Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I see another flatfender tub there.  So you won't have the only 2A in the neighborhood?  Darn!  Big smile

Hello Good sir. Smile. Those Flat Fenders are "Fake". They are not a real Flat Fender. They are manufactured / fabricated by hand or they are modified CJ3B's with the tub cut up and lowered. This is a proper cottage industry. I am 100% certain in a state with a population of 27 million and my city with a population of half a million - my 2A is the only 2A!

Attaching some photos of what my metal man hand crafted himself. 

Edited by Arsene Wenger - 19 Aug. 2019 at 12:27pm
The Deeper the Foundations , The Stronger the Castle.

Arsene Wenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 11:03am
Progress has been slow. It has been super hot,  with 90% humidity interspersed with rain. However we have made progress .... some photos below 

Base paint has been applied over the primer. I will be going for an Emerald Green Finish 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 11:25am

So i had the following hoses that were in very bad shape. We had taped it up to keep the oil flowing Smile 

Oil sump to the oil filter 
Oil filter to timing cover 
Engine to oil gauge

We have no access to replacements so we had to fabricate them.. As you can see we used the bits we could 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 11:39am
Saved a lot of my old floor

MB style trailer socket cover. I inherited this, and will keep pit as is. 

Windshield came up nicely 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 11:45am

The newly fabricated lines in use. I wanted to get these made in pairs, so that in case they fail, i have a spare. The guy who fabricated them, told us that he gives his verbal guarantee that these will last at least 10 years and if these fail, we can always come to him get new ones made. 

The G503 guys say that the Chinese made ones often fail so I am hoping, these are quality. We got them made right in front of us.. so not mass produced. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 11:53am

Working on the headlights. 12 Volts. The current state but definitely not the future. 

Paint work 

What do you think of the colour guys?

More paint work ... This is still very rough guys. We will work hard to fix it over time. I know the lollipops are all wrong but we will fix these things up.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 12:14pm
Wrong switch which I hope to replace over time. 

Shaved the rivets a bit to mimic bracket fastening rivets that are a round head for a NOS battery tray. 

Original fuel tank vs what is made by a local Indian Company. Just showing for comparison. I am sticking to Olaco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 12:20pm
Not much to say. I did not have original seats, so I had to get them fabricated. The issue is, I wasn't there to supervise and validate the small details that make it look like an original. Hence the number of errors that are visible. The guy who built them is good, but they don't know what an original looks like and they don't look at photos closely. For them minute accuracy does not matter. So the seats were a big disaster. 

Will get them fixed when I visit home next. But this one was a big disappointment. If anyone has detailed plans, like the ones for the rear seat on the website, would appreciate them being emailed to me. 

We are trying to get some wiring done so that we can get it home for some time and resume work in a couple of months. The weather makes things very hard. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2019 at 12:38pm
I did not have an original ring for the tool box lid. I got super lucky that my metal man had one hung o a string. That was one lucky strike 

Finding this original Hand brake bracket was another piece of luck. I avoided the need to fabricate one. The final finish was not rough like this 

Another person, in a different part of the country, who owns multiple Jeeps was able to help me with finding these original top bows many years ago. 

They needed a bit of work but i reckon they came out OK. 

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2019 at 4:17am
Awesome work. Thanks for sharing.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2019 at 2:30am
It's (mostly) looking very good.  The seat frames would probably fit nicely in a CJ-3A...  Keep at it, it's coming along!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 5:03am
G'Day gents. 

It's been some time since my last update. But with the monsoons in the past and cold weather arriving, we can get moving again. 

We have done one layer of base coat, and waited a few months to ensure there are no any moisture issues with the paint. 

We have also driven the Jeep close to a 120 miles by lugging around a gas can (tank not fitted), re done the steering. 

Plan is to apply the final paint finishes , and get it on the road. 

Will need a lot of help from fellow members to get it close to factory correct over time as and when i find parts. I plan to make a check list of all things wrong and then fixing them up. 

Sharing some photos, 

The first time we took it out after putting it together again. 

Consistently drove at around 38 - 40  mph. Could not go much faster due to traffic. 

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 11:37am
 Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
flattiesrule View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flattiesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2019 at 1:53pm
Nice job! I've really enjoyed this build.
'47 cj2a
'76 cj7
'01 cherokee sport
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2019 at 4:55am
I have to agree with  Thumbs Up  and add  Thumbs Up  Party  Cool!!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2019 at 2:28am
Thank You Gents. I look forward to sharing the progress we make in the coming months. 

Right now I am scouring for a) 6V Autolite starter Motor b) 6V Generator c) Correct 2A type Bell Housing - These items will enable me to get to a 6V conversion. 

Till then, we will run it on 12 Volts and fix the other glaring mistakes. 

Brian3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2019 at 3:41pm
Very nice! Thumbs Up
I wish people would quit hittin' me on the head. MQ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2019 at 11:17am

The first time we took the Jeep out - The colour is still a base coat 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>