Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 3:26am
Originally posted by mkoloc mkoloc wrote:

Outstanding work, your father did a great job with the master cylinder rebuild. Love to see all of your innovation with your project.  Please keep the updates and pictures coming.

Thank You. I owe him and my mechanic a great deal. This would not be possible without their diligence and patience searching through junk yards for long discarded items 

My Mechanic is like a Japanese Samurai sage. Very patient. Only the right thing for him.  We don't have any special things like cranes, sand blasting facilities , power tools etc. but we are slowly coming along. 
The Deeper the Foundations , The Stronger the Castle.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 3:52am
The green that is on the T/C tag is not the original.  There would be no paint on that tag if it were original.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 6:47am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

The green that is on the T/C tag is not the original.  There would be no paint on that tag if it were original.

I think the original green on the TC would've been black
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Arsene Wenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I think the original green on the TC would've been black

I have seen two colours on the Jeep across the board - The emerald green which would be period correct for 176745 and the lighter green 

A normal practice in Punjab when a vehicle is restored in it's life time is that virtually all bits of paint is scraped / removed and then the vehicle is re painted (which would explain the absence of black on the TC) 

I have tried to look at areas such as the steering box which would be hard to get at and even there - there are these two types of paint. 

I think all evidence seems to be pointing to the Emerald Green (not my first choice but it is what it is) 

wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2018 at 1:11am
Originally posted by Arsene Wenger Arsene Wenger wrote:

Some General body repair photos 

I really got to hand it to you guys overcoming your limited access to parts and hardware. I was impressed with the welding looks like O&A if so bravo! If not they still look good (min. distortion) The covers boots on your shift levers really stand out are they original? I'd take good care of them. Thanks Joe Wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2018 at 4:16am
Originally posted by wadoyado wadoyado wrote:

Originally posted by Arsene Wenger Arsene Wenger wrote:

Some General body repair photos 

I really got to hand it to you guys overcoming your limited access to parts and hardware. I was impressed with the welding looks like O&A if so bravo! If not they still look good (min. distortion) The covers boots on your shift levers really stand out are they original? I'd take good care of them. Thanks Joe Wadoyado

Hello Joe - Good Spot - we did use OA for welding. That is what we have. I don't upload videos on YouTube otherwise i would have shared some videos. The hat channel fix was really cool where we would apply a wet cloth to prevent warping of the metal. 

The covers of the boots are original to the 2A. This Jeep was used by the Forest Department, eventually purchased by the driver who used to drive it for the department before ending up with me. The boot covers were present even then. 

Even the "paperwork"  is old school and the entire ownership history is on a cloth like material, which is what it used to be like in the good old days (so i have been told). I have been lucky that the original documents survived. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2018 at 4:32am
Joe since you mentioned tools - thought i will share what we used for the Jeep

Some Aussie (Taiwanese tools) 

Some Locally made ones - We kinda opened most of the Jeep with these 

Also tried to get a Coleman Stove working - a much beloved item of the GI in the European theater of the war - it is something that we are still struggling to get working 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2018 at 4:36am
Sharing some photos of the Fuel tank and the method of cleaning 

Fill it with Water - two guys hold it and shake it vigorously for 30 seconds and drink it - this method got a lot of gunk out 

We did it for many hours till we were confident we had cleaned it up 

The Final Clean Up 

This is how the tub looked like underneath the Fuel tank

OLACO - The name says it all : - )

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2018 at 4:40am
The Grill is ready 

An Example of a wet cloth that was used to prevent warping 

mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2018 at 5:43am
AW, on your Coleman stove, how supple is the leather cup on your plunger.  If it's dried up, shrunk and no longer supple (soft) you will never get any pressure built up inside the tank and the stove will not work.  its like rings on a piston  and performs the same function when you charge the stove with air.  Do you have a manual?  I could scan a copy of mine and email it to you.  Excellent progress on the Jeep!
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2018 at 11:40am

AW, on your Coleman stove, how supple is the leather cup on your plunger.  If it's dried up, shrunk and no longer supple (soft) you will never get any pressure built up inside the tank and the stove will not work.  its like rings on a piston  and performs the same function when you charge the stove with air.  Do you have a manual?  I could scan a copy of mine and email it to you.  Excellent progress on the Jeep!

Thank you for the tip Colonel. We did get stuck there. We would pump but the pressure won't build. Any clues as to how do I replace the leather cup. 

This is the manual i use as a reference 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2018 at 11:47am
Transmission Date Code - I have not been able to crack this date and month after a brief investigation - Might have to delve deeper to figure it out . Not easy like an MB or a GPW

The original ratio tag on the differential was in a bad shape but am gonna keep it as is 

Edited by Arsene Wenger - 26 Mar. 2018 at 11:51am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2018 at 12:04pm
Looking into the old photos i took wanted to show how one hub was held together (rather dangerously) 

That shaving compensating for the gap that had been created in the hub despite a temporary sleeve being hammered into the hub

Notice the hammered cylinder in the hub - Getting this fixed took a long time. Found an old retired guy to do it for us. We had to work hard to convince him to do the job but the hub came out nice as shown in earlier photos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2018 at 10:30am
Engine Removed'

Frame on it's way for Painting.. Note that the driver side rear shock mount is the wrong type. 

The gentleman on the left is the mechanic who is making all this happen

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2018 at 4:24am
Strange that someone was able to find a CJ-3A type shock mount apparently all by itself.  I wonder what happened to the rest of that frame...  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2018 at 2:50am
AW, you need only remove the plunger/pump from the tank.   Some plungers are held in place with a small screw or a small wire clip. Depending on the model of the stove, you may have to separate the top of the stove from the bottom to remove the plunger (clearance).  Once the plunger is out you'll see a leather cup at the end of the plunger.  The cup is held in place by either a nut and washer or a screw and washer. Remove nut or screw, replace leather cup,  install nut or screw, oil leather cup with light weight oil before reinstalling plunger and reassemble stove. That should fix it.
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2018 at 7:05am

AW, you need only remove the plunger/pump from the tank.   Some plungers are held in place with a small screw or a small wire clip. Depending on the model of the stove, you may have to separate the top of the stove from the bottom to remove the plunger (clearance).  Once the plunger is out you'll see a leather cup at the end of the plunger.  The cup is held in place by either a nut and washer or a screw and washer. Remove nut or screw, replace leather cup,  install nut or screw, oil leather cup with light weight oil before reinstalling plunger and reassemble stove. That should fix it.

Thank you Colonel. Will give it a shot and keep you posted. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arsene Wenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2018 at 7:07am

What do forum members think of this fabricated Rear Shock Mount ? 

Thanks 

Edited by Arsene Wenger - 04 Apr. 2018 at 7:14am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>