if I recall correctly. 

Thank You for letting me know. I am unsure about my odds for finding the right bell housing but i gotta try. This Jeep is so close to being original (i think) and that is a glaring mistake 

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:55pm
You need the passenger seat cast seat brackets? If so, consider them found. I can send them to your Canadian brother. I would put your list on the “wanted to buy” section of the forum or just post it on your thread.
Please PM me an address that works for you.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>